Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

new member hello and question

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 04:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default new member hello and question

hi guys,

new member here - enjoying the discussion on this site and hoping to be able to participate.

I'm not a hybrid owner, but I'm following the current situation with gas prices, etc. closely. My question to you is where is the best information on hybrid/alternative fuel vehicles availability, tax breaks, etc? My sister is in the market for a hybrid and was thinking prius but what else should she know and where to go to find out? thanks in advance.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Think green.
Default Re: new member hello and question

If she is interested in the Prius, the federal tax break has been phased out because Toyota has sold over 60,000 units of hybrid vehicles (after that number, the tax break for hybrids made by a particular car manufacturer gets phased out, as is currently happening for Honda. See the chart in the link provided.)

http://www.irs.gov/irs/article/0,,id=176409,00.html

Depending on your state, there may be some sort of state tax break.

Some general info for shopping for hybrids and other fuel-efficient/alternative fuel vehicles:

http://www.hybridcars.com/shop-by-technology

Old 07-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: new member hello and question

The Toyota tax credits are gone and I understand the Honda credits are reduced. Ford and GM still have full credit but it is weighted on the type of hybrid and if you are subject to the alternative minimum tax, you won't get it.

As for prices, right now they are 'nuts'. She might get a better deal in Oct/Nov. when gas prices go down and inventory builds up ... if she wants new.

There is also a used market and some deals can be found.

In life, you get to pick two of the following three: (1) good, (2) fast, and (3) cheap.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson