'08 Firmware updates?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: '08 Firmware updates?

Originally Posted by MrCrank
I'm finding myself not very convinced. If a "dirty" surface actually results in less air friction -- enough to make a testable result in MPG -- then we would be seeing textured surfaces on aircraft wings and fuselages. Instead they go to great expense to file down all the rivets (as opposed to old planes like the Ford tri-motor) and create a laminar airflow.

Irregular surfaces generate turbulence. Turbulence takes energy to create.

I'm not disputing the data -- the theory to explain it just doesn't fit.
Historical note:

The SR-71 (fastest manned aircraft in history) had a skin with up and down slots. People accused the Skunkworks of trying to make a Ford Tri-Motor go supersonic!!

But it wasn't because of speed, it was because it allowed the skin to expand and contract without popping rivets.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:44 PM

Yes, my vehicle gets improved mileage with a wax job when compared to a dirty vehicle. It happens every time. No kidding. The dirty car here creates too much drag:
Name:  atanvilskiarea.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  145.0 KB
The effect of snow and dirt kills mileage (mpg). One has a heck of time trying to keep the vehicle clean to during the winter months. The northern folks know all about this.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Billyk
Yes, my vehicle gets improved mileage with a wax job when compared to a dirty vehicle. It happens every time. No kidding. The dirty car here creates too much drag:

The effect of snow and dirt kills mileage (mpg). One has a heck of time trying to keep the vehicle clean during the winter months. The northern folks know all about this.
Okay Billy I'll bite, you have no mileage log and you support ethanol! If you and others (GatorJ) are too embarrassed to give us real numbers, that's okay. If you and GatorJ want to bet your *** and FEH on a mileage challenge, put up or shut up. Now crawl back in your hole.

GaryG

Old 06-17-2010, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by GaryG
Okay Billy I'll bite, you have no mileage log and you support ethanol! If you and others (GatorJ) are too embarrassed to give us real numbers, that's okay. If you and GatorJ want to bet your *** and FEH on a mileage challenge, put up or shut up. Now crawl back in your hole.

GaryG
Gary,
I realize you are (justifiably) proud of your results, but your post does you no justice. People ARE going to have different results, and some people may indeed get better mileage with a clean car UNDER THEIR driving conditions and methods. YMMV - clean or dirty.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by stevedebi
Gary,
I realize you are (justifiably) proud of your results, but your post does you no justice. People ARE going to have different results, and some people may indeed get better mileage with a clean car UNDER THEIR driving conditions and methods. YMMV - clean or dirty.
Your right Steve, I took the low road on that comment and I'm sorry.

GaryG

Old 06-17-2010, 09:26 AM

Your right Steve, I took the low road on that comment and I'm sorry.

GaryG
No big, you are a crusader, and sometimes the blood gets hot when pursuing the goal.

I appreciate your efforts in pushing the envelope. I don't go for those goals, but it is nice to see that someone can. Who knows, maybe someone out there may challenge your totals... unlikely as that seems.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:32 PM

GaryG

Sorry, I am a professional and work 50+ hours a week. If I had the luxury of time, I could map out some isolated course that has nothing to do with REAL driving and ring up some crazy numbers as well. I, however, have to drive in the real world, I am mindful of others and I don't believe anyone has a pass to violate traffic laws or endanger others in my quest of a MPG trophy.

Your dirty car thing remains utter nonsense.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by GatorJ
Sorry, I am a professional and work 50+ hours a week. If I had the luxury of time, I could map out some isolated course that has nothing to do with REAL driving and ring up some crazy numbers as well. I, however, have to drive in the real world, I am mindful of others and I don't believe anyone has a pass to violate traffic laws or endanger others in my quest of a MPG trophy.

Your dirty car thing remains utter nonsense.
A Professional does not have to work 50+ hours a week and has the luxury of time if he or she wants. Sorry, things are so bad for you but don't blame me. I would fire you if I was your boss!

GaryG

Old 06-20-2010, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by garyg
a professional does not have to work 50+ hours a week and has the luxury of time if he or she wants. Sorry, things are so bad for you but don't blame me. I would fire you if i was your boss!

Garyg

ok.

Last edited by GatorJ; 06-20-2010 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by stevedebi
No big, you are a crusader, and sometimes the blood gets hot when pursuing the goal.

I appreciate your efforts in pushing the envelope. I don't go for those goals, but it is nice to see that someone can. Who knows, maybe someone out there may challenge your totals... unlikely as that seems.
Well Steve, thanks for the confidence!

I have not washed my '09 FEH since the wax job 11/5/09 and I can confirm the best MPG of any FEH ever. My '09 FEH is as dirty as it gets and I may have a 60mpg tank for the first time ever for an SUV. Ford needs to do some more tunnel test or something because my '09 FEH is Off the charts!

The video I made of the warm-up P&G was an example of my MPG average but I need to get down and dirty to show my techniques to you folks.

GaryG