Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

Nice to meet you!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 01:10 PM
Enthusiast
Default Nice to meet you!

Hello everyone

I wanted to take a minute to announce myself as a new member. I'll be looking around some before I decide to post anything else, but you can contact me here, I guess.

Well, anyway, that's all I guess.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Nice to meet you!

Welcome aboard! What hybrid do you have/what hybrid are you researching/interested in?

Regardless, pull up a seat and stay a spell!

Old 01-26-2007, 03:10 PM
Enthusiast

I don't own one yet, but am researching the Toyota Camry Hybrid.

I like to "fiddle" with cars, so anything that is "shadetree capable" would be nice.

I have a post in the Camry section, and was just told that it doesn't have much trunk room and isn't too wrench friendly.

If there is one like that, I'd love to know as I like to do my own maintenance on my vehicles. I have had bad experiences in the past with dealers charging for not doing the work, as I am sure many have had.

Old 01-26-2007, 03:16 PM

I can't speak for myself since I'm a geek but not a mechanically-inclined sort. That said, I know some of the folks with my hybrid (Ford Escape Hybrid) do a fair bit of maintenance on the vehicle themselves, and I'm sure the same could be said of the other hybrid models. That said, anything that deals with the hybrid-systems directly (including the Continuously Variable Transmission and, in most cases, even the air conditioning system since it's often tied in to the hybrid battery to keep it cool) will likely require -- and be in your best interests to be handled by -- a hybrid-certified technician. The Toyota Prius or Honda Insight are probably the least do-it-yourself friendly hybrids, or at least that would be my guess, since they don't have non-hybrid counterparts on the market and thus probably have less of an existing base of third-party parts and such...

But for oil changes, installing mods (tow hitch, new radio/speakers, even DVD systems and such), tire rotations and the like, I'd say you'd be A-OK with any hybrid if you're a gear-head already.

Just keep good records of what you do so no shady dealer can hassle you about lack of scheduled maintenance if you ever DO need to take the vehicle in for dealer-provided service (this advice would apply for any vehicle, btw.)

Others who are more mechnically inclined or whom have been around hybrids longer than I have (March 2006) likely have more/better info, but I figured I'd start things off for them.

Last edited by GeekGal; 01-26-2007 at 09:11 PM. Reason: grammar fix (thirty party? hehe... THIRD party)
Old 01-26-2007, 04:15 PM
Engineering first

Welcome to the club!
Originally Posted by pmagnavox
I don't own one yet, but am researching the Toyota Camry Hybrid.

I like to "fiddle" with cars, so anything that is "shadetree capable" would be nice.

I have a post in the Camry section, and was just told that it doesn't have much trunk room and isn't too wrench friendly.

If there is one like that, I'd love to know as I like to do my own maintenance on my vehicles. I have had bad experiences in the past with dealers charging for not doing the work, as I am sure many have had.
One of the reasons I bought a use, 03 Prius was the option of getting some 'wrench time' and I didn't want the warranty scaring me off. If you decide to go used, there are a lot of options.

Bob Wilson

Old 01-27-2007, 09:22 AM
Enthusiast

I think I have decided, due in part of price, space, and ride height, as well as MPG. I go to the bank on Monday to secure a loan. I am going to get the Escape Hybrid! Found one it black that I can lift some and make it seem larger, as well as putting some bigger tires on. I know, I know, that will kill MPG, but I can't drive a vehicle that looks like it was made for my wife! LOL

Old 01-27-2007, 09:28 AM

Welcome Pmagnavox!

We just got a 2007 FEH to replace our Non Escape Hybrid and we love it (we have HCH also). It is a great vehicle and fun to drive especially in Electric Mode. The best part is you don't compromise anything, you still have the same amount of room. Of course all the SUV Hybrids out there are no compromise vehicles but with better MPGs.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:50 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AZMerf
Welcome Pmagnavox!

We just got a 2007 FEH to replace our Non Escape Hybrid and we love it (we have HCH also). It is a great vehicle and fun to drive especially in Electric Mode. The best part is you don't compromise anything, you still have the same amount of room. Of course all the SUV Hybrids out there are no compromise vehicles but with better MPGs.
Sounds Great!! I'm probable going to a 2006 model year because I think I can get a better price on a leftover model. Local dealer has a 2006 in black thta I think would look cool once I have the rims painted black too.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by pmagnavox
Sounds Great!! I'm probable going to a 2006 model year because I think I can get a better price on a leftover model. Local dealer has a 2006 in black thta I think would look cool once I have the rims painted black too.
Why stop there? Add some spinners and neon underbody effects.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:50 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeekGal
Why stop there? Add some spinners and neon underbody effects.
No Way!! I like the look of black powder coated rims.

If I change my mind, it would be for the Rock Crusher with the simulated bead lock.

I want it to look tough, not ghetto

Quick Reply: Nice to meet you!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands