'08 Firmware updates?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: '08 Firmware updates?

I do agree Gary that we both have very different driving styles. And I'll even allow some slack for the e10 change over.

I, and mostly my wife, don't use any gauges or gadgets. We don't double tap or shift to low. We just get in and drive. We are the other 99% of the driving population.

While your e10 excuse may be valid,it validates my statement that the 09 does not get as good mpg than the 08 is also valid.. regardless of the reason, it doesn't and that is that. For you to call that statement false is just ignorance. What would I have to gain by making this up?

You really are incorrect when you say I am a Ford hater. Just because I am unhappy with my 09, and I try to tell others about my experience doesn't mean I hate Ford. I have been trying to buy a Fusion since not long after I learned of the things in the 09 I dislike. I also have claimed how much we loved the 08.

While you and I definately drive differently, and we definately do think differently of our 09's, you simply write off anyone who doesn't adore the truck that you love. That's not very open minded.

I don't know of anyone on this site even claiming over 40 with the FEH, so if you are getting that mileage with normal every day driving, something just isn't right there. But I don't even care about debating your claims, they are not relative to me.

Why not start a pole where people can post their avg mpg on ANY year feh.

How many, besides yourself would be in the 50mpg range? What I am saying is, do you really think that the advice you are giving to those on here with these high mpg numbers will even remotely apply to the other 99% of drivers out there? The ones that don't hypermile as extreme as you?

I think while you are trying to prove something with your FEH for Ford as you say, you are actually setting the majority of readers up for disappointment and failure(not maliciously). They aren't going to get even close to 57mpg with real world driving. If people could, they would be posting it everywhere!

You keep loving your 09, I'm gonna keep trying to dump mine (at a loss albeit)...

For the record, my next hybrid will probably be a FFH.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

All right, children, don't make me stop this car!!!

Guys, we all have different perspectives on what is considered normal driving. I, for one, don't really care what criteria my driving style and area of operation fits. I joined this forum to learn new techniques from those who have been driving hybrids for quite some time and are willing to pass on their experience and wisdom to others less knowledgeable about hybrids. For that, I enjoy the GH website and forums.

As to claims, if the mileage claim has been proven via demonstrated performance and monitored by unbiased evaluators, it's valid, IMHO. I may not get the same results; so be it. I can try to improve, but there are so many variables that I may achieve the hypermileage figures; I may not. So what? It's still fun to try.

Can we quit sharpshooting and get back to trying to help each other out? It would be appreciated.

Bob

Old 05-20-2010, 06:31 AM
MrT
Enthusiast

FWIW, I believe we're on E10 year round. And I really like that the '10 does some of the smart stuff even with "everyday normal" driving. Now if only it had a sloppy cruise.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by bob95fxdl
All right, children, don't make me stop this car!!!

Guys, we all have different perspectives on what is considered normal driving. I, for one, don't really care what criteria my driving style and area of operation fits. I joined this forum to learn new techniques from those who have been driving hybrids for quite some time and are willing to pass on their experience and wisdom to others less knowledgeable about hybrids. For that, I enjoy the GH website and forums.

As to claims, if the mileage claim has been proven via demonstrated performance and monitored by unbiased evaluators, it's valid, IMHO. I may not get the same results; so be it. I can try to improve, but there are so many variables that I may achieve the hypermileage figures; I may not. So what? It's still fun to try.

Can we quit sharpshooting and get back to trying to help each other out? It would be appreciated.

Bob
Hi Bob

It's nice to see I'm not the only one having fun trying to save gas as a hobby. It's relaxing to me not being worried about a ticket, losing control of a fast moving vehicle and not hurting anyone in a car crash. I have passed on the techniques I've learned for years and want to help anyone and everyone willing to learn.

I was ask to write the article on http://www.cleanmpg.com/ by Wayne Gerdes the owner of that site that can be read here: http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350 That article was written for the '05 - '08 FEH but I'm going to add some video for the '09 FEH as soon as I can get my Son to help me.

