Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

tcrice

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 12:38 PM
Enthusiast
Default tcrice

My name is Tom and I live in Traverse City, Michigan. For those of you not familiar with Michigan, Traverse City is in the northwest corner of the lower peninsula. Winter has come hard and early here, we've already had over 40 inches of snow and the temperature has seldom been above 35 degrees for the last month.
I bought an FEH AWD last April, while the initial tank or two of gas got less mileage than I had expected, throughout the summer months I was able to get 30-32 mpg on the road. We made trips to Tennessee, Canada and the U.P. three times. My city driving is pretty limited, I ride a bike when I can and my drive to work is only about 2 miles, so most of my 7000 miles are highway miles.
I love my new Escape, buuuut, I'm disapointed in the mileage as the weather got cold. My last tank of gas, which now is mostly city driving, was a paltry 26mpg (still pretty darn good for an SUV) I've read a few of the posts about ways to improve mileage; using low and also reference to the "double tap", that I haven't quite figured out what it refers to.
I would appreciate an explanation of that and any other thoughts on how to maintain good mileage, especially through the winter months.
Thanks, Tom tcrice@chartermi.net

Old 12-13-2005, 02:21 PM
World's First Hybrid
Default Re: tcrice

Originally Posted by tcrice
My name is Tom and I live in Traverse City, Michigan. For those of you not familiar with Michigan, Traverse City is in the northwest corner of the lower peninsula. Winter has come hard and early here, we've already had over 40 inches of snow and the temperature has seldom been above 35 degrees for the last month.
I bought an FEH AWD last April, while the initial tank or two of gas got less lly through the winter months.
Thanks, Tom tcrice@chartermi.net
Hi Tom,
I think unfortunately, that we all suffer low mpg/s in the cold months, even non hybrid vehicles. It's just a matter of physics. The ICE has to use more fuel to warm up to op temp and keep itself at temp. You may want to block 1/2 of the radiator with a piece of cardboard to help speed up the warming process or have a block heater installed and run it off a timer at night so your fluids are all toasty when you start up in the am.

My mpg's (05-HCH) have dropped from low 50's to low 40's now that the glaciers have moved back into new england. We are now getting all that frigid wx that you are experiencing and its here to stay for a while.

Ralph

Old 12-13-2005, 06:12 PM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: tcrice

Tom; welcome to GreenHybrid and try to stay (Warm) Okey?

Terry

Old 12-13-2005, 10:10 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Hello, and welcome to GH. Always nice to see a fellow Michigander (Macomb Township, just north of Mount Clemens myself)

Anywho, I was shocked and apalled to find that in my FAQ, I didn't mention how to double tap, and that's been fixed. If you haven't already, you should read this thread, https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...l?page=1&pp=10 Section II should be the one with the most info for you.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Old 12-14-2005, 05:31 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

I suggest you search and read the thread on the "L" driving scheme.

Since you have a lot of city driving, your object should be to get the machine working in EV mode as soon and for as much as possible. However, the engine does need to be warm for that.

I noticed that yesterday, in 12 degree weather in NJ, I was able to get my FEH into EV mode after about 2 miles. Mind you, I run in "L" all the time, and this was after I got the high rev signal that the battery was full, full, full. (No graphic interface here ::sigh::.)

Another place where I have found running in EV is good is in thick, modest amounts of snow. Again, when warm, trying to baby the accelerator pedal to keep in EV while going through snow provides enough torque to move the car, but not enough to spin the wheels. Use "L", of course.

Hope this helps. We have had a very cold winter here in NJ so far, today it was +2F. There is six inches of snow on the ground. I love my AWD FEH, too bad my wife drives it most of the time.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands