2007 FEH Factory/Dealer Alarm actuates for no reason

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 09:01 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2007 FEH Factory/Dealer Alarm actuates for no reason

2007 FEH with 85K+ miles and no major issues until recently. Over the last 6 months, without any visible reason, the factory/dealer alarm (the one actuated by the key fob) has been going off by itself. At first it was just on weekends and I thought maybe it is one of the UPS or FedEx trucks doing 60 miles an hour on a residential street. So to test the motion detector, I grabbed the luggage rack and shook the heck out of my FEH. Nothing.

Now that I am working from home (mid December) the alarm is going off during the middle of the day as well without provocation. No one has tried to break in, no one has tried to pry open the gas door or the hood. The alarm never went off by itself when I was working out of the office.

Before I take it to the dealer, could it be that someone in the neighborhood has the same frequency as my key fob and is setting it off? I find it interesting that one of my neighbors has a new tenant (about 8 mos ago) that has two vehicles - one older Thunderbird and an older Volvo (when they were still a Ford product). Or did I suddenly acquire some sort of short? The standard battery was replaced 7/13/13 if that makes any difference. Thanks for any input.

Follow-up:
Checked the threads on the Perimeter Alarm. No one else has experienced the same issue it seems. So I will be visiting local Ford Dealer for suggestion.
All the functions of the key fob work as expected. I have noticed that sometimes it takes a couple of presses to get the doors to lock (parking lights flash) much less to get the horn 'confirmation'. Maybe the battery in the remote needs to be replaced. So I'll try that as well.
It did go off again this morning, so I'll just keep my keys on me until I have a chance to sort it out.

Last edited by slowkarter; 02-04-2014 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Follow-Up
Old 02-06-2014, 05:00 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 FEH Factory/Dealer Alarm actuates for no reason

Yes - it activated again today and my FEH was in the driveway...no where near rushing cars or wayward cyclists or mischievous middle-schoolers. So I took it by Ford yesterday and they only suggested replacing the battery in the key fob. I went to Lowes found the CR2032 2 pack and left $6 and change lighter. The dealership is in the same shopping center so once again I stopped by and this time the service tech laughed and said "who told you to replace the battery?". When I pointed to the empty counter next to his, he politely suggested I bring my FEH into service for diagnostics.
He mentioned something about checking the "electronics module" as it may be going bad. That started panic bells ringing in my head. An EV has a myriad of electronics and I don't want to spend hard earned cash paying for a computer I will never be able to play video games on (just kidding, but you get my point).
Anyone have any idea what EM might also affect the perimeter alarm? I would like to know what I am getting myself into.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:32 PM
Enthusiast

Maybe bad door button switch witch shows that the doors are open or closed? Google it.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:46 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Pacanas13 - I will googlize before reverting to the dealer.