Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

New Member - Toyota Prius

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 11:08 AM
Enthusiast
Default New Member - Toyota Prius

Don't quite know yet what's in store for me with this Prius. Still quite a learning curve form the Suburban we traded in. My wife called me at work yesterday and said everything was lit up but the car wouldn't move. Come to find out she pushed the 'on' button without her foot on the brake. Did any of you ever come from a large vehicle and have a problem getting uesd to a small one? Think that's where I am now and still wondering if I panicked and made a big mistake. Gas mileage display is well below what I expected but still better than the Suburban.

Will I get used to small? Do people survive crashes in these things?

Old 04-19-2006, 11:24 AM
YA RLY.
Default Re: New Member - Toyota Prius

Do people survive crashes in these things
No, you will not. The last time I saw a hybrid in an accident, a loose cart from a grocery shop parking lot had slowly rolled into the door of a Prius. The battery immediately exploded incinerating everything within a 100 ft radius (I was 101 feet away which is why I survived). That's when the real danger started. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies. Rivers and seas boiling. Forty years of darkness. Earthquakes, volcanoes, the dead rising from the grave. Human sacrifice. Cats and dogs living together! Mass hysteria!

Old 04-19-2006, 11:28 AM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Re: New Member - Toyota Prius

Hi Greg,

Originally Posted by gh77477
Don't quite know yet what's in store for me with this Prius. Still quite a learning curve form the Suburban we traded in. My wife called me at work yesterday and said everything was lit up but the car wouldn't move. Come to find out she pushed the 'on' button without her foot on the brake. Did any of you ever come from a large vehicle and have a problem getting uesd to a small one? Think that's where I am now and still wondering if I panicked and made a big mistake. Gas mileage display is well below what I expected but still better than the Suburban.

Will I get used to small? Do people survive crashes in these things?
First, welcome to the club. We have a Prius forum with a lot experienced owner/operators there ready to address your questions and concerns. As for safety, Prius is highly rated, especially if you got the side air-bags.

It is also a good idea to start recording your MPG in the database, click on "Compare." You'll notice there is quite a range from 36-70 MPG in the Prius II (your model) and there is no single answer. As you learn to drive the Prius, you'll reach a 'happy place' and go from there. As for driving for mileage, you might take a peek at the FAQ:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/prius-faq.6645.html

These are time tested techniques. Also, for amusement, read the whole thread "You know you're a real hybrid owner when ..." Don't be drinking a beverage when reading that thread.

Bob Wilson

Old 04-19-2006, 12:25 PM
Happy Hybrid Owner

Check out this thread, re: surviving a crash -

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ebay.6733.html

And take heart, the same thing happened to my husband the other day (I usually drive the Prius) - he went out to move the car, and about five minutes later came back to (sheepishly) ask if there was a "secret" to turning it on... he hadn't put his foot on the brake, and couldn't get it going!

I too "downsized" to my Prius (albeit only from a Ford Escape), but have never been happier in a vehicle (though we still love the Escape, when we need its capabilities). Give it a little time and I think you'll wonder why you didn't make the switch earlier!

Last edited by sweetbeet; 04-19-2006 at 12:29 PM. Reason: adding stuff
Old 04-19-2006, 01:05 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by Sledge
No, you will not. The last time I saw a hybrid in an accident, a loose cart from a grocery shop parking lot had slowly rolled into the door of a Prius. The battery immediately exploded incinerating everything within a 100 ft radius (I was 101 feet away which is why I survived). That's when the real danger started. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies. Rivers and seas boiling. Forty years of darkness. Earthquakes, volcanoes, the dead rising from the grave. Human sacrifice. Cats and dogs living together! Mass hysteria!

He's exagerating.
Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies. Rivers and seas boiling. Forty years of darkness. Earthquakes, volcanoes, the dead rising from the grave. Human sacrifice. Cats and dogs living together! Mass hysteria!
Didn't happen. I was 200 feet away at the time. Though, it's understandable, the explosion knocked Sledge off his feet.

Anyway, welcome to GH, congrats on the purchase. I have a feeling that with some care, you'll be loving this car and regarding it as one of your wiser decisions. Don't feel too bad about the mileage, especially if it's new, most of us don't have the best tanks for the first 4 or 5, as we've got a learning curve to overcome. Take my first tank of 30.0 MPGs to my last, 37.1 MPGs. Time can be a big factor. As for the size issue, I can't comment much, I went from a '95 Ford Explorer to a 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid, so I got smaller, but not much so. In many ways, I feel like I got more interior space but less exterior space, so I won all around.

As Bob mentioned, take a look around, and read up. If you're willing to relearn how to drive (and coming here and posting is a great first step), you can make the Prius really shine.

However, most of all, enjoy!

Old 04-19-2006, 01:53 PM
Enthusiast

Honest answer please. I'm really not kidding. How safe are these cars and how long does it take to get used to big vs small car. I've always had big.

Old 04-19-2006, 02:32 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by gh77477
Honest answer please. I'm really not kidding. How safe are these cars and how long does it take to get used to big vs small car. I've always had big.
A suggestion, use Google to search for "Prius crash worthiness test". My browser found this link:

http://www.autobuyguide.com/2005/12-...sts/index.html

My understanding is the scale is 1-5 so "4" is not bad and the driver got a "5".

As for ". . . always had big," you'll have to answer that one. For me, the 03 Prius is roomier than our Echo which is roomier than a VW bug. But then I'm 6 ft. tall and 240 lbs.

Bob Wilson

Old 04-19-2006, 03:18 PM
YA RLY.

Did no one get my pop culture reference? It wasn't that obscure

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
He's exagerating.
If you've told me once, you've told me a million times...

Last edited by Sledge; 04-19-2006 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Sledge, you kill me.

I don't know about the Prius but the Honda received a five star crash rating.

Here's the good news. If you don't get used to it, you'll be in the best position to purchase a gas guzzler down the road. Prices will be so high that your Prius will hold it's value (or appreciate) and they will be paying you to take those Suburbans off their lots.

Old 04-20-2006, 01:01 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Did no one get my pop culture reference? It wasn't that obscure
Of course I did. Remember, if anyone asks you if you're a god...you...say...YES!

Quick Reply: New Member - Toyota Prius

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands