Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

Previous Insight, now HCH II owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Previous Insight, now HCH II owner

Howdy folks,

So I am not new on the hybrid scene, I bought THE honda insight from Xcel back in 2005, we put 30k on it and after moving (first from MA then) from Benicia CA to San Jose for a new job we finally sold it with 95k on the clock as my wife wanted a 4 seater, and at the time we didn't need a hybrid or HOV stickers any more. I used to get 55-65mpg on average with the stop and go traffic and hills on my commute which isn't bad.

After San Jose we realised the valley wasn't for us (and we couldn't afford it) and I found a new job but again with a commute, I had been looking on CL and found a realy bargain, a 2006 HCH II with 28k on the clock, all the toys and HOV stickers (but a salvage car) for $14k. I had never considered salvage before but I bought direct from the guys that fixed it and they did a good job, told me what had been replaced and the car looks and drives like new. Driving back I managed about 55mpg on the highway which dropped to around 50mpg with a lot of stop and go.

I have only driven it for 1.5 days as I went on vacation abroad (where I am typing this) so my new toy is waiting for me in the garage when I get back.

I have a couple of things to do when I get back first of all, they put too much oil and transmission fluid in it, so I need to drain some out. I think I'll get the windows tinted to keep the car cooler and apply for a fast pass.

I plan on tinkering with the car a lot as I have a very broad science/engineering background. Incidentally do many people do the hot air intake mod on the HCH II during winter to cut down on cold air mileage losses?

cya!

chris

Old 08-27-2007, 02:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Previous Insight, now HCH II owner

Chris. What happens with the warrantee on a salvage car? That is a great price and I know your going to enjoy the car. In the winter I cover the rad. by at least 90%. When you say hot air intake, do you mean by collecting air from the exhuast manafold and directing it into the fuel system? Did you try it on your Insight? H

Old 08-27-2007, 02:23 PM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Previous Insight, now HCH II owner

Welcome back!

Originally Posted by Chris(CA)
. . .

So I am not new on the hybrid scene, I bought THE honda insight from Xcel back in 2005, we put 30k on it and after moving (first from MA then) from Benicia CA to San Jose for a new job we finally sold it with 95k on the clock as my wife wanted a 4 seater, and at the time we didn't need a hybrid or HOV stickers any more. I used to get 55-65mpg on average with the stop and go traffic and hills on my commute which isn't bad.

After San Jose we realised the valley wasn't for us (and we couldn't afford it) and I found a new job but again with a commute, I had been looking on CL and found a realy bargain, a 2006 HCH II with 28k on the clock, all the toys and HOV stickers (but a salvage car) for $14k. I had never considered salvage before but I bought direct from the guys that fixed it and they did a good job, told me what had been replaced and the car looks and drives like new. Driving back I managed about 55mpg on the highway which dropped to around 50mpg with a lot of stop and go.

I have only driven it for 1.5 days as I went on vacation abroad (where I am typing this) so my new toy is waiting for me in the garage when I get back.

I have a couple of things to do when I get back first of all, they put too much oil and transmission fluid in it, so I need to drain some out. I think I'll get the windows tinted to keep the car cooler and apply for a fast pass.

I plan on tinkering with the car a lot as I have a very broad science/engineering background. Incidentally do many people do the hot air intake mod on the HCH II during winter to cut down on cold air mileage losses?
This last part is very interesting to me. I've only had a passing interest in the HCH because I've not run into a lot of engineering data (PowerPoint charts are better than nothing but limited.) Will you be instrumenting your HCH to get some engineering data?

Something I'd be interested in reading about would be the specific fuel consumption as a function of ICE rpm. To do it right, you'll need someway to get the ICE torque and/or IMA motor torque along with fuel consumption and rpm. Just curious.

Do you have an plans yet on mods to the car? I've got 9,500 miles to go before the final hybrid warranty expires and I can really have fun.

Bob Wilson

Old 09-07-2007, 10:08 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Previous Insight, now HCH II owner

Wow, sounds like quite a project. I hope the salvage car works out for you- best of luck, and please keep us updated on how it runs and what problems you encounter or mods you try- we love that kind of stuff. Can't believe you bought Xcel's old Insight- it's a celebrity in these circles, in a way. If you don't mind my asking, what does an Insight with 95k miles on it go for?