The best news is the new firmware and hardware made in the '09 FEH and I was on it before Ford sold the vehicle. I developed a new P&G strategy for the improved engine and here are some of the results:

Since I figured out the new '09 Fwd FEH P&G technique 9 tanks ago (10/27/09) which is 6,982.4 miles, I burned 122.337 gallons of gas. This represents an average 57.07mpg 775.822 mile tank. This also puts the '09 FEH at 175.5% of EPA during this 8 month period.

Not bad for a Hybrid running E10 and I now think my mileage won't be effected by this summer's heat here.

It's not easy understanding this data but the FEH may be the most fuel efficient hybrid based on EPA percentages to date using my techniques.

GaryG

Old 05-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Old 05-25-2010, 07:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

Much as I would like to be able to update my 06 to get the numbers the new FEH is showing, it's not going to happen. I have learned, however, most of the techniques needed to maximize my 06. My drive to work involves hills, so I can't get the level terrain numbers that others are getting. Local drive is right at 6.5 miles to work and I average about 34.8 MPG, maintaining right at 45-50 MPH. On the weekends, when I go back to the ATL from LA (lower Alabama), normally with the A/C on low (I know I'd do better with it off, but it's HOT out here), I get about 31.5 MPG, holding right at 65 MPH. Do these numbers seem reasonable?

I've done the following:
- K&N oil and air filters
- full synthetic, front to rear
- regular gas
- 45psi in the tires (Firestone Destination LEs)
- have gotten halfway proficient at P&G
- keep it clean and waxed
- travel as light as possible for cargo, except for keeping the tank at least 3/4 full

The only thing I haven't done yet is switch to nitrogen in the tires, but I'm holding off on that until I switch to Latitudes this winter. If you guys have any suggestions on what else I can do, thoughts are appreciated. I had one tank where my numbers came out right at 50MPG about 6 weeks ago, but I think that was a fluke or else my math was wrong. I haven't gotten close to that since.

Gary, I'll be looking forward to the video when it comes out. It's folks like you and TA that make this a fun adventure. When the 06 dies on me (not for a while I hope), I'll look at the new FEH or FFH as the next vehicle.

Now if we could just get their prices down ................ :>)

Old 05-25-2010, 05:12 PM

Much as I would like to be able to update my 06 to get the numbers the new FEH is showing, it's not going to happen. I have learned, however, most of the techniques needed to maximize my 06. My drive to work involves hills, so I can't get the level terrain numbers that others are getting. Local drive is right at 6.5 miles to work and I average about 34.8 MPG, maintaining right at 45-50 MPH. On the weekends, when I go back to the ATL from LA (lower Alabama), normally with the A/C on low (I know I'd do better with it off, but it's HOT out here), I get about 31.5 MPG, holding right at 65 MPH. Do these numbers seem reasonable?

I've done the following:
- K&N oil and air filters
- full synthetic, front to rear
- regular gas
- 45psi in the tires (Firestone Destination LEs)
- have gotten halfway proficient at P&G
- keep it clean and waxed
- travel as light as possible for cargo, except for keeping the tank at least 3/4 full

The only thing I haven't done yet is switch to nitrogen in the tires, but I'm holding off on that until I switch to Latitudes this winter. If you guys have any suggestions on what else I can do, thoughts are appreciated. I had one tank where my numbers came out right at 50MPG about 6 weeks ago, but I think that was a fluke or else my math was wrong. I haven't gotten close to that since.

Gary, I'll be looking forward to the video when it comes out. It's folks like you and TA that make this a fun adventure. When the 06 dies on me (not for a while I hope), I'll look at the new FEH or FFH as the next vehicle.
Hi Bob and thanks

I'll try to give you my opinion on what I've found with your comments and list above.

