Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

New HH owner and Forum member

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 07:51 PM
Enthusiast
Default New HH owner and Forum member

Hi, I purchased a new HIHY 2wd limited, nav and all,
Really like how it rides and its performance.
I purchased it in Central Texas, in College Station, Tx.
Weather is always hot here and air conditioner is a necessity of life.
The first day I received it, I headed out to Arizona's Grand Canyon. From there to Utah National Parks and to Aspen Colorado..
Lots of mountains and some desert area.
The first two weeks mileage totaled up to over 3,500 miles. I checked the mileage all the way with ranges from 32 MPG to 23 MGP. I maintained the posted speed limits. Some of my best mileage was in the mountains.

Upon return to Texas, I had 4,015 total miles and had put in 150.1 gallons or fuel; a total mpg of 26.8.
After returning to College Station, a small town of 120,000 people, my last three fill-ups were strictly in town driving; 853 Miles and 36.3 gallons: total mpg of 23.5 in town. (I live outside of town about 4 miles, so not all in-town driving.)

Total todate: 4,868 miles-186.3 gals ised - 26.13 mpg. My in-car monitor shows a total 4895 miles 26.4 mpg.
My in-town is bringing down my total average. That's not supposed to happen?
I am totally disappointed in the mileage not getting the posted mpg rating. For the premium price they demand for the HH, I am not sure how much more it gets than the regular Highlander.
I like the performance and quiteness of the car. Some of the items I am not so happy about is the air is not cool enough, no auto locking door locks, no rear air, the whinny noise when braking to a stop; (is that normal?, sounds like a golf cart. The reversing alarm works about half the time; I am afraid to count on it.

The car monitor rating for the 4895 miles todate is 26.4 mpg.
Since I have maintained records of gallons used from the start, I will continue to keep a total record of mileage.

Glad to be part of the forum.

Last edited by llpainter; 08-17-2005 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New HH owner and Forum member

Originally Posted by llpainter
I am totally disappointed in the mileage not getting the posted mpg rating. For the premium price they demand for the HH, I am not sure how much more it gets than the regular Highlander.[/size]
[size=3]I like the performance and quiteness of the car. Some of the items I am not so happy about is the air is not cool enough, no auto locking door locks, no rear air, the whinny noise when braking to a stop; (is that normal?, sounds like a golf cart.
The POSTED numbers for MPG ratings are not related to what people actually get in the vehicles, they are only really useful for comparing vehicle to vehicle. Your mileage will be approximately the same percent higher than you would get in a regular Highlander as the posted MPG difference percent. Basically if you want to get the posted MPG you cannot use the air conditioning, or ever go above 60 MPH and accelerate like you were driving a 60's mobile.

The whine you hear when braking is the motor turning into a generator to recover energy that is normally wasted as heat from your brake pads. You will have to replace the brake pads less often and stopping distance improves as well. This also happens very lightly when you take your foot off the gas and just 'coast'. It's meant to simulate 'normal' engine braking, but in reality is not really necessary. That energy is stored in the battery and later used during acceleration.

Welcome to the forums!

Last edited by Schwa; 08-17-2005 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:07 AM
Contributor ($)
Default Re: New HH owner and Forum member

First, Welcome to GreenHybrid!
Thanks for sharing your Highlander Hybrid experience.
My in-town is bringing down my total average. That's not supposed to happen?
It might depend on how long those in town drives are. Are you doing a few long trips in town all at once? Or do is made up of many short trips?

The reversing alarm works about half the time; I am afraid to count on it.
Since the vehicle is still under warranty. You may want to have them check this out when you get a chance..