Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

New Here

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 11:35 PM
Enthusiast
Smile New Here

Compiled my list of gas receipts and thought I'd share the results.

Found a new '05 Escape Hybrid on a dealers lot. It had 130 miles on it by the time I got back from the test drive. Compared prices with an '06. Looked at the tax credit. Looked to the Credit Union for their blessing. Now, only 79 more payments to go!!

Good to see that I'm not dragging the averages down for the FEH-4WD category. My first three tanks were at about the average for the other members. Here's hoping to improve upon that soon.

Anyone else from New England?
Sue

Old 11-19-2005, 06:36 AM
Banned
Default Re: New Here

Originally Posted by SueFEH
Anyone else from New England?
GasPirates and livvie are.

One winter trick some have used to get better fuel economy is hide half the radiator with cardboard so the coolant warms up faster.

Old 11-19-2005, 07:09 AM
Contributor ($)

Welcome to GH!
Your mpg looks good. Way to go, but get prepared for the cold months. Delta Flyer is right; the radiator trick works well for faster warm up. It also helps keep the coolant warm once you have it up to temperature.

Old 11-19-2005, 07:49 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip!

Q? Are items like hiding half the radiator transferrable from Honda (or Toyota) to Fords?

Thanks again,
Sue

Old 11-19-2005, 07:56 AM
Banned

It's just general physics. The cooling system is af work even though it's not needed the first few minutes of a cold morning. Cars used to have the radiator fan going all the time, but it was replaced with an electric fan that only works when the engine temperature is hot enough.

If your thermostat gets too high, then just stop and remove the cardboard.

Use of the heater also affects engine temperature. If you can stand it, wait a few minutes before using the heater as it slows engine warmup.

Old 11-19-2005, 08:01 AM
World's First Hybrid

Semi's (big rig diesels) use this method but they have a nice rubberized fabric cover that snaps in place over the front grill to hide the radiator from the cold temps.....

Old 11-19-2005, 10:55 AM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: New Here

Hi Sue

Welcome to (GreenHybrid) the must be on Hybrid Forum:

Terry

Old 11-20-2005, 12:31 AM
Prof. of Hybridology

Wow, I'm late, aren't I? This is probably the longest a new FEH owner has gone without a welcome from me.

Anywho, hello, and welcome to the club! You may want to take a moment to look through the Escape forums for some good tips and tricks to getting even better milage, although the cold is going to put a damper on them.

Don't feel too bad about bad tanks at this point, Old man winter is setting in, your car needs to break in, and you need to break in to your FEH, so give yourself some time to adjust, many of us have rather shameful MPGs for our first four tanks or so. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. We don't bite, for the most part.