2006 FEH w/stop safely now

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 09:12 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2006 FEH w/stop safely now

Hi All,

I am in need of some advice. As you can see I have an '06 FEH that last week the Service Emissions light came on with the P0128 code. As per what I read here we swapped out the thermostat and thought everything was fine, I drove it for two days with no problems. On day three drove for 40 min approx 34 miles in light Los Angeles traffic in 80 degree weather and the then I got the triangle of doom light and the stop safely now and loss of power that goes along with it. We pulled over, let cool for about 1 hour and slowly drove home, keeping it under 40. Just before we got home we "pushed" the car and took it to 55 mph and immediately got the light and loss of power again. Pulled over, stopped the car again and let it cool for 10 min and made it home with no more warning light.

We came back here and did more research and discovered that it may be the relays or the MEC coolant pump. Took it to our regular mechanic, not a stealership, and they checked the relays, they were good, and they listened to the pump and it sounded like it was working. They could find no faults could not make the stop safely now warning come back even warm and at freeway speeds.

What it my next step? The mechanic wants me to drive it.

Thanks,
Rudy and Charlene

Last edited by Baldybasin; 01-06-2014 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Add name
Old 01-07-2014, 03:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 FEH w/stop safely now

A dirty MAF sensor can also trigger that warning and vehicle response. There is a TSB on it somewhere. You need to ensure your mechanic has a scanner capable of reading Ford's proprietary codes...not all are.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

Sure sounds like the MECS pump to me. It might have been working when they listened to it but off before.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Baldybasin
We came back here and did more research and discovered that it may be the relays or the MEC coolant pump.
Do you have a ScanGauge? Reading the motor electronics temperature (MeT) with the ScanGauge will tell you if the MECS pump is failing. A ScanGauge is almost essential for these vehicles.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:34 PM
Enthusiast

Hi my friend I`m having almost the same situation. I have a couple of questions for all of you guys: ¿will a scangauge pay it`s value for all who own this cars, I mean will it pull all codes? ¿those the yellow wrench and what it causes has conection with the stop safely now message? Thanks already for the answers.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

The scanguage can not pull some Ford codes that indicate problems. It will display many helpful hybrid related information.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:42 PM
Enthusiast

I bought my "Headache" when it was less than 2 years old, when gas prices were close to it's peak prices. (I found out later one of the previous owners kept it less than 20 days!!!) Less than 24 hours and 100 miles of driving, "Stop Safely Now" appeared, along with a dead engine! The selling dealer wanted $90.00 to look at it. It took months for my hometown dealer to try everything, without success. They could not get a Code to show up! Finally, after writing the NHTSB, my local dealer told me they should have offered to go back and verify a previous recall. A power cable under the 300V battery should have been replaced, records showed it had. At my expense, they "Should Have Offered" to verify. They pulled the battery, verified the cable HAD been replaced. The only other suggestion was to replace the cable again, which they did not have in stock. I told them to go ahead. After the mechanic had completed the installation, he took it on a test run with whatever instruments still in place. The Escape chose that time to Stop Safely Now and killed the engine. The mechanic was able to get a code and a very nice lady at Ford Headquarters OKed a new computer at 5:00 California time. I do not know the codes. I have been told that if i turned the key off, the code was lost. My recommendation is to use a scanner, stop safely, write the code down before you do anything else. For my computer problem, I had to stop, put it in Park, turn the key off. I could immediately start the engine and continue. One day, it did it twice on my driveway (1/4 mile). Other than that, there was no pattern. Might go 2 weeks, might go 3 months.
Hope this helps if anybody else still has this happening to them.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by mmtrainee
I bought my "Headache" when it was less than 2 years old, when gas prices were close to it's peak prices. (I found out later one of the previous owners kept it less than 20 days!!!) Less than 24 hours and 100 miles of driving, "Stop Safely Now" appeared, along with a dead engine! The selling dealer wanted $90.00 to look at it. It took months for my hometown dealer to try everything, without success. They could not get a Code to show up! Finally, after writing the NHTSB, my local dealer told me they should have offered to go back and verify a previous recall. A power cable under the 300V battery should have been replaced, records showed it had. At my expense, they "Should Have Offered" to verify. They pulled the battery, verified the cable HAD been replaced. The only other suggestion was to replace the cable again, which they did not have in stock. I told them to go ahead. After the mechanic had completed the installation, he took it on a test run with whatever instruments still in place. The Escape chose that time to Stop Safely Now and killed the engine. The mechanic was able to get a code and a very nice lady at Ford Headquarters OKed a new computer at 5:00 California time. I do not know the codes. I have been told that if i turned the key off, the code was lost. My recommendation is to use a scanner, stop safely, write the code down before you do anything else. For my computer problem, I had to stop, put it in Park, turn the key off. I could immediately start the engine and continue. One day, it did it twice on my driveway (1/4 mile). Other than that, there was no pattern. Might go 2 weeks, might go 3 months.
That really sounds more like the MECS pump. If it keeps happening, have them check that. There are DIY instructions for that here.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mmtrainee
Which computer did they replace? The one for the battery or engine or eCVT? Should say on the repair order. And this fixed the problem?

Old 05-23-2014, 12:55 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FjordHybrid
Which computer did they replace? The one for the battery or engine or eCVT? Should say on the repair order. And this fixed the problem?
Here is more background information: Production Date: 15 Dec 2005. Warranty Start Date: 30 May 2006. Vehicle License started 02 June 2006. Carfax ClaimRepair Date: 23 Nov 2007 @33500 . But they do not say what for... I purchased the car 30 Mar 2008 @37,692 miles.
It failed the next day. My local Ford dealer worked on it numerous times. 08/5/2009 @ 53,612 miles, I filed my claim with NHTSB.
08/27/2009 it went back to the local dealer with 54,308 miles. They had it for 3 days. My paperwork does not mention Any computer, I assume the warranty paperwork was done separate. But I can call and see what they will tell me.
YES, that seemed to solve the problem. I hit 99,004 miles last week. Honestly, it (Stop Safely Now) has occurred a few times in the 40,000+ miles but rarely. Of course now, the thermostat has died. Now that I have a scanner, I can see a code.

Quick Reply: 2006 FEH w/stop safely now

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands