Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

Old Hybrid Owner, New to Forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 05:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default Old Hybrid Owner, New to Forum

Hi! I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid new in January 2005, just before gas started getting crazy. I drove one on a whim and liked the power it had going up twisty mountain roads. The local dealer wanted more than I was willing to pay, so I traveled a few hours down the road and found a dealer who would negotiate with me. Then I was surprised at the federal tax credit I didn't know was in existence at the time. All that and 2.9% financing and I was good to go. Oh, the good old days.... Anyway, I really like the car. Have had only one minor problem. Occasionally, as I am driving down the road turning the steering just enough to adjust for a gentle curve, I have noticed a point where the steering seems to catch slightly, just for a moment and requires a bit more pressure to move it. Then it releases and everything is fine again. I took it in to the dealer and sure enough, we drove and drove and drove and it wouldn't happen. It still does it on occasion, but not often enough to take it in and not severely enough to impede my driving. It is just slightly annoying. I didn't know if anyone else had run into this or if this was unique to my car. I also have a Suzuki Intruder 800 motorcycle when I want to play on the roads. Glad to find this place cause I realize I will have to start thinking about starting to fix and replace one of these days and it is good to have a source that is impartial, yet knowledgable about these vehicles.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:00 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: Old Hybrid Owner, New to Forum

First off, Welcome to the CLUB!!!

I think you'll find a lot of good advice over in the Honda forums. Folks here tend to be pretty knowledgeable and helpful. But your steering problem sounds interesting.

Do you have the maintenance manuals for your model? In particular, I'm wondering if you have an electronic assisted steering?

We've had some early problems in the first generation of Prius with a steering torque sensor that controls the electronic boost. When the torque sensor goes bad, it is pretty much a replace the whole steering assembly. But I really don't know how the HCH handles steering or steering assist. Just sharing some Prius lore that may have no use at all.

Bob Wilson

Old 08-27-2008, 05:54 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Old Hybrid Owner, New to Forum

Unfortunately, the only manual I have is the owner's manual that came with the car at purchase. With the car off, however, the steering is significantly stiffer trying to turn the wheels. Don't know if that would help.
If it comes to replacing the entire assembly, I think I will just continue to be annoyed and keep driving. It doesn't seem to be a safety issue. The pressure to "break it loose" is pretty minimal. And I love that 50 mpg I keep getting. It makes my husband frown compared to his Chevy Silvarado 2500 Diesel Truck at the gas pump.