12v accessory ports - always on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 04:45 PM
Enthusiast
Default 12v accessory ports - always on? (Success!!)

I just purchased an '08 mariner hybrid, and loving it. I do have one question, though - I use a bluetooth fm transmitter that plugs into the 12v cigarette lighter to listen to podcasts on the way to work. The power to it always stays on - even when the ignition is off and the key is removed.

Is there a setting to have the 12v power turn off when the engine is off?

And yes, I could use the aux in feature, but I much prefer to use the bluetooth to make and receive phone calls hands-free.

Thanks - Adam

Last edited by Bigolac; 09-01-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 12v accessory ports - always on?

On my 2007 there are two 12v outlets, one is always on, the other is on/off with ignition.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by econoline
On my 2007 there are two 12v outlets, one is always on, the other is on/off with ignition.
So which is which?

To the OP, it's simple to change the power source to a switched feed as long as you don't ever use an actual cigar lighter in the socket.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:57 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rex B
So which is which?

To the OP, it's simple to change the power source to a switched feed as long as you don't ever use an actual cigar lighter in the socket.
I'd love to know how to do it - you're talking about a switched adapter of some sort?

Old 08-21-2017, 07:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bigolac
I'd love to know how to do it - you're talking about a switched adapter of some sort?
Simple wiring job. Just disconnect the 12V feed (on the back of the power socket) which is currently hot all the time, tie it off, then connect a wire from any other power source that is switched - radio power, dome lights, etc. Usually there is something nearby to tap in to. The ideal source is the other power outlet which is already switched, as it has lots more current capacity than you need. As long as you are just running USB ports from it almost any circuit should be OK. You can also run a longer wire from the fusebox which will have several points to pick up switched (and unswitched) power.

Hope that's not confusing.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:55 PM

There's probably a way to make the change at the fuse panel.

On the MMH do you have the fuse panel on the left side of the passenger foot well? If so, confirm that fuse F17 (20A) is the one for your circuit by pulling it to interrupt the "Hot at all times" power.

Fuse F24 (20A) is the fuse for the switched circuit that you want. That fuse socket maybe empty since you don't have the switched "Power Point" that I have.

Depending on what you see so far, this could be as simple as pulling F17 and jumpering one side of it's socket to F24. Then again, the MMH could be completely different than the FEH but I doubt that.

Let us know.

Last edited by econoline; 08-22-2017 at 07:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-22-2017, 05:40 PM
Enthusiast

There's probably a way to make the change at the fuse panel.

On the MMH do you have the fuse panel on the left side of the passenger foot well? If so, confirm that fuse F17 (20A) is the one for your circuit by pulling it to interrupt the "Hot at all times" power.

Fuse F24 (20A) is the fuse for the switched circuit that you want. That fuse socket maybe empty since you don't have the switched "Power Point" that I have.

Depending on what you see so far, this could be as simple as pulling F20 and jumpering one side of it's socket to F24. Then again, the MMH could be completely different than the FEH but I doubt that.

Let us know.
Here's a shot of my fuse panel, on the passenger side:

Name:  LtqnPIm.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  2.34 MB

So by jumping you mean take a wire and plug it into each of the fuse sockets?

Thanks - Adam

Last edited by Bigolac; 08-22-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:41 PM

Adam, my 2007 fuse panel is completely different than your 2008, so my wiring diagrams aren't going to help.

Do you have the Owner's Manual? Does it show the fuse descriptions in a table? Is one of them labelled "Power Point"?

Old 08-22-2017, 08:29 PM
Enthusiast

Adam, my 2007 fuse panel is completely different than your 2008, so my wiring diagrams aren't going to help.

Do you have the Owner's Manual? Does it show the fuse descriptions in a table? Is one of them labelled "Power Point"?
I do - it's labeled as a 20 amp 'front power point'. (#40 fuse location).

There is also a 20 amp fuse for the rear power point, but that is located under the hood apparently.

Last edited by Bigolac; 08-22-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:45 PM

Okay then, pull fuse F40 and see if that cuts power to the cigar lighter that you want to use.

Quick Reply: 12v accessory ports - always on?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands