Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   2005 FEH: Service Power Steering (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/2005-feh-service-power-steering-28898/)

neo_isaac22 06-15-2013 10:27 PM

2005 FEH: Service Power Steering

On my 2005 FEH with 85k miles on it I am facing Power Steering issues for more than a year. I noticed the first time my power steering went out and the steering became too rigid. I took it to my dealer and they found no issues or codes pop up and were no real help. I noticed something with the pattern in which the power steering goes out on my car and it happens almost exclusively on hot sunny days (say temp more than 75F+). Told this to my dealer but they brushed it off and gave no reason to why the issue keeps popping up.
Shortly we went into Fall/Winter and no Power steering issues at all during this time until we hit May here in Wisconsin. I notice on really warm days as soon as I get in my car the Power steering goes off within a minute of starting my car. I try switching the car off and back on but it comes back within a minute or two. On few cold days we still get I notice the power steering works fine with no issues. I am no expert at this but obviously some heat sensor comes to mind that makes the Power Steering module think its overheating so it shuts off. Has anybody ever faced this or has a good judgement of what could be wrong? I plan to take my car to the dealer next week and want them to really dig into what could be wrong and fix it. Luckily I still have 1.5 year more on the warranty the dealer gave me while purchasing the car from them.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Isaac

Billyk24 06-16-2013 04:52 AM

Re: 2005 FEH: Service Power Steering

The MECS pump might be the issue. Multiple threads on this. Get in the car, turn the key to "on" but not start, leave drivers car seat and go to the front of the vehicle and check if you can hear the pump working. No noise will likely mean this pump has become defective. You may want to tap the pump a few times to see if it will start again.