'09 FEH - 62.329mpg Tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 03:09 PM
Default Re: '09 FEH - 62.329mpg Tank

Originally Posted by wptski
Interesting but not much mechanical details except the water cooled PTO. Geez, where have I heard that mentioned?? Williard was correct.
Willard was correct but I was impressed by the performance in those conditions:

"Slogging through some particularly deep sand, Ufford asked if I could feel the Terrain Management electronics working. He explained that while the rear differential is an open unit, individual brake application makes the entire assembly work as if the unit is a limited-slip. All I could sense was that we weren't slowing down. All four wheels were throwing rooster tails of sand."

GaryG

Old 08-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by GaryG
Willard was correct but I was impressed by the performance in those conditions:

"Slogging through some particularly deep sand, Ufford asked if I could feel the Terrain Management electronics working. He explained that while the rear differential is an open unit, individual brake application makes the entire assembly work as if the unit is a limited-slip. All I could sense was that we weren't slowing down. All four wheels were throwing rooster tails of sand."

GaryG
That's a explanation of traction control that we already have.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:55 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Time to update your sig? What's your MTE now?

Old 08-28-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by colchiro

Time to update your sig? What's your MTE now?
That's the best sig shot I'll ever see again in my '05 FEH. Florida mandated E10 in April of '09 and the '05 rarely sees a 44mpg tank anymore on that crap. Florida is pretty much flat and I don't have those big mountains like GPSman1 has to fill-up at the bottom either.

I took a chance and ordered my '09 FEH hoping the new broadband HO2 sensors would adjust the PCM to E10 much better and I was right ON with my thinking. The '09 MTE only goes as high as 699 miles, so it would be a waste for me to post a picture of that. Even though the manuals state both my FEH's have a 15 gallon tank, the '09 will not take near as much gas as my '05 will. Also, the '05 has 1.3 gallons left at 0 MTE and the '09 only has .8 gallons at 0 MTE. I was hoping to someday hit a 1,000 mile tank in my '09 ON 15.4 gallons of E10 because that seems to be as much gas I can put in the tank from empty with the right slope. That would mean I would have to get 65mpg ON E10. I think I'll need straight 87 octane for that goal.

I've also stopped stuffing my tank full and just add 13.6 gallons at each fill-up now. I think you get a much more consistent MPG by not filling into the vapor space designed inside the gas tank. This way the vapor recovery system can function normally. I've also adjusted my SGII by using 13.6 gallons each fill-up so now my SGII tracks my MPG almost perfect with the pumped gas. At about 1/2 of the tank I start seeing the MTE on my '09 adjusting so that if I add my trip miles to the MTE reading I get over the 699 mile maximum it reads at fill-up. It keeps adjusting as I get closer to 0 MTE and on this tank it adjusted so I went over 800 miles before 0 MTE. I always reset my Trip B at 0 MTE to go another 50 miles before filling up again. I know I have .8 gallons of gas left at 0 MTE so I monitor my MPG average closely during this time and have never ran out of gas again. This allows me to put 13.6 gallons in at each fill-up with no problems. BTW, I only went 45 miles past 0 MTE and wasn't going spoil my best tank ever by running out of gas!

GaryG

Old 08-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I drove for about 45 minutes after MTE of zero on a Sunday night in the boonies and was shi#ing bricks, after my Garmin had me chasing down a closed station. Finally some guy sold me his lawn mower gas and pointed me in the right direction. The problem came from not understanding the Garmin was telling me the distance to the next turn, not the destination.