Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

New Owner Checking In

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 10:57 AM
Enthusiast
Default New Owner Checking In

So far so good (only had it two days )

Never imagined I'd own a hybrid, but we're really enjoying the car and amenities. Got the Sonoma Red with Black Leather and Nav. Really did not want the Nav but couldn't find the color combo without it.

We really liked the Accord (any engine really) but then we saw our friends NAH the other evening and decided to throw it into the mix. We put close to 3k a month on our car so the MPG was intriguing to say the least. We knew we liked the new body style of the Altima but we figured we'd give the TCH a chance too. Very boring IMHO, not a bad car but in the end its Vanilla vs Ben & Jerry's. The NAH has more spirit you can let loose with when you want, although I am finding myself chillin out and playing MPG game.

So far I'm getting around 31 on the first 1/3rd tank, think I'll top it off today so I know it's filled for my first hand calculated MPG next fill up. 31 real close to what I got in my '01 Civic EX Sedan, but with a lot more room and comfort!

PS I saw someone on here posting about their '01 Civic. Mines been terrific almost 150k miles on it now with only putting on new tires, brakes, changing the oil and filters. Still runs like new, we needed more room for family though..

Old 08-14-2007, 12:39 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New Owner Checking In

Hi and Welcome!

Yes, yes, we had the Honda from Hell. I'm very glad you managed to miss the 12 national recalls (in the first two years alone) the tinfoil struts (we went through 4 pairs), the electrical computer sensor high-speed stall-outs (Happened to my wife 5 times at over 55 MPH and there was a class action suit), the broken universal joint (I have never had this happen on an American car much less a Honda), the fried air bag control if you placed anything on your passenger seat (Happened twice, once by a laptop the other time by a bag of groceries), the bi-monthly headlight changes (in the last 2 years we owned the car we replaced both headlights 8 times), and the slipping transmission (at only 108,000 miles and the final straw) all well known problems of the 01 Civic.

We traded it in for the NAH and I would do it again in a heartbeat. (Even with the Key Fob that can be killed by cell phones and the cabin air filter recall)

Anyway welcome. Your gas mileage should improve after the "courtesy" tank is done and after a few 1000 miles of break-in. My wife and I can get 35 to 37 MPG with normal driving as long as the temperature is not over 95 or under 35 degrees and our average trip is about 20 minutes long of mixed driving.

Best Wishes

Last edited by Ian33; 08-15-2007 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:35 PM
Enthusiast

Wow, quite a different ownership experience. I think there's a couple recalls I still never took it to the dealer for. But its been great like I said. It was one of the first built too I think since we got it in Oct '00.

I'm surprised there aren't more people here, seems like a very marketable car and good reviews are coming in. I think even CR gave it top rating.

We really wewn't even looking at new cars since you take such a big depreciation hit, but with the Nissan Rebate, Dealer Discount and Tax Credit and great MPG potential it was hard to turn down.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Less then 4000 total have been sold in the USA mostly because Nissan is only selling them in the California emissions states or about 25% of the US market.

They also don't advertise them. I saw one commercial where they mention a 34-MPG Altima, but they never say it's a hybrid.

I really think it's the best one out there for a balance of good looks (I thinks it's the best looking Hybrid period), good performance (198 HP), good price (folks are getting the base one for 22,000ish) and good MPG (it's rated at 34 MPG but that can be beat).

The Lexus and Accord have more power but much less MPG at a much higher price. The Prius and Civic have better MPG but are nowhere near as comfortable or fun to drive. The Camry just made me shrug and my wife gag, although it may have been the salesman, who was not a good one.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hi SilentAltima, welcome to our small and fanatical world.

I notice you use the word "silent in your name... and I wanted to give you the warning we've all discovered - beware of airhead pedestrians! Because hybrids are silent/quiet people who aren't paying attenion... especially in parking lots and at street crossings... will walk right into you.

My husband had one girl litterally walk sideways into him at the DMV... when he brough the car to a full stop... and then start swearing at him for HIS bad driving. She didn't even realize he stopped the car because he saw her walking into him without looking.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:35 AM
Enthusiast

Ooops! lol

Yeah I've been trying to notice peoples reactions when I'm cruising by in EV mode

Punched it today on the Freeway to change lanes and was really happy with the quickness the NAH changed speed. Definitely more inspiring than my previous opinions of Hybrids...

Old 08-15-2007, 09:40 AM
Prof. of Hybridology

Hello, and welcome to GH!

Feel free to make use of our forums, ask questions, and enjoy the site, but far more importantly, enjoy your new NAH!

Old 08-15-2007, 09:50 PM
Energy Independence

Welcome.
I wish the NAH was available in Texas. I would seriously consider one.
I agree on their good looks. The Altima redesign is killer!

I am enjoying my HCH2 also. 18K in nearly 13 months.

Enjoy posting and reading here. This is one of the best places to share experiences about our hybrids (and other topics, as well ).

Old 08-16-2007, 12:30 AM
Engineering first

Welcome to the club!

One of the few places of mixed hybrids on the net, folks here have a lot of experience to share and sometimes cross makes and models to offer new insights. You're in for a treat.

Bob Wilson

Old 09-04-2007, 06:27 AM
Insipid Enthusiast

Hello everyone, great posts and info. The NAH is my first hybrid. I have not changed anything thus far and am getting great milage just by driving conservatively. My next tank will be on increased tire psi, from 35 to 40 (still within the tire sidewall range). I have also been throwing around the idea of installing a wind deflector (made out of pliable rubber or stiff bristles) accross the front lower bumper scraping the ground (within 1/8 inch).
Anyone have an opinion on this mod?
Would it decrease aerodynamic drag (for better mpg)?
Would it improve road handling (caused by vacuum under car)?
Thanks

Quick Reply: New Owner Checking In

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands