'08 Firmware updates?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 07:34 AM
MrT
Enthusiast
Default '08 Firmware updates?

My office just got a spankin new 2010 FEH last week. It definitely drives smarter than my '08 does.

This made me wonder if there were any updates out there for earlier years that incorporate some of these features. The main thing that I think is sharp on the '10 is the ICE cuts out just about whenever you take your foot off the accelerator. No need to double tap the brakes. I'd pay to upgrade just to get that function.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: '08 Firmware updates?

I believe the Ford upgrade plan goes like this:

1) Sell you '08 FEH
2) Purchase a '10 FEH

Old 05-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

In the 2009 model year, a larger gas engine was added, which improved MPG and performance.
The previous poster is correct, Ford has never offered software updates on the drivetrain for owners of previous models. The FEH is a continually evolving product. When the new plug-in versions come out in another year or so, all of our FEHs will probably seem like Model Ts.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by D-mac
In the 2009 model year, a larger gas engine was added, which improved MPG and performance.
The previous poster is correct, Ford has never offered software updates on the drivetrain for owners of previous models. The FEH is a continually evolving product. When the new plug-in versions come out in another year or so, all of our FEHs will probably seem like Model Ts.
The big question is the price of the new plug-in FEH and weather a plug-in kit can be installed at a reasonable cost in the older FEH. Cost will drive the market in both gas and electric and at least we are one step ahead of the gas only versions. Ethanol is also a driving factor with the 2.3L engine but not so much in my '09 FEH. At least the '10 FEH went to an electric A/C compressor where our older models owners with plug-in kits will still suffer in hot climates.

The older FEH's will need new programming with a Lithium battery plug-in upgrade and lets hope Ford dealers get into that market with a warranty of some type. I still like the odds of my FEH investments much better than any gas version only vehicle.

As the original poster pointed out, the '09 and '10 FEH is equipped with new programming to allow instant EV and complete fuel-cut above 40mph and 44mph respectively. This little gem is what is allowing me and my '09 FEH to get over 57mpg tanks on E10 using the P&G technique. My '09 FEH lifetime MPG is close to 52mpg with 22,000 miles since it rolled off the assembly line. If I had a plug-in FEH, I'm sure I could almost go a year between fill-ups with my commute.

GaryG

Old 05-08-2010, 10:50 AM
MrT
Enthusiast

Oh well. I kind of figured that was the answer.

Since I'm the OP, then let me re-route the question.

For the '10, I need to give a short list of do's and don'ts to co-workers as a mini-training before turning them loose to use the FEH. With the auto EV, that cuts out the brake tap I use with my '08.

We're in the big city and folks will be using it for business, so I don't expect maximum MPG. But I do want to give guidance for how to get good mileage. My thoughts:

-explain the various AC settings and how they impact MPG
-pump up the tires (will do this myself rather than tell everyone else)
-minimize cruise or drop out when terrain changes push RPM >3,000; I drove the '10 from ATL to Greenville, SC and even the hilly parts between G'ville and the state line weren't a problem
-gentle pedal technique for keeping it in EV
-gentle braking

Other thoughts?

Old 05-17-2010, 06:23 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D-mac
While I agree with the significant performance increase, I would contest the mpg statement. The 2009 does not have improved mpg over the 2008, nor do the epa figures reflect improved mpg. If it did, Ford would have been marketing the crap out of the mpg improvement.

Having owned both, I can attest to the increase in performance, yet at the cost of decreased mpg.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by 08FEH
While I agree with the significant performance increase, I would contest the mpg statement. The 2009 does not have improved mpg over the 2008, nor do the epa figures reflect improved mpg. If it did, Ford would have been marketing the crap out of the mpg improvement.

Having owned both, I can attest to the increase in performance, yet at the cost of decreased mpg.
MrT (Ted) has a '08 FEH and has driven the '10 FEH and should know your statement is false. The '09 and '10 FEH has a better EPA Hwy rating and overall EPA combination rating than the '08 FEH. It is true that the '09 and '10 is heavier than older FEH's and may not handle a lead foot better but it does if your burning E10. In the history of the '08 FEH, no one has ever came close to a complete 57mpg tank on straight gas, much less using E10. I just completed 5 full tanks with an 57.7mpg average and with one of those tanks at 48.123mpg going 790 miles. These tanks were all using E10 and represent first place over all hybrids and gas version vehicles driven by the top hypermilers at Cleanmpg.com in the 8th 3 month FE Challenge. This is a World EPA record for any year non plug-in FEH.

GaryG

GaryG

Old 05-18-2010, 07:15 AM
MrT
Enthusiast

I haven't driven the '10 enough to see what it'll do. It only has about 500 miles on it so far, and the MPG has worked its way up to 26.8 or so.

The MPG reading on my '08 (no nav) reset last week by itself when my oil life got down to 1%. Since getting it back from the shop (without them fixing the AC blend door(s) in the dash, arghhh!!), it's gotten up to 33 MPG. That's the best I've done, but I don't reset the reading much.

The '10 definitely drives smarter. If only they'd come up with an "Econ Cruise." That said, I drove it back from Greenville, SC and it was only touching 3k RPM with all the hills between there and the GA line. My '08 would be all over trying to keep up.

We're generally pleased with our '08. I read some of the MPG numbers posted here and I'm blown away. I've definitely changed how I drive since getting the FEH, but between the hills and ATL traffic I'd have someone perpetually behind me on the horn if I just drove for MPG. Keeping the 33MPG with my daily 8-mile highway sprint to the office will be a challenge.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by GaryG
MrT (Ted) has a '08 FEH and has driven the '10 FEH and should know your statement is false. The '09 and '10 FEH has a better EPA Hwy rating and overall EPA combination rating than the '08 FEH. It is true that the '09 and '10 is heavier than older FEH's and may not handle a lead foot better but it does if your burning E10. In the history of the '08 FEH, no one has ever came close to a complete 57mpg tank on straight gas, much less using E10. I just completed 5 full tanks with an 57.7mpg average and with one of those tanks at 48.123mpg going 790 miles. These tanks were all using E10 and represent first place over all hybrids and gas version vehicles driven by the top hypermilers at Cleanmpg.com in the 8th 3 month FE Challenge. This is a World EPA record for any year non plug-in FEH.

GaryG

GaryG
Gary,
The statement is false FOR YOU. For some people who drive "normally" rather than hypermiling, the statement may be true. Just because the newer FEH is capable of being driven for better MPG than the 1st Gen, does not mean that everyone will have the same experience.

Not to mention his particular unit may have some issues - which is possible.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by MrT
My office just got a spankin new 2010 FEH last week. It definitely drives smarter than my '08 does.

This made me wonder if there were any updates out there for earlier years that incorporate some of these features. The main thing that I think is sharp on the '10 is the ICE cuts out just about whenever you take your foot off the accelerator. No need to double tap the brakes. I'd pay to upgrade just to get that function.
To answer your original question, no - they will not update the firmware. They cannot. The 2010 changes are matched to the new engine, and those settings would not work with the 1st Generation (2008 and before) FEH.

Quick Reply: '08 Firmware updates?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands