2005 Escape HEV trailer hitch wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2005 Escape HEV trailer hitch wiring harness

Originally Posted by TeeSter
There is a power line that has to be fished all the way back to the battery as well and a converter box.
I wonder if the problem that Daryl had (the OP in this thread), was that he either did not connect that power line, or did it incorrectly???

Old 10-02-2006, 11:50 AM
Enthusiast

Is this issue only for the 2005? For my 2007 etrailer.com sent me this Valley #30130 controller along with the hybrid hidden hitch. It doesnt require any splicing and simply plugs into the rear light harness. I figure that if the trailer has LED lights the current draw is likely to be minimal.

http://www.etrailer.com/mm5/merchant...H&vehicle=2007 Ford Escape%20Hybrid

Old 10-02-2006, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by timcob
For my 2007 etrailer.com sent me this Valley #30130 controller along with the hybrid hidden hitch.
Good lead! I just check out Valley's website.

Valley #30130 is for the Escape and Tribute.

Valley #30131 is for the Mariner.

Old 10-03-2006, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
Valley #30131 is for the Mariner.
BTW, I emailed eTrailer about availability of wiring kit 30131, and they replied that they just added it to their website.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:42 PM
Early Adopter

The only worry I have about this kit is it doesn't appear to be powered.

The taillight wiring in the Escape/Mariner/Tribute is very light weight and I don't think it was designed with the additional load of trailer lights in mind.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Enthusiast

A sealed LED trailer combo light - what most people are using these days - uses 1/3 of an amp or less - you are probably looking at an amp or less for the trailer lights in total - its not as if you are going to be pulling a huge trailer with the 1000 pound capacity. When I hooked the likghts up it looked like at least 14 guage wire. That would allow you 32 amps - thats plenty of capacity.

See http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

Old 10-03-2006, 08:54 PM

According to your chart it would carry about 5.9Amps. Lights (when they are on as a taillamp) draw all the time. At night, I'd consider a light a power draw, not a chassis wire. That being said, it still might be fine, I don't know all the loads involved.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by stevewa
The only worry I have about this kit is it doesn't appear to be powered.

The taillight wiring in the Escape/Mariner/Tribute is very light weight and I don't think it was designed with the additional load of trailer lights in mind.
I agree.

So, when I ordered the Valley #30131 wiring harness for my MMH, I also ordered the Modulite adapter 18193 to "re-power" the wires.

I compared the FE/MT 30130 to the MM 30131 harness, and because of the lack of the separate turn signals in the rear, I believe that the 30130 would not work on the MM. Well, not without forfeiting the simple "plug and play", and splicing-up the harness.

Old 10-04-2006, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
According to your chart it would carry about 5.9Amps. Lights (when they are on as a taillamp) draw all the time. At night, I'd consider a light a power draw, not a chassis wire. That being said, it still might be fine, I don't know all the loads involved.
Also, if I remember right, the message sensor has a check for "Ext. Lights". If you draw too much power you might trigger that. So if you try a system without a power adapter, that might be one way of checking if there is a problem.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:34 AM
Enthusiast

I thought I would jump in here with some info. about my experience so far with the trailer lights. I own a 2006 Escape Hybrid I recently installed a basic four prong trailer light harness from our local RV center, in addition I installed the turn signal adapter to convert to basic trailer lights. The install went well and once finished the plug tested out a-okay. When I plugged the trailer in ( this is a basic 4x6 trailer with minimal lights) the running lights and brake light seemed to function just fine. When I used the turn signal whichever one I activated first worked fine but it seemed to disable the ooposite one. By disable I mean that it just stopped working even with the trailer unplugged. To correct this once it happened I had to remove the tail light and disconnect the plug in at the bulb then reconnect and everything seems to reset and be okay. I also would get an indication on the dash that an exterior lamp had failed. There seems to be no lasting damamge but it certainly is a pain to have to always unplug the light to reset. Since then I have ordered the wiring harness and power module from etrailer. They should arrive in the next couple of weeks and I will try one at a time. I guess I post this to share that I have a very minimal load on the lights and it seems to affect the system so I am starting to conclude that the power module is a must in this vehicle.

Quick Reply: 2005 Escape HEV trailer hitch wiring harness

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands