05 escape hybrid...no battery assist..help,help,help

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 10:14 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: 05 escape hybrid...no battery assist..help,help,help

To both Jim and Steve...

You are not getting freon back to the battery pack but the car thinks it is.
So the air door is closed, in "recirc" mode, thinking it is recycling chilled air, and it is not. So you get the "China Syndrome". ( heat building until 'meltdown' )

Only the car protects itself from meltdown or fire by stopping use of the battery pack, gradually at first, then all together.

Now, there are only a few reasons why this could be occuring:
A) your entire freon charge is low
B) your A/C compressor is not working correctly
C) your freon lines to the back are damaged, pinched close from a bump with debris, or plugged
D) your zone valve that sends freon from the front to the rear is damaged, broken, stuck shut
E) something not right with the battery freon evaporator, or that duct is blocked
F) A sensor or thermister is bad, and your pack is cooler than it appears
G) the fans are not turning inside the battery pack

Did I mess anything?
I think it is pretty obvious what is going on, and equally obvious what you need to do about it.

The car disables EV at a battery temperature above 95'F ( 35'C ).
I've had mine up to 110'F (43'C) when my freon leaked out, and I still had limited assist and regen... about half of normal. I've never had mine high enough to test, but 44'C might be the "trigger" for total cut-off, but this seems unrealistially low to me.

HTH,
-John

Old 07-28-2009, 10:28 AM
Un-Enthusiast

Thanks. I am not sure the dealer will appreciate it, but I will fax him your info (less identifying info).

They are looking at it now, and their first drive and computer scan indicated no problems this morning. They are going to take it for a longer drive with some guage attached to look for problems.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Un-Enthusiast

They still see no problem. How does the car get into the mode and symptoms described above and the service department can find no useful codes in the computer? Seems like I have to drive it until a warning light comes on (or am on side of road) before maybe they can figure something out.

One tech will be driving it home with him. I told him if he drives over 45 minutes odds are symptoms will appear and to pay attention to battery temp. Not sure what they will find out or if they even believe the battery temp is a problem...

Old 07-29-2009, 08:22 AM
Un-Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
G) the fans are not turning inside the battery pack
Looks like Option G for me. The service guy drove the car for a longer period and received codes that the fan(s?) are not working. They ordered the parts, which are apparently under the hybrid warranty.

Maybe this info will help bbmotor. Good luck.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Enthusiast

I just had a similar problem with my 08 FEH, wrench light was coming on. It did not go too far before I took it in.

They replaced the 'traction battery auxiliary mode door actuator'. All covered under warranty.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Hey, try this, I forgot... you can get the green panel on your car to show you battery temperature! You need to buy nothing!

With the key off, press down and hold the trip odometer reset button.
Then turn the key to on, or even start the car with the button still down.
You will hear a beep. Then release the button and you will see the word "test" on the display. Press the button once at a time and the green panel will cycle through numerous diagnostics. Go slowly so you don't miss what you need.

et xxx = engine temperature in degrees C ( just in case you are curious )
bt xxx = high voltage battery temperature in degrees C

Your battery should be less than 60'C at all times, and really, less than 40'C if the cooling is working. The A/C starts to cool the pack at 30'C so really, after the car has been running a while, the bt = number should always be less than 30 degrees C.

-John
GPSMAN1,

I know I am reviving an old post but this was helpful.

My question: Is there someplace I can find out what all of the codes stand for when doing the test you explained. The bt and et are helpful, but it may be nice to know what the others refer to.