2005 Escape Hybrid CVT Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2005 Escape Hybrid CVT Issue

OK, I just bought an 05 Ford Escape Hybrid and I thought it had an issue with the CVT Transmission. So...I bought and installed a used CVT and it did not resolve the issue. It is still doing the exact same thing. At first I thought it was slipping; now I am not convinced. It only seems to happen around 40 MPH. I thought the damper disc between the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) and the trans was slipping, but now I think that maybe the engine is just having trouble assisting. Here are a couple of videos and descriptions to help explain what is going on. Any help that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

OK. Here are a couple of videos.
In Video 1, I am accelerating from a stop as I normally would. I never let off the accelerator. When the RPMs drops, it felt like it was trying to "shift" like an automatic would. I kept steady even pressure on the accelerator until the "Stop Safely Now" message appeared.

In Video 2, I pulled off to the side of the road after video 1, shut off the ignition, restarted it, and accelerated with the accelerator pedal pressed all the way to the floor. Again, I did NOT let off the accelerator where you see the RPMs drop and again it felt like it was trying to "shift". Let me know if you have any ideas please.

Last edited by Fuzzy317; 09-10-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2005 Escape Hybrid CVT Issue

Hi
Years ago I had a truck that acted like it was starving for fuel. Check carb and no fuel. Went nuts new fuel pump, filter no change. Later discovered muffler collapsed inside restricting flow which caused the problem. Later had a vw with bad catalytic converter do something similar.

Do you get any codes?

Chuck

Old 09-10-2013, 09:12 PM
Enthusiast

I am not sure if I have a code scanner that will read them. I am going to try a few tomorrow and see if it gives me anything. Do you think it's the gas engine struggling to provide enough power?

Old 09-11-2013, 02:12 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Looks a lot like an overheating electric motor, simple fix. Check out MECS pump replacement.You might want to do yourself a favor and first get the computer read correctly before throwing more parts at the problem.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

It would second the overheating thought and need for MECS pump replacement. Where did you get an used electronic CVT and what did you pay for this ultra-expensive item that retails for something like $9k new?

Old 09-11-2013, 06:10 PM
Enthusiast

From what I have read, they are $14K new. I only read that after buying mine. I paid less than $1,000 for one with 111,000 miles on it. My rig has 114K.

So I was able to read the following DTCs with my SCT tuner.

P0685 - Electronic Control Module Power Relay Control Circuit Malfunction
P1A0C - Hybrid Powertrain Control Module Engine Disabled
P1A14 - Hybrid Powertrain Control Module Transmission Disabled
P0A0A - High Voltage System Interlock Circuit
P0562 - System Voltage Low

I cleared the codes and drove it again. The first code to come back on after recreating the "Stop Safely Now" condition was P1A0C.

Should I still look at the MECS? If not, any other thoughts?

Old 09-12-2013, 04:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

Along the lines of possible fuel/starvation problems I found an article at fixya that suggests a throttle body cleaning might be needed.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

Did a search for P0562 and it turned up a potential (and cheap) relay problem as a likely cause. Check for corrosion and clean/replace before proceeding with other troubleshooting.

Here's a good thread on it -- https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...0/index29.html

P0562 - System Voltage Low
Description: This DTC is set when the transaxle control module (TCM) detects low system voltage or when the key is turned to the OFF position and the vehicle travels for an additional 10 seconds.
Possible Causes:
Voltage to TCM concern
TCM ground concern
Vehicle traveling for 10 seconds with the key in OFF position
Diagnostic Aids: Diagnose other TCM and powertrain control module (PCM) DTCs first. Testing is done through the transaxle connector.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:47 PM
Enthusiast

UPDATE

I have finally found the cause of the problem. The manifold catalytic converter was plugged. I removed the Pre-Cat O2 sensor and the condition improved. I was able the get up to about 60 MPH and the SSN never came on. I reinstalled the Pre-Cat O2 and removed the Post-Cat O2 and ran it again. This time I got the same as the original symptoms and the exhaust wasn't even loud. There was little to nothing getting through the cat. I removed the manifold and cleaned it out and it ran great.

Unfortunately, on my test drive with the pre-cat O2 sensor removed, I melted the vacuum canister that's bolted to the firewall so I now need to replace that. I also discovered that I have a spun connecting rod bearing on the number 2 connecting rod. I have the lower end torn apart waiting for bearings on Tuesday morning. Hopefully the crank will be OK and I can just throw the bearings in and be good to go.

I will keep you all posted. Thank you for all of your input. AND, if anyone needs a CVT Transmission, let me know.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:53 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by Fuzzy317
UPDATE

I have finally found the cause of the problem. The manifold catalytic converter was plugged. I removed the Pre-Cat O2 sensor and the condition improved. I was able the get up to about 60 MPH and the SSN never came on. I reinstalled the Pre-Cat O2 and removed the Post-Cat O2 and ran it again. This time I got the same as the original symptoms and the exhaust wasn't even loud. There was little to nothing getting through the cat. I removed the manifold and cleaned it out and it ran great.

Unfortunately, on my test drive with the pre-cat O2 sensor removed, I melted the vacuum canister that's bolted to the firewall so I now need to replace that. I also discovered that I have a spun connecting rod bearing on the number 2 connecting rod. I have the lower end torn apart waiting for bearings on Tuesday morning. Hopefully the crank will be OK and I can just throw the bearings in and be good to go.

I will keep you all posted. Thank you for all of your input. AND, if anyone needs a CVT Transmission, let me know.
IIRC, way back in this forum there was a user with a 2005/2006 with some spun connecting rod bearing that was fighting with Ford. Maybe the thread can be found with a search?

Found it: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...0-miles-22393/

Last edited by wptski; 09-16-2013 at 05:56 AM.

Quick Reply: 2005 Escape Hybrid CVT Issue

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands