Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Introductions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/introductions-23/)
-   -   Self Intro/hello/thank yous (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/introductions-23/self-intro-hello-thank-yous-1111/)

jdawg70 11-22-2004 04:32 PM

All -

Found this site fairly recently. I'd like to extend a big thank you to all. The posts here have been both very informative and highly entertaining :)

I purchased a '05 HCH about a month ago. Before reading around here, I was pulling about 35 to 40 mpg (I have a 3 mile highway trip to work everyday...mileage murder). Since reading here, I have been able to pull at least 45mpg, and it seems to only be going up.

When I snagged the car, I had expectations of getting close to 40mpg. Had no idea EPA and above was even possible.

By nature I have somewhat of a lead foot, so I'm certainly not looking to pull the incredible mpg numbers that I've seen here. But with some minor adjustments to my driving, I've pushed my expectations up to EPA numbers, and am even more pleased with my car.

Again, a big thank you.

P.S.

I find it funny that one of the Google ads at the top was for filing claims against Toyota and Honda for inflated MPG ratings.

Jason 11-22-2004 04:39 PM

Welcome, JDawg ;)

Haha, yes, I've brought up the subject of that ad once before. I don't know why they bother paying people like me for the advertising when they have no case, anyway :D

xcel 11-22-2004 04:58 PM

Hi Jdawg70:

___Welcome indeed!

___Even with a short drive, some truly spectacular mileage is headed your way with a bit of game gauge training. We call the FCD (Fuel Consumption Display) a game gauge because it is like playing a game each and every time you get behind the wheel and boot her up!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

billyt1963 11-22-2004 05:10 PM

Jdawg70,

Welcome! I like you have a short trip to work. I have a '04 HCH that I averaged 48.5 on the last tank. This tank took a big hit last week when the morning commute was done near freezing. I am still trying and the FCD shows 48.4 right now.

This is a great board for tips and also seeing that you are not the only person that looks more at the dashboard than the road. :D

Good luck.

Billyt1963
Karuma

Hot_Georgia_2004 11-22-2004 06:11 PM

Wlcome jdawg70,
We are looking forward to having you here as a registered memeber !

By nature I have somewhat of a lead foot,
I got my HCH last February to replace an old '94 Dodge Spirit.
The Spirit spent 90% of its time floored, swerving around and passing other slower drivers. I was very lucky that I never wrecked because of my 85-95MPH habit.

Had no idea EPA and above was even possible.
Watchout!
If you find yourself beginning to get really great MPG numbers you might become addicted to a new driving style, and never return to old habits.
(Sigh) :huh:
You might find yourself doing wierd things only to gain a few MPG....things like summer cooling via a bucket of ice, pushing your car from a stop or a number of odd things.
......And find yourself ENJOYING a new hobby. :wacko:

jdawg70 11-22-2004 09:23 PM

Yeah, my old car's gas pedal stayed on the floor most of the time too.

I'm a little concerned about the bucket of ice thing...though I'm not necessarily above a separate peltier-driven cooling unit. Running on a solar power charged Li-ion battery. Definitely sounds like a plan at this point; got 'til the summer to do it!

It's refreshing to know there are others who spend lots of time looking at the game gauge. I'm trying to keep a good balance between paying attention to the road and the gauge. I'll perfect it yet.

Thanks for the warm welcome, and yes, this is the most fun I've ever had driving.