Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

New Owner Checking In

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 07:19 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: New Owner Checking In

Originally Posted by TheSpoils
. . . I have also been throwing around the idea of installing a wind deflector (made out of pliable rubber or stiff bristles) accross the front lower bumper scraping the ground (within 1/8 inch).
Anyone have an opinion on this mod?
Would it decrease aerodynamic drag (for better mpg)?
Would it improve road handling (caused by vacuum under car)?
Thanks
What you are describing is called an 'air dam' and along with side rails, can reduce drag but at the risk of dealing with road hazards. I understand they work but dealing with pot holes and road debre makes their design non-trivial.

Bob Wilson

Old 09-07-2007, 09:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New Owner Checking In

Hello, and welcome! Glad to have you here on the forum.

On the 'silent' bit again- getting surprised reactions from people just never stops in my quiet little hybrid. It started the first week I had it, and it hasn't stopped- just last week I was driving my cousin, and he had a funny reaction. We got into the car chatting, and I started backing out of the parking space- he stopped in the middle of a sentence, jumped and shook his head and said he hadn't even realized I had started the car! I can't speak to the NAH particularly, but hybrids are so quiet and have so little vibration that it's a smooth and delightful way to ride.