Hills - Rolling hills can help your MPG and the lack of them can hurt your mileage like in my area. Hypermilers rely on neutral coasting with the engine OFF to build speed downhill or just coast (glide) on flat ground. Increase speed before the uphill and then glide with the engine OFF to a target speed, then start the engine and slowly climb the hill dropping or maintaining speed. This is called DWL when you start the engine and decrease or maintain speed while Driving With Load with slight acceleration uphill. So the DWL technique combined with engine OFF coasting downhill can increase your MPG. Also, the FEH can DWL in electric mode if you have the SoC. There is no way I could maintain 50mpg in my '05 FEH using E10 on my flat roads but I was able to get 61.8mpg in the '05 FEH running E10 in the rolling hills I drove in the '07 Hybridfest MPG Challenge. At speeds above the EV speed of 40mph and highway speeds you can still glide down hills in neutral with the engine running and use DWL going uphills to improve MPG. I'm limited here on flat roads with overpasses and bridges but I can still do some neutral gliding on the flat roads.

Your numbers look real good for the 6.5 mile short trip to work!

1. I use Motorcraft stock filters.

2. Full synthetic is what I use (Mobil 1 5W-20) not because of better MPG but it last longer than dino or bend. Don't put one drop more of oil than your FEH calls for to get the best mileage. The '05 -'08 holds 4.5 qts and the '09 holds 5 qts.

3. Regular 87 octane gives the best MPG for the FEH.

4. I run 50 psi in my tires.

5. P&G is the best technique out there so use your hills for this when you can.

6. Both my FEH's get the best mileage when dirty. Cleaned and waxed give me the worst MPG. All I do now is wash them for MPG and wax only for appearance and show.

7. I don't see any difference in MPG unless it's loaded with people and equipment. Next time your at a Water Park watch the huge slides for how far a heavy person glides on the level section at the end vs a light person.

8. Don't waste your time with nitrogen in the tires for MPG unless you want to go a little longer without adding air.

Avoid slowing down under 20mph and stopping when you can. Avoid Key Off stops as much as possible because a restart sucks down the gas with a Key restart. Learn how to do the accelerator blip to restart from EV before an automatic restart from a low battery or too hard of acceleration. Keep the FEH in EV as long as possible while driving. Keep the SoC above 42% and I try to keep it above 43% except during a morning warm-up strategy. I'll demonstrate my cold engine warm-up engine On P&G in the video. Park Face Out and get moving as soon as traffic clears with a Key-On start-up. As soon as I hit the Key I'm in gear and moving in less than a second. Plan your route and know wind speed and direction before getting in the car. Adjust windows, seat belts and remove your right shoe etc before Key start-up. Know how your traffic lights are timed and adjust speed accordingly to make them if possible by letting others trip them first.

Just a few...

GaryG

Old 05-25-2010, 06:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

Wow, more info than I expected. I'll check and see what I can do in accordance with your recommendations. Appreciate the help.

Bob

Old 05-26-2010, 07:13 AM

Wow, more info than I expected. I'll check and see what I can do in accordance with your recommendations. Appreciate the help.

Bob
FWIW Bob and others, since I get extremely good mileage out of my FEH's, I can tell when the slightest thing is wrong. Over the years hypermiling I've had a few tires that leak faster than the others. One of my Eco-Plus would leak down 5psi within a week or two and I could see it every time in my '05 FEH that the mileage was dropping off. It only took that one tire to drop from 50psi to 45psi to notice this ~3 MPG drop. I replaced that tire with the Michelins and they hold air much better. I've been seeing a slow decrease in MPG in my '09 FEH lately so I just check my tires and found one at 48psi and one at 45psi. That's it for sure so I turned on my big compressor and I'm letting the tank fill while I post this. As you can read here, air pressure can make a big difference so I think it's worth knowing about.

GaryG

Old 05-31-2010, 06:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D-mac
In the 2009 model year, a larger gas engine was added, which improved MPG and performance.
The previous poster is correct, Ford has never offered software updates on the drivetrain for owners of previous models. The FEH is a continually evolving product. When the new plug-in versions come out in another year or so, all of our FEHs will probably seem like Model Ts.
BITE YOUR TONGUE!
My 09 is the greatest ESCOPY on the planet.

Quick Reply: '08 Firmware updates?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands