08 FEH AC and misc

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 01:19 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 08 FEH AC and misc

Originally Posted by deprotinator
I also have a 2008 FEH and the same A/C problem as the original poster. I am leaning towards adding a can of refrigerant as my first fix (going to the dealer is probably my last resort). Anyway, most of the kits these days come with a gauge that shows the proper pressure while you add in the refrigerant. So I'm thinking it should be fairly easy and safe to do. I've been driving around for a while now with the mediocre AC. Would this damage my battery pack? I haven't seen any mileage drop off or other unusual things with the hybrid system. But I'm not sure if I'm robbing the battery pack of proper cooling. Do you guys know how that works? Thanks!
Just putting gpsman1's advice in a slightly different way.

The only thing the a/c does for the battery pack is to cool it when it gets too hot. The battery pack is set up to not go above 100F. It's own operation warms it up, so it can exceed that even if the outside temperature is under 100F. Presumably the a/c would have to be cooling the battery all the time if the outside temperature is above 100F.

So whether the a/c is needed to cool the battery pack depends on a combination of what sort of driving you're doing and the outside temperature. If the battery pack needs cooling and the a/c can't provide it, then you lose regeneration and the mileage savings that go with it. You also lose the electrical boost that helps at higher throttle levels. And the engine never shuts down. With partial a/c, these problems would only appear under more demanding circumstances than if the a/c wasn't working at all.

The a/c probably also cools some of the electronic components of the hybrid system, but I don't know enough about that to comment on it.

My a/c system lost all it's refrigerant about a year ago (one of the aluminum a/c lines under the body corroded through). I didn't notice anything until the first hot day of the year (about 85F), when I lost regen, boost, engine stop/start and, obviously, cabin a/c. Replacing the lines cost $1800 plus two trips to the service garage.