100k Service: advisable to go to Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 07:39 AM
Enthusiast
Default 100k Service: advisable to go to Dealer?

Hello all,

I just passed 100k miles on my 2008 FEH. I called my dealer regarding 100k mile service. They gave me a quote of $965 which seemed rather high to me. It includes:

REPLACE SPARK PLUGS. QUOTED ABOUT 300.00
FORD VEHICLE REPORT CARD AND MULTI-POINT INSPECTION
90K - WORKS PACKAGE UP TO 5 QUARTS SYNTHETIC BLEND OIL, REPLACE ENGINE AIR FILTER, REPLACE CABIN AIR FILTER, 4 WHEEL ALIGNMENT, TRANSMISSION FLUSH, COOLANT FLUSH, TOP OFF ALL FLUIDS, MULTI-POINT SAFETY INSPECTION AND VEHICLE HEALTH REPORT.

Is there anything on this list that I can only get done at the dealership? Seems all I'm getting is spark plugs, alignment, and oil change.

Thanks !

Thos.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:52 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 100k Service: advisable to go to Dealer?

Unless you aren't good mechanically then no, there isn't anything they do you can't do. For a coolant flush what I like to do is use full strength Zerex g-05 and drain the coolant twice and fill with distilled water (reverse osmosis should be ok). After you've filled it back up for the second time, which on these burping requires a spirited drive, they don't burp from letting them idle, even 15 minutes, you take an drain only a gallon out then put the gallon of full strength in. Couldn't be easier. Yes, it's not a full flush, but you get a good deal of it out and you should be doing coolant ever 3 years after the first time anyways.

Alignment is really only done if you have uneven tire wear. Spark plugs couldn't be easier to change, just take your time and don't force them out, aluminum heads and all, a torque wrench is a good idea on these.

Semi synthetic is crap unless you are changing oil every 4k, if you want to change ever 6k run full synthetic and a filter rated for synthetic.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:58 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 100k Service: advisable to go to Dealer?

Originally Posted by thos19
Hello all,

I just passed 100k miles on my 2008 FEH. I called my dealer regarding 100k mile service. They gave me a quote of $965 which seemed rather high to me. It includes:

REPLACE SPARK PLUGS. QUOTED ABOUT 300.00
FORD VEHICLE REPORT CARD AND MULTI-POINT INSPECTION
90K - WORKS PACKAGE UP TO 5 QUARTS SYNTHETIC BLEND OIL, REPLACE ENGINE AIR FILTER, REPLACE CABIN AIR FILTER, 4 WHEEL ALIGNMENT, TRANSMISSION FLUSH, COOLANT FLUSH, TOP OFF ALL FLUIDS, MULTI-POINT SAFETY INSPECTION AND VEHICLE HEALTH REPORT.

Is there anything on this list that I can only get done at the dealership? Seems all I'm getting is spark plugs, alignment, and oil change.

Thanks !

Thos.
When my vehicles hit 100K, I have my mechanic check all the steering linkages and check the brake lines and brakes, replace the belts, replace the timing belt, in addition to flushing the coolant, replacing the plugs, air filter, rear AC air filter on this hybrid, oil and filter, and rotate the tires.