Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Introductions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/introductions-23/)
-   -   Picking up an '04 Prius tomorrow (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/introductions-23/picking-up-04-prius-tomorrow-12380/)

ozymandias 02-20-2007 07:22 PM

Picking up an '04 Prius tomorrow

I found a great deal on an '04 Package 9 Prius with 65,000 miles...going to pick it up tomorrow. I just came here to read up and see if there is anything I need to know. Is there anything I need to know? :)

bwilson4web 02-21-2007 08:00 AM

Re: Picking up an '04 Prius tomorrow

Welcome to the CLUB!

Originally Posted by ozymandias (Post 112674)
I found a great deal on an '04 Package 9 Prius with 65,000 miles...going to pick it up tomorrow. I just came here to read up and see if there is anything I need to know. Is there anything I need to know?

Head over to the Prius forum where I try to keep the Prius FAQ current. At 65,000 miles, it is probably time to get the transaxle oil changed, a simple do-it-yourself task:

http://hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius/pri_toil.html
http://hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius/pri_T_cold.html

I am interested in getting a sample of your transaxle oil tested so send me a PM and we'll work out the logistics. I have one, 62,000 mile, NHW20, 2004 Prius sample from Conn. that came out right on the numbers so it helps to get more samples tested.

Otherwise, you're in for a treat. By all means, start recording your mileage and update your profile so we'll know what part of the country you are in.

Bob Wilson

leahbeatle 02-21-2007 05:21 PM

Congrats on the new car and welcome to GH! I hope you stick around. ;)

There is tons of information here if you just look for it- what are you interested in? Getting tips on how to get the best mileage? There have been lots of heated discussions and articles full of advice that you can go through, and if you have specific questions, just start your own thread. If you're interested in mods, or breaking news, or maintenance issues, there are discussions going on about all of it.

I think it's great that you got a used Prius- I'm starting to see more posters here with used hybrids, though it's still a bit on the rare side. It'd be very interesting for us to hear about your experience, because most hybrid drivers deal with issues that won't come up for you (experiences with the dealers, filling out tax rebate forms, etc.) and the situation of your purchase is probably different than most of our members.

Anyway, welcome to the forum! Good luck with your Prius, and come back and chat with us sometime.

ozymandias 02-21-2007 06:56 PM

Yeah it has been a good experience so far. The car was really well taken care of; the interior looks almost new. I got 50mpg on the drive home (70mph on the highway), so everything seems to be great. The car is in great shape. Buying it was easy of course. I spent almost an hour in the car playing with the nav and all the settings. So far I am very happy.

bwilson, why are you so interested in my transaxle oil??? :) Is there a maintenence schedule I can find somewhere online? The car came with manuals and everything in like new condition but there was no maintenence schedule.

bwilson4web 02-21-2007 09:25 PM

Hi,

Originally Posted by ozymandias (Post 112856)
. . .
bwilson, why are you so interested in my transaxle oil??? Is there a maintenence schedule I can find somewhere online? The car came with manuals and everything in like new condition but there was no maintenence schedule.

It has to do with my used, NHW11 Prius buying experience. The maintenance schedule said change the transaxle oil at 60,000 miles. I was at 54,000 miles and decided to have it tested . . . The results were eye opening.

Last year, we tested one sample from an NHW20 and it looked right on the numbers, a 14% viscosity reduction, and that car had 62,000 miles. But this is not something that has to be done 'right away.' When you get around to doing your first engine oil change, that would be a good time to get the transaxle changed. If you can send me a sample, I'll have it tested so we can grow a Type WS database.

Bob Wilson

leahbeatle 02-23-2007 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by ozymandias (Post 112856)
Yeah it has been a good experience so far. The car was really well taken care of; the interior looks almost new. I got 50mpg on the drive home (70mph on the highway), so everything seems to be great. The car is in great shape. Buying it was easy of course. I spent almost an hour in the car playing with the nav and all the settings. So far I am very happy.

I'm glad everything is going so well for you thus far! Those are fantastic initial numbers, especially for someone getting used to driving a new car. Good for you! I hope it all goes well for you. If you're so inclined, you can post your mpg results in the Green Hybrid database, to share with the world the experiences of a real hybrid driver. We are really proud of our real-world numbers and would love your input.

Best of luck, and congrats again on the new car. :)