'09 FEH - 62.329mpg Tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 04:38 PM
Default '09 FEH - 62.329mpg Tank

Never thought I'd get to a 60mpg tank in my '09 FEH, but I busted through one this tank. This has been a hot month and with no cabin A/C , I kept the windows all the way down most of the time. I tried to reduce the amount of key-off stops like when I pick-up my wife for lunch and shopping. Some of my quick stops I left the FEH in EV while I ran in to pick things up because every key-off stop drains the battery and the engine gets a big drink of gas with a key start-up.
http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?pa...9&viewcar=2612

GaryG

Old 08-20-2010, 08:05 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: '09 FEH - 62.329mpg Tank

So how happy was the wife during this tank? Mine gets PO'd when I leave the ac off trying to get a little better mpg.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by colchiro
So how happy was the wife during this tank? Mine gets PO'd when I leave the ac off trying to get a little better mpg.
My wife must have a nice ice cold A/C year round in our home and autos here in South Florida. No problem because I have two other cars we also drive together and those A/Cs stay On just about 100% of the time when she is in them or with the family. She doesn't even want a key to my '09 FEH so I do all the driving in that which is about 12,000 miles a year. I do most of the driving in the other cars also and hypermile with the A/C On whenever anyone is with me. Those cars get better MPG with the A/C On with highway driving which works out perfect for all. I figure my hobby of hypermiling saves us enough on gas for the whole family so why should they suffer without the A/C.

All of my cars are loaded with all the options so they are not bad vehicles to drive at all. Rhonda (my wife) will get the new 2011 Limited Explorer on order and take that to work which is only 5 miles from our home. We picked the 2011 Limited Explorer to tow our boat but it is 20% more efficient and has much more HP than the 2010. It also has a new Variable-displacement air-conditioning compressor which has a lower drag on the new 290 HP V6.

Rhonda has no problems with me hypermiling with no A/C in my '09 FEH because we have a choice to take a car running an A/C any time she wants. I enjoy the A/C also and expect the new Limited Explorer will be a real fun driver for the whole family, and get good MPG. We plan to keep a mileage log from day one on the new Explorer at CleanMPG.com like I've done with my '09 FEH. I'm going to include all repairs and maintenance records in the note areas for a complete history for anyone to see if interested. The information is backed-up daily by Sean there so you can't ask for a better service for free. Anytime I need to recall information for a dealer or anything, I can always pull it up on my iPhone.

GaryG

Old 08-21-2010, 07:40 AM
Imported from Detroit

Tried to find the post but couldn't where you were asking about the tow package transmission in the '11 Explorer to reply to. So, what is it??

No manuals are avaiable yet, even to a dealer.

Last edited by wptski; 08-21-2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by wptski
Tried to find the post but couldn't where you were asking about the tow package transmission in the '11 Explorer to reply to. So, what is it??

No manuals are avaiable yet, even to a dealer.
I have not seen anything as to the model number but the Limited and Class III Trailer Tow Package (includes a SelectShift Automatic Transmission (manual paddle or straight automatic combination), Engine Oil Cooler, Tire Mobility Kit & 4, 7 - Pin Wiring Harness). I don't know what the Tire Mobility Kit is exactly. Here is a spec document but you can view the Explorer order guide on BlueOval.com in the Explorer Forum that I can't provide the link here.
http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2...orer_Specs.pdf

Your right, the Explorer only comes with two 6 speed automatic transmissions and one is the SelectShift I'm getting.

GaryG

Old 08-21-2010, 09:03 AM
Imported from Detroit

Whoops, I misread your post, I thought that you had it already.

I asked the service shop foreman the other day while duplicating my Death Lag, what tranny was in the '11 Explorer and he didn't know. It would have to be either the Edge/Taurus 6F50 or the Taurus SHO 6F55. If the tow package includes the beefier 6F55, it should be a good jump in price.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:10 AM

Whoops, I misread your post, I thought that you had it already.

I asked the service shop foreman the other day while duplicating my Death Lag, what tranny was in the '11 Explorer and he didn't know. It would have to be either the Edge/Taurus 6F50 or the Taurus SHO 6F55. If the tow package includes the beefier 6F55, it should be a good jump in price.
I'll be lucky if Ford starts production on the 2011 Explorer in November so I can get it before Xmas. The SelectShift comes standard on the XLT and Limited and there is a huge jump in price on those. The Base Model comes with the standard 6 speed unless you order the Tow Package. The Tow Package was only (retail) $570 on my Limited but I'll bet it's much more to add to the Base Model with the SelectShift. I got the 301A rapid spec ($1700), White Plat TRI Color ($495), and Tow Package ($570) so total retail was $41060. I ordered X-Plan for $38748 plus taxes & tag. The 302A rapid spec would have delayed the build date into next year and I didn't need those things anyway. My package comes with the Voice Nav and back-up camera with zoom for hooking-up my boat trailer as well as the 12 speaker Sony System.

This should be a very nice car but I've heard that at least the Escape and Fusion was having 6 speed transmission problems I don't need. If Ford screws the 2011 Explorer owners over, that will be it for Ford. My '09 FEH has never been in the shop except for seat and carpet damage from a chlorine spill which was my fault.

GaryG

Old 08-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by GaryG
This should be a very nice car but I've heard that at least the Escape and Fusion was having 6 speed transmission problems I don't need. If Ford screws the 2011 Explorer owners over, that will be it for Ford. My '09 FEH has never been in the shop except for seat and carpet damage from a chlorine spill which was my fault.

GaryG
That's the 6F35 problem transmission. People have purchased the '09 FE to flat tow behind a RV because it's listed that way. Some on their third one now. The Ford quick fix was to run the ATF level at the lower level of the good range on the dipstick but even then some have cooked them. There was said to be extra baffling added to cure the problem. Just read of a '10 FE that was towed and on its second tranny, so they still haven't fixed that problem.

Even this service shop foreman said that the some 6F35 bang, clunk, shift flares and then slows destroys itself.

The @Ford magazine that I got yesterday states that the '11 Explorer has New fuel-efficient 6-speed transmissions.

Last edited by wptski; 08-21-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:43 PM

That's the 6F35 problem transmission. People have purchased the '09 FE to flat tow behind a RV because it's listed that way. Some on their third one now. The Ford quick fix was to run the ATF level at the lower level of the good range on the dipstick but even then some have cooked them. There was said to be extra baffling added to cure the problem. Just read of a '10 FE that was towed and on its second tranny, so they still haven't fixed that problem.

Even this service shop foreman said that the some 6F35 bang, clunk, shift flares and then slows destroys itself.

The @Ford magazine that I got yesterday states that the '11 Explorer has New fuel-efficient 6-speed transmissions.
If you like 4WD, read this great article about the new 2011 Explorer 4WD!
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...bai/index.html

I think I got that Ford magazine also, I'll look at it thanks.

GaryG

Old 08-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by GaryG
If you like 4WD, read this great article about the new 2011 Explorer 4WD!
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...bai/index.html

I think I got that Ford magazine also, I'll look at it thanks.

GaryG
Interesting but not much mechanical details except the water cooled PTO. Geez, where have I heard that mentioned?? Williard was correct.

Quick Reply: '09 FEH - 62.329mpg Tank

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands