09 FEH sit for about a year, can't jump star

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 05:36 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 09 FEH sit for about a year, can't jump star

Originally Posted by S Keith
I recently helped someone with an 09 Mariner. They let it sit for 6 months while they were elsewhere (retiree spends their summers in WI, winters in AZ). Their HV battery discharged to 250V (well below nominal - completely dead). Your HV battery is likely similarly severely discharged to the point that the HV battery can't supply the current necessary to spin the ICE without potentially damaging the battery.

Owner's manual states that the 12V should be disconnected during storage for extended periods or HV battery damage may occur.

It is my understanding that the dealer has a special Ford charger that can charge the HV battery. Unfortunately, in the case I mentioned, the dealership charged him $1000 for diagnostics and were unable to charge it. I suspect gross ineptitude on their part. They told him he needed a new battery for $4000 (64K miles, still under warranty - denied).

I charged the 12V, disassembled the HV battery, charged it, and he was good to go. I also installed a harness and provided a power supply that will allow him to charge it externally if needed.

Get the 12V replaced yourself. KNOW that it's in good shape. Call around and get hold of a dealer that KNOWS the FEH. Too many don't have any experience with it.
Hi S Kieth,
You say that you installed a harness and provided a power supply to allow this gentleman to, in the future, charge his HV Battery externally if needed. Would you be willing to help me with instructions on how to do the same? I have almost the exact same situation as you described for the gentleman above, and I'm just trying to get my car back running.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...ry-jump-31056/

Old 10-03-2019, 01:34 PM
Enthusiast

I have the same problem with my 2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid. Due to circumstances beyond my control it was sitting too long. The 12V battery was unchargeable so I got a new one but it still wouldn't start. Dealer diagnostics found nothing else wrong except the HV battery had discharged to 260V. DTCs are P0A7D (HV battery SOC low), P1A07 (inverter HV Performance), and P1A10 (HV battery disabled).

I need to know more details on how to recharge it. Can anybody help me? I'm in Albuquerque. Is there anyone in the area who knows how to do this? If I don't figure this out, I would have to order a reconditioned battery online and hope it works. It is such a nice vehicle with low miles and in very good condition otherwise. I need help, please.

Old 10-03-2019, 05:18 PM
Enthusiast

I have the same problem with my 2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid. Due to circumstances beyond my control it was sitting too long. The 12V battery was unchargeable so I got a new one but it still wouldn't start. Dealer diagnostics found nothing else wrong except the HV battery had discharged to 260V. DTCs are P0A7D (HV battery SOC low), P1A07 (inverter HV Performance), and P1A10 (HV battery disabled).

I need to know more details on how to recharge it. Can anybody help me? I'm in Albuquerque. Is there anyone in the area who knows how to do this? If I can't figure it out I may have to order a reconditioned battery online and hope it works. It is such a nice vehicle with low miles and in very good condition otherwise. I need help.

Old 02-22-2021, 06:31 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
I recently helped someone with an 09 Mariner. They let it sit for 6 months while they were elsewhere (retiree spends their summers in WI, winters in AZ). Their HV battery discharged to 250V (well below nominal - completely dead). Your HV battery is likely similarly severely discharged to the point that the HV battery can't supply the current necessary to spin the ICE without potentially damaging the battery.

Owner's manual states that the 12V should be disconnected during storage for extended periods or HV battery damage may occur.

It is my understanding that the dealer has a special Ford charger that can charge the HV battery. Unfortunately, in the case I mentioned, the dealership charged him $1000 for diagnostics and were unable to charge it. I suspect gross ineptitude on their part. They told him he needed a new battery for $4000 (64K miles, still under warranty - denied).

I charged the 12V, disassembled the HV battery, charged it, and he was good to go. I also installed a harness and provided a power supply that will allow him to charge it externally if needed.

Get the 12V replaced yourself. KNOW that it's in good shape. Call around and get hold of a dealer that KNOWS the FEH. Too many don't have any experience with it.
Hello how exactly did you hook up that external harness to charge the battery in the future. I jus took mi es apart and reassembled it and would like to add that external charger for an easier time if it happens again

Old 02-22-2021, 03:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

you did say very low mileage - that's a good buy, WELL depending on getting repair records and of course the selling price