Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

New HiHy 2WD owner (7-05)

Old 08-29-2005, 02:44 PM
Enthusiast
Default New HiHy 2WD owner (7-05)

I took delivery of my 06 2WD Highlander in mid-July. I have kept records of fuel and mileage, with comments on types of driving. When I have used more than 10 tanks I'll post some summary info. here, if people are interested. It takes a little while to optimize the driving techniques, and the car still has a bit of breaking in to do, I imagine.

I have an interest in PHEV (p;ug-in hybrid conversion), as soon to be offered (2006) for the Prius II by EDrive systems (http://www.edrivesystems.com/), and first developed by Felix Kramer and calcars (http://www.calcars.org/vehicles.html). I am ready when there is a conversion kit for the Highlander!

I am in Dallas, and there aren't that many hybrids here, but there are a few.

Anyone have any latest information on Toyota's ideas as to more prominent badging for the HiHy? I looked under the hood at the plastic cover for the auxiliary (i.e., battery) cooling system, and there's a b/w stick-on label (thin aluminum, or otherwise metallic?) that says "Hybrid Synergy System", but with no color and no little logo design. I'm considering peeling it carefully off and applying it to the back for greater prominence. I asked my dealer's parts department about buying just the sticker, but you have to buy the whole cover for $190. ! Anyone have a source for an after-market basdge, or is anyone making one, or does anyone want to go into the business (for love, obviously, not money)? Let me know.

I would enjoy sharing information on optimal driving techniques. The best thing that could happen here in Texas is for the summer to end! I want to see what mileage I get without 100+ degrees to contend with, and the A/C required to get to work without being drenched ("I'm not sweating - - that's a 'sheen'!").

Old 08-29-2005, 02:57 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New HiHy 2WD owner (7-05)

Hi Tom,

Congrats on your purchase! My fiancee and I got a Hi Hy and Prius together on Aug 8th, and she can't be happier with her 2WD Hi Hy Limited. She's only on her 3rd tank and 1400 miles, though, so it'll be interesting to see if her early 30+ mpg holds up! How's yours doing?

I'm interested in EDrive's mod to the Prius as well, but the price tag might just be a little *too* steep for me.

Look forward to hearing/seeing more from you!

Rick

Old 08-31-2005, 06:48 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. We are planning to replace the '98 Camry with a hybrid in a couple of years when the time comes. Can't complain - - with a 3.0 l engine, that thing does great on the highway (24-5 mpg). I'd love a hybrid that would get, say, 35-40, with the room and size of the Camry.

I don't know what Toyota plans for the power configuration. I suspect rather than following the Prius design-wise, it'll be a 2.5-3.0 l ICE with motor to augment power and extend mileage. even so, they ought to be able to get 35 mpg or more out of it. Has anyone seen any info. from Toyota on this?

Old 09-01-2005, 06:31 AM
Contributor ($)

Welcome to GreenHybrid Tom,
Sorry I can't help you with finding an aftermarket source. $190! That's crazy!

I also like the Plug in Hybrid ideas that are out there. I'd consider buying one for my next purchase.

Good luck and keep cool!