Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

New HiHy owner in Colorado

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 10:10 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up New HiHy owner in Colorado

Well, my wife and I are going to the dealership in the morning to pick up our brand new 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4WD. This is our first hybrid but we knew we had to have it after test driving one last week. It took a few days to find one with the options we want, or more accurately, without a lot of the options we don't want. My wife is excited about it because she loves driving a 4WD SUV since her work as an architect requires her to drive to job sites in whatever weather we happen to be enjoying at the moment. Plus, we play chauffer whenever the kids and grandkids come to visit. But, her chief complaint is the gas mileage. The Highlander should resolve that issue. I know the MPG is may be lower than the EPA sticker, but it's still better than the Explorer we're getting rid of.

I must admit, I'm very impressed with the information provided by the Toyota website. They explain things pretty well. We weren't too sure about how far along hybrid technology has come. Boy, were we uninformed. Understanding how it works, the fact that it has a lot of power, and is easier on the environment made our decision a lot easier. Then, as a bonus, we found out about the tax credits that are offered. Colorado pays 85% of the difference in price between the same models in hybrid and non-hybrid. That's over $3600 in our case. The federal govt pays $2600 for the Highlander. Of course, since Toyota has sold their 60,000 hybrid, that figure will be cut in half Sept 30, 2006. But, this really helped us decide to make the plunge.

Anyway, we're looking forward to tracking our mileage here and talking to everyone as we learn more about hybrids.

Mark

Old 07-08-2006, 06:52 AM
Happy HiHy Owner
Default Re: New HiHy owner in Colorado

Welcome to the family.........and enjoy your new toy. There are a myriad of great ideas on this forum to help you get the most from for HiHy. Feel free to ask any questions and I am sure we will try to help you as much as possible.