Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

New Prius Owner in Orlando

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 08:54 AM
Enthusiast
Talking New Prius Owner in Orlando

I just purchased a new 2006 Prius (picked it up on May 19), and after only 37 miles on it, I love it!

I commute from Orlando to Ormond Beach 4 days a week (550 miles/week), so I'm hoping to save a ton on gas, and my 10 y/o Caravan, although still running OK, is showing it's age (but it will run on Ethanol, if Florida gets off it's butt and allows Ethanol to be sold).

I refused to pay the dealer cost of $209 for floor and trunk mats, (put the money towards window tint instead) so if anyone has found any no-name mats that work Ok, please let me know.

Also, I have been looking on-line for a front bug-delfector, but all I can find is the soft nose bra. Any one found hard plastic deflector to fit the Prius?

The other item I've been looking for is for a solar panel to recharge the batteries while driving and while the car is parked at work all day long. I've seen the roof-mounted one on the SolaTEC website, but it looks like they are not selling it right now. Anyone had any experience with solar charging systems?

Thanks,

Gary.

Old 05-20-2006, 09:17 AM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Re: New Prius Owner in Orlando

Originally Posted by gtprius
I just purchased a new 2006 Prius (picked it up on May 19), and after only 37 miles on it, I love it!

I commute from Orlando to Ormond Beach 4 days a week (550 miles/week), so I'm hoping to save a ton on gas, and my 10 y/o Caravan, although still running OK, is showing it's age (but it will run on Ethanol, if Florida gets off it's butt and allows Ethanol to be sold).
Welcome to the club!

We've got a FAQ in the Prius forum that can help you getting started. Also, you might consider plotting MPG vs MPH on a weekly basis. After a month or so, you'll have a good chart and can use it to maximize fuel savings.

Originally Posted by gtprius
The other item I've been looking for is for a solar panel to recharge the batteries while driving and while the car is parked at work all day long. I've seen the roof-mounted one on the SolaTEC website, but it looks like they are not selling it right now. Anyone had any experience with solar charging systems?
Save your money. The car has a 12 VDC battery that operates the electronics and lights and a separate 203 VDC taction battery. The 'solar chargers' only deal with 12 VDC and don't provide enough power to make a significant impact.

Since you'll be doing more high speed commuting, you might look at adding an aerodynamic under panel. There is a light weight, sign material, a type of corregated plastic called coroplast. I do not have an NHW20 model but some other folks have suggested an aerodynamic under panel should do some real good. You might talk with the dealer about how to go about attaching it so it won't risk the undercoating or limit access to maintenance points. Be sure to keep it away from hot exhaust parts. Compared to the solar panels, it is all but free and conservative engineering.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 05-20-2006 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:29 AM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS
Default Ebay-factory mats $69+20 shipping

Welcome.I didn't get the factory mats either since I was lowballing.You can get genuine Toyota Prius mats for about $69+ 24 or so shipping off Ebay. You can find used ones for about $60 delivered. Luck,Charlie