2005 vs. 2006 Programming

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 10:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default 2005 vs. 2006 Programming

Does anyone have any ideas as to whether the computer programming on the '06 is any different than on the '05? I have one of each, identical except for year, and the '06 seems to be better on gas and also seems to perform differently. I am hoping that there is a new program that can be flashed into the '05...

The '05 will stay in ICE mode longer than the '06 will and there are times when there is no reason for the gas engine to run that it will still be on. Some examples are coming off a highway offramp where my '06 is always off, the '05 will still be running. Coasting around corners in the neighborhood is another example.

I had been blaming the difference in mileage on my wife learning how to drive it but even when I drive it I notice a huge difference in behavior. If you look at the numbers in my signature, it looks like a small difference but the last few tanks (look in the database) tell a different story.

I am going to the dealership to ask a few questions but there is probably more experience on this board than at the dealer.

Thanks.

Ray

Old 09-06-2005, 02:14 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2005 vs. 2006 Programming

I know that there are at least 2 versions of the 05 software.

I was reflashed to a later version after my aux coolant pump failed. I received mine in late Nov. 04 so I probably had the earliest retail firmware. I didn't notice any major changes between the 2 versions, but I felt like the "new" software was a little more favored to the ICE.

Chris Brown

Old 09-06-2005, 03:08 PM

I am hoping that since the '05 and '06 are so similar that maybe the '06 has a better software version that will work in the '05. Once I get to the dealer I will make them find out. I bought both cars from them (of the 5 they had sold so far) so they should b willing to help me I hope. I have meticulous records on how the two perform so they can't say it is driving style etc.

We shall see....

Old 09-06-2005, 03:26 PM

I wonder if they made any 'silent' hardware upgrades, like increasing the max RPM of the small motor/generator? Something like that would pretty much slip in without any fanfare, but would affect the way it performs to some degree. Possibly other silent marginal upgrades including power electronics improvements in efficiency that get 'approved' as changes for the next model year but are so minor a change they don't make a big deal about it, except possibly just telling us that they generally improved it. That's the only other explanation I can think of other than a software change.

Old 09-06-2005, 03:37 PM

You may be right about the silent upgrades. If that is the case and the '06 is just a better performing vehicle as far as FE goes, then I can live with that. Good for them for making any improvement, however subtle - they worked. Hard to complain about the mileage I get with the '05 except when I look at what I get in the '06.

The two cars feel identical in performance and other than the color and the work stuff in mine, I couldn't tell them apart when driving. I'm still hoping that something can be programmed in to make the '05 think like an '06.

Old 09-17-2005, 11:11 PM
Early Adopter

Remember these vehicles have adaptive systems. If you or the wife drives one of your FEH more than the other, it will "learn" different performance behaviors.

Try swapping for a month and see if the mileage figures swap as well...

Old 09-18-2005, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by stevewa
Remember these vehicles have adaptive systems. If you or the wife drives one of your FEH more than the other, it will "learn" different performance behaviors.

Try swapping for a month and see if the mileage figures swap as well...
That's actually the intent behind having two of these things. Since I drive 20,000 miles or more a year and she does less than 5000, I figured I would swap back and forth to keep the miles even. This way I can keep it in warranty for a longer time and not run the miles up on one vehicle while the other sits most of the time.

I figure the swap will come in the next month or two so we'll see how it goes then.

By the way, I talked to the service adviser at the dealer and she told me there weren't any new programs available "that she knew of". She also told me that other than oil changes, they haven't had any in for service yet....good sign I guess.

Thanks