2006 MMH new tires better MPG

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 09:14 AM
Imported from Detroit
Default Re: 2006 MMH new tires better MPG

Originally Posted by D-mac
You are correct. A properly damped vehicle (i.e. correctly valved and adjusted shocks/struts) will handle safely irrespective of tire condition. Pogo-bouncing is due to weak suspensions, not tires.
On a race track it is common practice to inflate tires to max rated sidewall psi to protect and preserve them under those conditions (and ensure consistent performance).
Do you drive on a smooth race track daily? I don't!

A while back they had to close a local interstate because of a pothole that disables twenty vehicles in one day!

Old 11-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Lt. Green 06 FEH

Originally Posted by wptski
Do you drive on a smooth race track daily? I don't!

A while back they had to close a local interstate because of a pothole that disables twenty vehicles in one day!

Yes, I drive a race-track daily. Plenty of speeders, tailgaters and generally bad drivers here in Phx AZ.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:36 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by grnhybrid
Yes, I drive a race-track daily. Plenty of speeders, tailgaters and generally bad drivers here in Phx AZ.
Get any snow, ice, salted roads or potholes?

I had the suggested 30psi in my FE. Raised it to 33psi for upcoming colder weather which hasn't come yet. Can't imagine 40psi on the roads I drive as I can feel the 3psi difference!

Old 11-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Maybe you should trade your ESCAPE for something "softer".
It's obvious it's not the right vehicle for you.

Last edited by gpsman1; 11-19-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:18 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Maybe you should trade your FEH for something "softer".
It's obvious it's not the right vehicle for you.
Check the upper right corner of my posts under Hybrid! Who wants to drive a pogo-stick riding on 40psi for the sake of even 10% better MPG?

Another site of many which contradicts suggestions here. It shows what a proper, under and over inflated tire looks like.

http://www.1010tires.com/tech.asp?ty...al#airpressure

Old 11-19-2009, 08:30 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Check the upper right corner of my posts under Hybrid! Who wants to drive a pogo-stick riding on 40psi for the sake of even 10% better MPG?

Another site of many which mirrors suggestions here. It shows what a proper, under and over inflated tire looks like.

http://www.1010tires.com/tech.asp?ty...al#airpressure
Thanks for sharing.

NOTE: the generalized drawings show an "over-inflated" tire has very nearly the same tread contact patch as a "moderately" inflated tire, and an "under-inflated" tire is the worst by all accounts.

I said that 10 psi will give you 10% better fuel economy.
This site quoted above says 8 psi will. I'd say that's close enough not to argue. The site lists the dangers of under-inflation, and lists none for inflating up to the max. sidewall pressure, which is what I do and recommend for best performance, safety, and MPG, if you are OK with a harsher ride.
It's a personal choice. There is nothing unsafe about keeping your tires in the 26 to 44 psi range. Any qualified expert will tell you the same.

If you don't own a hybrid, feel free to read these threads to gain valuable information and some good tips. Please refrain from posting untill you have some experience with the same. Thank You.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Thanks for sharing.

NOTE: the generalized drawings show an "over-inflated" tire has very nearly the same tread contact patch as a "moderately" inflated tire, and an "under-inflated" tire is the worst by all accounts.

I said that 10 psi will give you 10% better fuel economy.
This site quoted above says 8 psi will. I'd say that's close enough not to argue. The site lists the dangers of under-inflation, and lists none for inflating up to the max. sidewall pressure, which is what I do and recommend for best performance, safety, and MPG, if you are OK with a harsher ride.
It's a personal choice. There is nothing unsafe about keeping your tires in the 26 to 44 psi range. Any qualified expert will tell you the same.

If you don't own a hybrid, feel free to read these threads to gain valuable information and some good tips. Please refrain from posting untill you have some experience with the same. Thank You.
Funny, the thread contact from normal to over inflated looks much different to me!

Try the TireRacK for negative effects of over inflating.

I have had experience with over inflated tires and posted what hppened to me. I darn lost vehicle control!

Valuable information?? Post some links other than the Crown Vic article or a forum that suggests running MAX air pressure is correct/proper air pressure. If you can't back up your suggestions with facts, it's just plain incorrect.

There isn't a site that suggests MAX air pressure unless your have the MAX LOAD. Your neither qualified nor an expert and neither am I but I can go to most any site to read what, when, how, etc. to properly inflate tires.

Last edited by wptski; 11-19-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I wonder why the TPMS doesn't alert if FEH tires are inflated past 44psi?

I found where the NTHSA specifies that TPMS systems alert at pressures less than 25% of the recommended cold inflation or 20psi, whichever is higher. It must also alert with 10 minutes of detecting a low pressure event. They did not mention inflation over the recommended pressure in their final ruling.
(ref)

Old 11-19-2009, 08:24 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by MyPart
I wonder why the TPMS doesn't alert if FEH tires are inflated past 44psi?

I found where the NTHSA specifies that TPMS systems alert at pressures less than 25% of the recommended cold inflation or 20psi, whichever is higher. It must also alert with 10 minutes of detecting a low pressure event. They did not mention inflation over the recommended pressure in their final ruling.
(ref)
They probably thought that nobody would be dumb enough to over inflate tires but I guess they don't read posts in this forum!

Granted, under inflation is a more serious problem but your overlooking the possibilities of going over the suggested air pressure being a issue when it comes to road hazards. I've had it happen to me, so I know! You can forget using those cup holders at 40psi where I live!

Old 11-20-2009, 05:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

They probably thought that nobody would be dumb enough to over inflate tires but I guess they don't read posts in this forum!
Yea, because no one, like yourself and your Ranger, would ever get a tire that was "over inflated" by accident!?!

Try being a bit less crass in your responses... there is absolutly NO NEED for personal attacks.

Quick Reply: 2006 MMH new tires better MPG

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands