06 FEH Evap System Leak detected

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 08:25 AM
Enthusiast
Default 06 FEH Evap System Leak detected

My check engine light came on this morning. OBDII returned code P0442: Evaporative System Malfunction. Anyone have any experience with this code? Can anyone post a diagram of the emissions system from a Ford shop manual? Thanks.

Engine does not sound different, no rough idle. I figure I'll start checking hose clamps in the emissions system, sniffing for hydrocarbon odor, checking the fuel filler neck, etc...

Details: 2006 FEH, 93,100 miles. First occurance of this code on this vehicle.

And yes, my gas cap was on tight

Old 01-15-2011, 04:28 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 06 FEH Evap System Leak detected

I've checked what I can of the emissions and fueling system and can't find any loose hose clamps, cracks in hoses, etc. The journey continues...

Old 01-20-2011, 07:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

is there a purge valve or something. does the cap sound like it relases pressure when you open it?

Old 01-25-2011, 07:37 PM
Enthusiast

No hissing sound from fuel cap when unsealing it. There is a green purge valve on the line between the EVAP canister system and them intake manifold. I have not yet opened that up. Maybe next weekend I'll find some time for it...

FYI, I've found some online references to Ford EVAP systems:
http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/feb2002/techtips.htm ( this article is quite detailed and is specific to Ford systems)
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...5/ai_n9042136/
http://www.search-autoparts.com/sear...58/article.pdf

...the journey continues...

Old 02-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Enthusiast

I cleared the P0442 code (EVAP Control System Leak Detected (Small Leak)) with my scan gauge. A few days later, I got a new code: P0456 (EVAP Control System Leak Detected (Very Small Leak)).

One of these days, I will take the vehicle to a shop with a smoke machine. Until then, I'm not too worried about it.

Some more internet digging revealed that TSB 10-3-1 referenced codes a PCM error that returned codes P0442, P0456, and P1450. The solution seemed to be reflashing the PCM. Does anyone have access to the actual PDF of that TSB? If so, please post it.

Reference: the DTC definitions (including parenteticals) are from "Escape Hybrid, Mariner Hybrid Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis, 2006 Service Manual."

Old 02-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by FeelTheVolts
I cleared the P0442 code (EVAP Control System Leak Detected (Small Leak)) with my scan gauge. A few days later, I got a new code: P0456 (EVAP Control System Leak Detected (Very Small Leak)).

One of these days, I will take the vehicle to a shop with a smoke machine. Until then, I'm not too worried about it.

Some more internet digging revealed that TSB 10-3-1 referenced codes a PCM error that returned codes P0442, P0456, and P1450. The solution seemed to be reflashing the PCM. Does anyone have access to the actual PDF of that TSB? If so, please post it.

Reference: the DTC definitions (including parenteticals) are from "Escape Hybrid, Mariner Hybrid Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis, 2006 Service Manual."
You had the wrong number. It's tsb10-01-03.pdf but that for the '09/'10 Hybrids not back to '06.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Enthusiast

Could this be my issue, too? For the past two years I have experienced
a service engine soon light (wrench) whenever it is warm and dry here in the Bay Area/California. No codes (I don't have the NAV system).
Dealer is unable to fix or explain.
Doesn't seem to affect driving or performance, it's just annoying.
Any insight you can shed is helpful-Thanks!

Old 03-16-2011, 08:35 PM
Enthusiast

Resolution.

Thanks for your inputs, Greenhybriders.

After clearing the codes a few times with the scangauge and having them reappear a few hours to a few days later, I took the car to a local independent mechanic who had a smoke machine. He determined it was a gas cap seal that was bad. $36 replacement cost for the Motorcraft part plus the diagnostics fee and I've been engine light free since.

ReedV, it could be worth a shot to replace your gas cap if you can get any DTC codes relating to EVAP system leaks (such as P0456, P0442). The light on my dash that illuminated was the yellow light shaped like the engine. I got the yellow wrench a few years ago; it was for a HV battery air blend door issue that was warrantied. I had to insist that this was the issue at the large Ford dealership here in Houston in order for them to consider it. There are older posts on this forum that detail the blend door diagnoses. Back then, my wrench only came on during warm periods when the vehicle was trying to switch from using outside air to the battery's air conditioning system for cooling. Good luck.