2007 Escape Flex Fuel hybrid

Old 07-27-2015, 09:15 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2007 Escape Flex Fuel hybrid

Anyone ever saw a Escape Hybrid Flex Fuel?

I'm looking to buy an used Escape Hybrid. And I found one with Flex Fuel.
I was wondering if someone have any info about this model (Canada).

Same mechanic?

Wikipedia: "In 2007 Ford produced 20 demonstration Escape Hybrid E85s for real-world testing in fleets in the U.S."

Thanks

JF

Old 07-27-2015, 12:02 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 Escape Flex Fuel hybrid

Never heard of this until you pointed it out.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:44 PM

Kind of hard to believe a Ford engineering prototype (which were 2008 model year built in 2007) would end up sold to the public, usually a mfg doesn't want to take that liability.
Lots of people have run various ethanol blends in their 'regular' Escape hybrids, you can search back in forums like this for discussions.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:30 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by D-mac
Kind of hard to believe a Ford engineering prototype (which were 2008 model year built in 2007) would end up sold to the public, usually a mfg doesn't want to take that liability.
Lots of people have run various ethanol blends in their 'regular' Escape hybrids, you can search back in forums like this for discussions.
Actually, I believe Ford did give the 20 (maybe more) to the ethanol industry leaders who were, for all practical purposes members of the public who could resell them, I suppose. They were not really a "protoype" of anything as all Escapes out there are flex fuel compatible with a simple software setting. I am one who back in 2008 bought a $199 work around to "cheat" the on board software. E85 works in my 2005 FEH and I bought a "flex fuel" badge and glued it on my 2005 FEH.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

Ford actually had 2007 and 2008 FEH flex fuel vehicles on the road for testing but never for retail sale.
Name:  versasune85escapehybrid.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  17.8 KB

Name:  E85Escapehybridwithversasunlabel.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  41.7 KB

Name:  e85escapeatpump.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  23.4 KB

Name:  RFAE85EscaoeHbyridLargee-mailview.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  67.6 KB

Plus their "first fleet of PHEV FEH" were flex fuel capable:
Name:  FordEscapePHEV.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  15.5 KB

You need an add on E-85 kit to make the 2007 FEH run on E85 without the "light in the dash" coming on.
Disclaimer: I run E-85 and other mid-high level blends of ethanol in my 2005 FEH that now has 136,000 miles.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:16 PM

In order for a vehicle to be sold new in the US, the engine must have EPA certification, including E85 compatibility (FFV). From what I can see in EPA's database the Escape didn't become FFV until 2011 and the hybrid never got the FFV approval in the federal vehicle register. I don't see the PZEV approved in 2008 either, which makes one wonder if they're eligible for any Ford factory/warranty/recall support.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:35 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

In order for a vehicle to be sold new in the US, the engine must have EPA certification, including E85 compatibility (FFV). From what I can see in EPA's database the Escape didn't become FFV until 2011 and the hybrid never got the FFV approval in the federal vehicle register. I don't see the PZEV approved in 2008 either, which makes one wonder if they're eligible for any Ford factory/warranty/recall support.
PZEV = "Partial Zero Emission Vehicle" which only means zero evaporative emissions. It means you have an air tight gas cap and no under hood fuel evaporation. That's it. It has nothing to do with EV mode or being a hybrid. Every FEH sold is a PZEV. But it's really not a big deal now, as I think every car sold now is. Was a big deal 10-15 years ago. Is common practice now.

As for laws, it is a grey area. Laws state you may not alter the emissions in any way that increase emissions. Laws also state you may not use any unapproved fuel in your vehicle. The problem is lack of testing and data. For you to be cited for "breaking a law" the government would have to prove adding ethanol to your tank makes your car increase harmful emissions. To defend yourself, you could prove it doesn't. Since neither side is willing to do expensive scientific testing, there will probably never be a prosecution of someone putting ethanol in a non FFV. Especially now since ethanol is becoming more prevalent and more widely accepted as harmless, if not necessarrily "better" than gasoline.

Watch the 2014 documentary "Pump", available for $3 digital download. It will be worth 90 minutes of your time. It explains a lot.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

All of the photos posted were Ford vehicles (but not a retail version) sent out into the real world for "fleet testing". There may have been 20 of the first generation software (model year 2007-2008) with many in the Missouri-Iowa-Dakota's region. There was another 20 new PHEV 2009 models (again not retail versions) sent out to the power companies in California, the rest of the USA and at least one to Canada. Note PHEV is different from PZEV. It is likely the 2018/19 Escape will feature a PHEV version due to the government mandate of boosting MPG figures.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Billyk24
It is likely the 2018/19 Escape will feature a PHEV version due to the government mandate of boosting MPG figures.
I doubt there will be any hybrid or PHEV Escape for years, Ford has an EcoSport compact SUV that is about Jeep Renegade size ready to go that will get better MPG. With the other 'hybrid' features (idle shutoff/electric steering and A/C, etc) plus direct injection and Ecoboost, the current Escapes will probably do OK for Ford's MPG.

Interestingly the new Toyota Rav4 hybrid and current Crosstrek XV hybrids are cheaper than the Escape hybrid was, especially counting for inflation. Maybe if the new Rav4 hybrid sells well, Ford will be motivated to compete.
The PHEV SUVs coming out now seem to be offered at a much higher/luxury price point. Not sure Ford could sell many PHEV Escapes for Explorer money when gas is less than $2 a gallon in most of the country.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Not so fast.

Report: Dedicated Ford Hybrid Expected by 2018

http://thenewswheel.com/report-dedicated-ford-hybrid/

http://insideevs.com/compact-ford-pl...platform-2018/

Ford also plans to add 13 new plug-in hybrid, hybrid or electric vehicles to its lineup by 2020, moving to more than 40 percent the share of the company's vehicle lines that will be electrified.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ford-i...215521377.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 Escape Flex Fuel hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands