2006 Ford escape hybrid showing battery fan codes

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 09:01 PM
2006 4WD ESCAPE FEH 140k
Default 2006 Ford escape hybrid showing battery fan codes

Hello everyone… PLEASE HELP! I am desperate for some advice.
I have a 2006 Ford escape hybrid with 180,000 miles on it. My air-conditioning was recently getting warm in a recharge just didn't do the trick. I had the compressor replaced and now the air-conditioning is ice cold . Unfortunately as soon as I did that repair the truck does not go into EV mode anymore and I am constantly hearing the air-conditioning clicking and cycling even if the compress. Unfortunately as soon as I did that repair the truck does not go into EV mode anymore and I am constantly hearing the air-conditioning clicking and cycling even if the cabin air conditioning is off. I immediately started getting the stop safely now and red triangle and it was throwing codes that the two hybrid battery fans are not working. I am able to drive the truck in regular gas mode and not stall if I keep the air conditioning on Max AC.

Could this be a complete coincidence that this started right after the air conditioning compressor job was done? My mechanic is not convinced that doing the fans will solve the problem because he doesn't feel that the batteries are getting all that hot. Does anyone feel that the constant cycling of the new compressor will stop once the fans are replaced? Could the fans be triggering the compressor to continuously cycle? I am at the point that I'm not sure if I should put any more money into this truck. Can anyone help? If anyone has gone through the same thing I would be so grateful for any input. Money is tight and I don't want to spend money that won't be put to good use!

Last edited by Hybrid2006; 07-28-2016 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:51 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 Ford escape hybrid showing battery fan codes

I think diagnosing with a Ford hybrid technician would be money well spent in your case, at least you would reduce the risk of throwing expensive parts at a problem and hoping for a good result. Yes it's likely there are problems with your rear battery fans but there could be other problems also.
Would suggest not driving your car until fixed to avoid further damage to HV battery pack.

Last edited by D-mac; 07-30-2016 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:26 PM
2006 4WD ESCAPE FEH 140k

Thank you for the reply. Sound advice. I can't ignore that all of my problems started by getting the new air-conditioning compressor but it doesn't make a ton of sense that a new compressor is keeping it from going into hybrid mode. Even if the cabin air conditioning is off, it just never stops clicking. Does it make sense to you that if the fans aren't working it's constantly asking the compressor to turn on even if it's not hot out?

Old 08-01-2016, 08:25 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Maybe the A/C compressor was replaced with a unit that is incompatible or not responding correctly with the hybrid's control system. The new system could now be contaminated with all the recharging. The rear blend door could be broken. You could be hearing the radiator cooling fans and not the A/C compressor. The possibilities are many, I don't think you can just pinpoint a single cause at this time.
The rear HV battery and many of the other components have temp sensors that help protect the electronics and will help a hybrid tech figure out what's going on or if everything's ok. Good luck!

Old 08-02-2016, 11:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

Could it be something as simple as a failing under hood battery? They don't use it to start, only engage a relay and low voltage on that can make a lot of different sensors and computers very angry.

Old 09-26-2019, 11:40 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hybrid2006
Hello everyone… PLEASE HELP! I am desperate for some advice.
I have a 2006 Ford escape hybrid with 180,000 miles on it. My air-conditioning was recently getting warm in a recharge just didn't do the trick. I had the compressor replaced and now the air-conditioning is ice cold . Unfortunately as soon as I did that repair the truck does not go into EV mode anymore and I am constantly hearing the air-conditioning clicking and cycling even if the compress. Unfortunately as soon as I did that repair the truck does not go into EV mode anymore and I am constantly hearing the air-conditioning clicking and cycling even if the cabin air conditioning is off. I immediately started getting the stop safely now and red triangle and it was throwing codes that the two hybrid battery fans are not working. I am able to drive the truck in regular gas mode and not stall if I keep the air conditioning on Max AC.

Could this be a complete coincidence that this started right after the air conditioning compressor job was done? My mechanic is not convinced that doing the fans will solve the problem because he doesn't feel that the batteries are getting all that hot. Does anyone feel that the constant cycling of the new compressor will stop once the fans are replaced? Could the fans be triggering the compressor to continuously cycle? I am at the point that I'm not sure if I should put any more money into this truck. Can anyone help? If anyone has gone through the same thing I would be so grateful for any input. Money is tight and I don't want to spend money that won't be put to good use!
Overcharged ac. Pressure limiter stopping compressor?