07' ford escape hybrid 4whl drive load "clunk" from rear when put into reverse

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Enthusiast
Default 07' ford escape hybrid 4whl drive load "clunk" from rear when put into reverse

i could use some help... i have a 2007 ford escape hybrid 4whl drive with aprx. 35k miles on it... it is run perfectly until about a month ago... when i put it into reverse there is a loud "clunk" noise coming from the rear of the car... i took it to the ford dealer and they have had the car for about a month...when they disconnected the drive shaft the noise went away.... so they replaced the drive shaft... the noise was still there... then after a lot of dialog with ford hotline assistance they replaced the rear end... (not the axles or cv joints) but the whole rear end.... and the noise is still there... they have now said that there is nothing more that they can do! and that i must wait until they have another escape hybrid 4 whl drive in the shop so that they can compare the cars and see if the noise is present in the other car... but.. they have not been able to locate another car... and the noise does not sound good... it is a loud clunk... and it just started about a month ago... and they are now saying that they will charge me over 200 dollars to look at the car if i bring it back to them... that they have lready spent to much time and money into the car!!! and it is still under warranty!!! can anyone please help me with this?
thanks,
josh

p.s. after reading some of the dialogue between the dealer and ford they suspect the PTU? and they also said that if they command the rear end anywhere from 0% to 20% the noise goes away... but if above that the noise is back... and when they command it to 100% then the noise in there both in reverse and in forward....

i have attached the dialogue between the mechanic and the ford hotline in anyone would like to see it...

Attached Files
Old 02-10-2011, 05:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 07' ford escape hybrid 4whl drive load "clunk" from rear when put into reverse

Do you have access to another Ford dealership?

Old 02-10-2011, 07:57 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 07' ford escape hybrid 4whl drive load "clunk" from rear when put into reverse

thanks for the reply... yes.. there are a number of dealers here in the l.a. area... and i guess that that is the next step? not sure which dealer to go to? galpin ford is where we bought it and they are probably the biggest... but also can be very impersonal... we had our first service down there and then chose to go to the dealer in our area.... but they probably have the best chance of having another escape hybrid 4whl dr. car there.... our local dealer said that he would charge us the next time i brought the car in.... and he thought that the problem might be with the computer which he said is not covered by the drivetrain warranty... any other suggestions?

Old 02-10-2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by panahead
i could use some help... i have a 2007 ford escape hybrid 4whl drive with aprx. 35k miles on it... it is run perfectly until about a month ago... when i put it into reverse there is a loud "clunk" noise coming from the rear of the car... i took it to the ford dealer and they have had the car for about a month...when they disconnected the drive shaft the noise went away.... so they replaced the drive shaft... the noise was still there... then after a lot of dialog with ford hotline assistance they replaced the rear end... (not the axles or cv joints) but the whole rear end.... and the noise is still there... they have now said that there is nothing more that they can do! and that i must wait until they have another escape hybrid 4 whl drive in the shop so that they can compare the cars and see if the noise is present in the other car... but.. they have not been able to locate another car... and the noise does not sound good... it is a loud clunk... and it just started about a month ago... and they are now saying that they will charge me over 200 dollars to look at the car if i bring it back to them... that they have lready spent to much time and money into the car!!! and it is still under warranty!!! can anyone please help me with this?
thanks,
josh

p.s. after reading some of the dialogue between the dealer and ford they suspect the PTU? and they also said that if they command the rear end anywhere from 0% to 20% the noise goes away... but if above that the noise is back... and when they command it to 100% then the noise in there both in reverse and in forward....

i have attached the dialogue between the mechanic and the ford hotline in anyone would like to see it...
My 2008 AWD certainly doesn't "Clunk" when going into reverse. I believe the mechanicals of the transmission are unchanged between 2007 and 2008. BTW, I go to Galpin for servicing...

EDIT: Or at least I've never noticed any such noise.

I just looked up your VIN window sticker, and our vehicles have very similar options except for the Sunroof and Nav (I don't have that).

Last edited by stevedebi; 02-10-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Enthusiast

steve,
thank you for your reply!!! i appreciate it.. and am glad to hear that yours doesn't make any noise... i guess that i should arrange to have mine looked at by galpin? please let me know if you are headed that way in the near future... then they could compare both cars side by side and confirm that mine is not a regular noise....

thanks again,
josh

Old 02-10-2011, 01:00 PM

steve,
thank you for your reply!!! i appreciate it.. and am glad to hear that yours doesn't make any noise... i guess that i should arrange to have mine looked at by galpin? please let me know if you are headed that way in the near future... then they could compare both cars side by side and confirm that mine is not a regular noise....

thanks again,
josh
Josh-
I read through your log, and the Ford representative said that they could compare it with any 4WD escape - and specifically mentioned that the ICE version has the same 4WD system as the FEH. So they should be able to compare pretty easily. I seem to recall that the log also said they had already compared it with a V6 4WD Escape.

I'm not due in for maintenance for several months, but I would stick with your current dealer. I think I get better service at Galpin because that is where I bought the vehicle. I work fairly close to Galpin and I could arrange to drive over there for a short while. However based on the log comments I'm not sure I see the need - the car should work like any Escape 4WD.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:08 PM

I had to look up "PTU", it means Power Transfer Unit, and is only used on the 4WD system. Since they have replaced everything else, that might be the obvious next choice to replace.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:19 PM
Enthusiast

it's funny because i brought up the fact that the ford rep had told them that they could compare my car with any 4whl drive and the service manager told me that ford was wrong... and that the hybrid drve train was different from the gas models... that they needed a 4whl drive hybrid to compare it and that that model was rare... i am not sure that my dealer is going to much more for me? and i did buy the car at galpin... but decided on servicing it closer to my home.. at beurge ford in west la...

Old 02-10-2011, 01:33 PM

it's funny because i brought up the fact that the ford rep had told them that they could compare my car with any 4whl drive and the service manager told me that ford was wrong... and that the hybrid drve train was different from the gas models... that they needed a 4whl drive hybrid to compare it and that that model was rare... i am not sure that my dealer is going to much more for me? and i did buy the car at galpin... but decided on servicing it closer to my home.. at beurge ford in west la...
The dealer is partially right. The main component of the hybrid, the eCVT, is unique to the hybrid. However the 4WD system is shared with the ICE Escape, although I'm not sure how the power gets transferred to the drive shaft from the eCVT. I've not seen any descriptions or schematics on this.

Anyway, I think that what the Ford rep meant was that the problem was in the rear end, which is the same among all Escape vehicles.

BTW, if you are outside the warranty, since you brought this up during the warranty period and it was not fixed, I think you can make a good case for Ford picking up the cost of any further repairs.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:38 PM
Enthusiast

i am still under the power train warranty... i think that that is 5 years or 60,000 miles? if it is the computer then i would not be covered.... i just drove it again and i am not convinced that the noise is coming from the way back rear end area? it happens when i put it in reverse and then give it gas (or electric) but only happens once... until i change directions and go forward for about 30' and then go to reverse again....

Quick Reply: 07' ford escape hybrid 4whl drive load "clunk" from rear when put into reverse

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands