2005 FEH eCVT oil change

Old 06-12-2017, 09:55 PM
Enthusiast
Question 2005 FEH eCVT oil change

Hi everyone,

My 2005 FEH reached 140k miles and I would like to change the oil for the eCVT gearbox. I read many forum threads related to this topic so please do not try to argue that this is not neded because from my previous experiences this was always beneficial and I am decided to do it.

I found most of the items needed such the special oil and the filter but unfortunately i am missing where is located the oil filter for my FEH eCVT.

If there is some procedure for this purpose I will really appreciate if is possible to share it with me.

Kind regards,
Daniel

PS. Local Ford dealer was not able to give me a offer for this oil exchange but this is understandable since in my country there are no more than 30 FEH cars on the market.

Old 06-13-2017, 04:33 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2005 FEH eCVT oil change

I am not aware of any filter.

Service manual for 2009 ford escape Hybrid With eCVT aisin transmission
materials. Mercon LV XT 110 QLV, PTFE sealant

1. With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02.
2. Turn the ignition to the OFF position.
3. Remove the splash shield retainers and remove the LH splash shield.
4. NOTE: If an integral problem is suspected, drain the transmission fluid through a paper filter. A small amount of metal or friction particles may be found from normal wear. However, if excessive metal and friction particles are present, internal service will be required.
Remove the drain plug and drain the transmission fluid.
5.Remove the fill plug on the side of the transaxle.
NOTE: After the transmission fluid has been drained, clean the drain plug threads and apply a small amount of thread sealant to the threads.
Install the drain plug.
6.• Tighten to 40 Nm (30 lb-ft).
NOTICE: Use only clean transmission fluid specific for this transmission. Do not use any supplemental transmission fluid additives or cleaning agents. The use of these products can cause internal transmission components to fail, which will affect the operation of the transmission.
7.Fill the transaxle with clean transmission fluid as specified until the level reaches the bottom of the fill plug hole.
NOTE: Clean the area around the fill plug, removing transmission fluid that may have spilled on the transaxle case.
8.Install the fill plug. • Tighten to 40 Nm (30 lb-ft). Install the LH splash shield and the retainers.
Item
Specification
Motorcraft® MERCON® LV Automatic Transmission Fluid XT-10-QL

Old 06-13-2017, 01:49 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Rex,

And thank you for the quick reply. I have the 2005 FEH and to my knowledge a new generation FEH was released in 2007 or 2008 which may have some differences but I do not have any means to check.

It is a little strange because one US car parts seller here offered the oil and the filter, i am not sure what filter is that.

Here is what he offered:

ECVT oil Liqui Moly Top Tec ATF 1100 - I think he does not have available the original one mentioned by you.

Gearbox oil filter F3RZ-7A098-AA

I found on the internet some procedure for changing the ECVT oil which also does not contain any filter replacement. I am a little confused now related to the gearbox oil filter.

I am open to suggestions

Kind regards,
Daniel

Old 06-17-2017, 11:51 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

If you use an ECVT gear oil instead of a Ford Mercon LV ATF, you may have problems. There should be other posts here and around the internet explaining this issue. Any Ford distributor/dealer should have Mercon LV, it is a common ATF.

Old 06-17-2017, 01:03 PM
Enthusiast

Everything in post #2 by Rex B is correct with one exception, You need Mercon V for a 2005. Ford originally specified Mercon in early model ecvt and has since revised that to call for Mercon V in 2005-2008, and Mercon LV in 2009-2012. And there is no filter.
The revised fluid chart is here
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...ickref/atf.pdf
2005 FEH owners manual is here
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo.../05hevog2e.pdf

Old 06-18-2017, 01:54 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Vio,

Thank you for the tips and documents, I will ask my provider to deliver the exact specification as in the table.

Is it any other special that I should take care while changing the eCVT oil? I found a pdf file with instructions on the net that seems to be from the service manual.

Kind regards,
Daniel

Old 06-18-2017, 09:32 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

While chasing down a speed-related noise on my '09 FEH, I had the eCVT fluid changed. It was not a bad idea anyway since I bought it used and did not know the service history. The fluid change was done my my mechanic, and he mentioned no problems doing it. It does require a very large Allen key, or something like that.

The fluid change did not fix the noise, which turned out to be a bad wheel bearing. As long as the fluid change is done properly, I see no harm in doing it.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:20 PM
Enthusiast

It's a 10mm hex as I recall, I recommend a 3/8 or 1/2 drive as it takes a fair amount of force if it's been in there since the factory. I think you have all the information you need to do the job now. I also agree that the "lifetime fill" that Ford specifies is just not believable, in my opinion "lifetime" to Ford is the time span of their warranty as that's all they are responsible for and really don't care what happens after that.