Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

New Tahoe Hybrid user

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 09:48 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default New Tahoe Hybrid user

Got a 2008 Tahoe Hybrid 4WD on 6/3. Black/Black, Entertainment Center but no Sun Roof. Dealer had 2 2WD drives on lot but I need the 4WD for the Erie, Pa. winter weather. He did a search and got it out of the Michigan dealers "pool".

Got a fairly good deal. $3,000 off MSRP. My son will probably trade his Mustang for the Silverado Hybrid in September.

Anyone need a '99 Subarban 454 that gets 9 MPG on a good day !?

Things I immediately did:
1. 2 coats of Zymol. Aquapel for windshield & headlight covers, RainX for other windows. Lexol on leather, Amorall on vinyl*
2. Removed rear 3rd row seats and stored them. (Don't need them, need room for dog and saves weight.)
3. WeatherTech front row mats
4. WeatherTech full rear cargo mat
5. WeatherTech window vent shades front & back.
6. K&N air filter (Used Escalade 6.0L listing)
7. McGard wheel locks
8. McGard Spline drive lugs (lighter)
9. Changed engine oil @ 1,000 miles. Use Mobil 1 synthetic 5W30.

Things to do shortly:
1. Will change Diff fluid to a full synthetic after gears burnish in.
2. Will consider changing tranny fluid to full synthetic ATF
3. Will remove front air dam in October for winter driving...otherwise I will be plowing snow.

- Got 28 MPG on I-90 over to Cleveland & back. Flat and level. 70 MPH in cruise V4 with electric assist.
- Milage dropped to 24 MPG to State College & back, same conditions but over hilly & Mountainous I-80 in central Pa..
- Get 20-21 around town depending on how I drive.
- Tire pressures all at 31 psi cold and heat up to 37-38 on interstate.
- I am considering using pure N2 and running at 35 psi. This should give slightly better mileage, minimize the upward heat drift in pressure stabilize the pressures.

Things I don't like:
1. Looking at the oil pressure gauge and seeing "0" pressure.
2. I've noticed on 2 lane highways at 55 MPH that there are a number of birds that look like they are being sucked into the windshield. One hit my left outside rearview mirrow after flying Rt -> Lt.. Many near misses. It must be the enhanced aerodynamics and reduced boundry layer in the front.
3. Interior control switches & Icons are small. I have had some mis selections due to my manly fingers and aging eyesite.

I scared the pants off a couple of cyclists on the berm bike path as they never heard me coming. I was driving in the local State Park at 25 MPH in full electric.

Was thinking of putting fog lights on but actually the OEM high beams do a good job, suprisingly better than the low beams.

I am seriously considering getting a spare rim and tire for long trips. I do this in the Corvette. The sealer and inflator will work well unless the bead is broken. If it is you are screwed. Roadside assistance is nice but it won't help on a late weekend nite if you need to change a tire or get a new one.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:09 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New Tahoe Hybrid user

Welcome, I'm glad to get another 2mode Tahoe driver on the forums.

The birds do the same thing with my Prius. I too have the weathertech mats for the front and rear. The middle row mat did not fit properly. They are 'supposed' to be working on a hybrid specific middle row mat, but I may just try and trim it to fit.

Eat a bowl of ice cream at the creamery for me the next time you go to State College. I moved from PA to Texas when I was 13 and have only made the trip back once.

Cheers,
Tom H in Dallas

Old 07-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

The Creamery has moved into new facilities. However the ice cream is still excellent.

They will ship it if you absolutely need some.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:41 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Hello, and welcome to GH!

Feel free to take a look around, ask questions, and enjoy our forums!

Old 07-16-2008, 05:03 AM
Engineering first

Welcome to the CLUB!

Originally Posted by DJWorm
Got a 2008 Tahoe Hybrid 4WD on 6/3. Black/Black, Entertainment Center but no Sun Roof. Dealer had 2 2WD drives on lot but I need the 4WD for the Erie, Pa. winter weather. He did a search and got it out of the Michigan dealers "pool".

Things to do shortly:
1. Will change Diff fluid to a full synthetic after gears burnish in.
2. Will consider changing tranny fluid to full synthetic ATF
3. Will remove front air dam in October for winter driving...otherwise I will be plowing snow.
I scared the pants off a couple of cyclists on the berm bike path as they never heard me coming. I was driving in the local State Park at 25 miles per hour in full electric.
I am seriously considering getting a spare rim and tire for long trips. ...
One the tranny/diff oil changes, I would recommend sending your old stuff to PdMA for oil testing and be very, very careful about using Amsoil. I tried Amsoil and the oil testing results came back with high levels of copper. It turns out another forum reported Amsoil is rough on 'yellow metal' and my test results confirmed that result. I just don't know enough about the two-mode transaxle and differential to know if they have any bushings. Oil testing is your friend!

The air dam is pretty important for fuel economy but I also understand snow can be a problem. But one thing we have learned is the utility of a block heater. I don't know if you can get a block heater but it would be a wise investment before the cold weather hits. To see what I mean, look at some of the database entries with a lot of entries and you'll often see the winter-summer cycling of MPG. A block heater can reduce the cold weather dips.

Our vehicles are quiet and that is a good thing but that means we have to drive all the time and be considerate. There is a bill in Congress, HR 5734, that would mandate noise makers on our vehicles. After nearly three years, I've come to appreciate the quiet and we're working to fix the legislation. Be responsible and life is good.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 07-16-2008 at 05:08 AM.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:20 AM
FEH Tsaritsa

I got to ride in the back seat of a Tahoe Hybrid last Friday while our own Pravus Prime was preparing to drive it in the MPG Challenge at HF2008 - it felt like it's half the size of my house & I almost needed a ladder to climb into it Very nice ride I liked the display & the back-up camera - I would definitely need one for a vehicle that size

After seeing the Tahoe Hybrid up close, I will pay closer attention to what GM is doing, particularly with the Saturn VUE

Old 07-31-2009, 08:49 AM
Enthusiast

I would be interested in how you remove that air dam. I am told that the front is one piece and the dam is non removeable

Old 07-31-2009, 10:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

The front air dam is attached by a series of bolt fasteners. It merely un bolts.

However I was worried that without the airdam I might damage the front fascia/roll pan.

So, I purchased a new air dam for $60 from Chevy. I now have a Summer (normal OEM size) air dam and a Winter (for snow) and hunting season (off-road) airdam which is cut down. There are 2 horizontal lines on the OEM airdam; I cut the Winter airdam down to the closest horizontal line to the top. Therefore the winter airdam is about 3 1/2" shorter.

I swap out at the end of September and April.

We had 148.7" of snow last winter and if I wouldn't have had the shorter airdam on I would have been plowing snow with it. Our city doesn't plow our side street until the snow fall is 3" deep and frequently 4". Plus there is the pothole and rut factor which is like 4 wheeling and you need the clearance. During hunting season I would have ripped it off a number of times while 4 wheeling due to clearance issues.

In addition, for the Winter season (after hunting is over in December) I reinstall the 3rd row seating for better rear traction. I used to add sand bags for extra rerar weight in the Suburban but I do not have to with the Tahoe Hybrid as the heavy 300v. battery pack and the 3rd row seating are heavy enough.

Last edited by DJWorm; 07-31-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Translation ?

Old 11-01-2009, 08:22 PM
Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum..
Thanks,,

Quick Reply: New Tahoe Hybrid user

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands