Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

new HiHy owner in need of suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 03:37 PM
J9T
Enthusiast
Question new HiHy owner in need of suggestions

Hello, I am new to GreenHybrid.com. We just bought a Highlander Hybrid 2WD this week and I am looking forward to learning more about hybrids cars. Due to my lifestyle (kids, dogs, etc), I am and have been an SUV driver for years. In my heart, I wish I could drive a smaller and more fuel efficient car, but I have come to terms with the fact that it is not happening any time soon! So, when we heard about the HiHy, I was glad that I could get an SUV that is more fuel efficient then my Nissan Xterra! I am very excited to "figure" the car out and learn the best way to drive it for fuel efficiency. I have been researching how I can change my driving style and would love to get any pointers from other hybrid drivers and specifically HiHy drivers. BTW, the car has a navi system with an energy monitor.

Old 09-10-2005, 04:14 PM
Site Founder
Default Re: new HiHy owner in need of suggestions

Welcome to GreenHybrid.

Please do not crosspost, however. Your duplicate threads have been removed.

Old 09-11-2005, 09:11 AM
Contributor ($)
Default Re: new HiHy owner in need of suggestions

J9T,
Welcome to GreenHybrid. If you follow the general techniques like pumping up the tires, driving the speed limit, etc, that will get you started down the right path.

Since you have the energy monitor the Pulse and Glide technique will help you do some serious hypermiling when the condtions are right.

You certainly have the right attitude for getting better gas mileage. Half the problem is simply being aware of your mileage. Once you are aware you can choose to do something about it.

Since you live in Florida, you will probably be using the air conditioning a bit more than others and it will impact you mileage. Hopefully your commute is one that is conducive to good gas mileage. If you have a lot of hills or extreme stop and go traffic it will be a little harder for you to keep the mileage up as well.

But don't be disheartened. No matter what you do, you are driving one of the best gas mileage and cleanest SUVs on the market.