2006 - Stop Safely Now - Dealership says Coolant Fan Kit for HV Battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 08:45 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2006 - Stop Safely Now - Dealership says Coolant Fan Kit for HV Battery

I recently got the dreaded "Stop Safely Now" Message, and then continually got it in my 2006 FEH.

Got the car to the dealership and they are saying that is the "coolant fan kit for the hybrid battery." He said he was 100% sure that this was the issue and he had pulled codes to confirm.

He said the 2009 open recall on the "battery harness" (which I told him about) was expired.

They want $35 for the battery harness, and $288 for the fans (parts only) and then around $1,100 in labor.

I have done thorough research on these forums and have never seen any indication that the battery fans failing would cause the stop safely now to occur.

Question #1: Is anyone familiar with the battery fans causing the stop safely now message? Or could the cause just be my battery harness causing the stop safely now to occur and they are trying to get me to replace the fans as well?

Question #2: The dealer said the battery harness recall is expired. How is this possible? and how can I get them to honor it? Any ideas?

Any advice on how to proceed would be great.

Thanks,
Shawn

Last edited by chawnyo; 10-01-2015 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 - Stop Safely Now - Dealership says Coolant Fan Kit for HV Battery

Is your Hybrid warranty still in effect? IIRC from other threads on this topic, everything internal to the battery assembly, including the fans, is covered by the Hybrid warranty. Failing that, there is a DIY link here somewhere for the fan replacement.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:05 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 - Stop Safely Now - Dealership says Coolant Fan Kit for HV Battery

It isn't covered under the warrant unfortunately because I am at 150,000 miles.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:39 PM
Enthusiast

The dealer replaced my fans for about $1100 a year and a half ago on my 2006. Also had to get a new AC compressor. Apparently a working AC is needed to keep the battery cool as well as the fans.

No problems since, and am hoping the EV battery will go another few years (at 135k now).

Old 10-05-2015, 04:17 PM

The wiring harness issue did not result in a recall, rather it was a "customer satisfaction campaign." It is possible to change the harness on your own with the battery still in the vehicle. Search my old posts for a thread with pictures and description.

In fact, if you search you can find the procedure to also change the fans with the battery in place.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:07 PM
Enthusiast

I would bet your problem is not the fan kit. But if it is it is easy to replace the fans without removing the battery from the car. I can do this in less than an hour simply. I did it on my FEH but it was not the issue a waisted 280.00 dollars on parts. The blend door is very simple to replace in less than 15 minutes and this part is cheap under 30.00 on ebay. Anyone with close to 100k or more should think of changing the blend door. I feel there are many fan kits changed that are still good. I will post on my simular problem and the easy fix, I am also 100% certain my FEH is not the only one with this very simple problem which is easy to repair for less than ten dollars.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:14 PM

I had the blend door fail early with my FEH still under warranty. IIRC it caused a wrench light but did not display the "Stop Safely Now" Message that the OP is reporting. I don't think that's the problem and apparently the dealer didn't see that code.