2006 ford escape hybrid rear vibration

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 07:52 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2006 ford escape hybrid rear vibration

I just purchased a 2006 ford escape hybrid with 130,000 miles, I test drove it up to 55 MPH and it drove great.. After i bought it I got on the freeway and at 60 MPH or more it has a very noticable vibration seems to be from the back of the vehical. Just wondering if anyone has had this happen to theirs before I bring it in. Thanks

Old 12-19-2011, 09:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 ford escape hybrid rear vibration

F/awd..?

In which case rear driveshaft u-joints or a rear half-shaft CV joint(s).

At that mileage I would vote u-joints.

Last edited by wwest; 12-19-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:28 PM
Feral Engineer

Could be just tire balance. I'd check that first.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Enthusiast

It is a awd, The vibration seems faster than a tire out of balance more like a u joint that I have had on other vehicals but I will sure check the balance, I got under it and tried to move the joints seem to be tight although the left rear axcel seemed to move in and out some. Thanks Guys

Old 12-28-2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by fishbob
It is a awd, The vibration seems faster than a tire out of balance more like a u joint that I have had on other vehicles but I will sure check the balance, I got under it and tried to move the joints seem to be tight although the left rear axle seemed to move in and out some. Thanks Guys
At those speeds the rear drive clutch should NOT be engaged so that leaves us with U-joints. Unless the rear drive clutch has failed in some manner wherein the rear drive is continuously engaged, even slightly engaged. That could result in pretty severe vibration of so.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:15 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by wwest
At those speeds the rear drive clutch should NOT be engaged so that leaves us with U-joints. Unless the rear drive clutch has failed in some manner wherein the rear drive is continuously engaged, even slightly engaged. That could result in pretty severe vibration of so.
It can still engage if you accelerate but not at a constant speed unless it detects front wheel slippage.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:33 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, I changed the rear u joint and it helped some but especially when cold it is worse, The rear u joint was dry and I plan to change the rest and will post the result after.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by wptski
It can still engage if you accelerate but not at a constant speed unless it detects front wheel slippage.
It has long been my understanding that the rear drive clutch is NEVER engaged above 20-25MPH regardless of acceleration level.

And I'm quite sure that should wheelspin/slip occur at ANY speed/condition the INSTANT result will be TRAC activation, engine dethrottling and front (logically presumptive) braking so as to most quickly restore traction to those all important front drive & directional control wheels/tires.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:44 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by wwest
It has long been my understanding that the rear drive clutch is NEVER engaged above 20-25MPH regardless of acceleration level.

And I'm quite sure that should wheelspin/slip occur at ANY speed/condition the INSTANT result will be TRAC activation, engine dethrottling and front (logically presumptive) braking so as to most quickly restore traction to those all important front drive & directional control wheels/tires.
That's incorrect. This can be easily seen using a Scanguage-II. I've even seen a slight engagement while coasting down a long gradual grade.

The AdvanceTrac would detect side to side slippage but back to front would engage the 4WD.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by wptski
That's incorrect. This can be easily seen using a Scanguage-II. I've even seen a slight engagement while coasting down a long gradual grade.

Coasting downhill, or even simply coasting, I can understand. It's always a good idea to have as much of the engine compression braking as is possible applied at the rear rather than all at the front. Back in my days in MT, pre-ABS, on a slippery downhill I would slip the automatic transmission into neutral and then use e-brake judiciously to maintain a slower speed and help stabilize the vehicle laterally at the same time.

The AdvanceTrac would detect side to side slippage but back to front would engage the 4WD.

Yes, I agree, the way I read the shop manual along with TRACTION control activation as described the rear drive will be simultaneously engaged.

But keep in mind that this is always primarily, predominantly, a FWD vehicle. So if conditions are such that wheelspin/slip is likely to occur, it will almost ALWAYS present itself at the front first, initially. So yes, couple in the rear drive INSTANTLY, but the more important function is to return those front wheels/tires to a tractive wherein directional control is not threatened or can be asserted as/if needed.

Thus you will almost always encounter TRACTION control activation simultaneously.

The thing to keep in mind is that the rear drive is engaged at low speed, low speed acceleration, regardless of roadbed conditions. For the clear majority of us that would mean that most of the time, tractive roadbed, that action is not only needless it will also unduely stress the driveline. So why would Ford make matters ever worse by needlessly, even on a low traction surface, engaging the rear drive, even partially, above 20-25MPH.

Last edited by wwest; 12-29-2011 at 06:02 PM.

Quick Reply: 2006 ford escape hybrid rear vibration

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands