2007 Ford Escape Hybrid and non-Hybrid Engine differences

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 04:42 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid and non-Hybrid Engine differences

Does anyone know what the differences in a 2.3L engine in a 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid versus one in a non-Hybrid are? I understand that there is a difference in the timing. I'm not sure if the cams are completely different or just the gears. I would also like to know if there are any other differences. Basically, I want to know what I have to do to a 2.3L non-Hybrid engine so it can be used in a Hybrid?

Old 02-24-2014, 04:46 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid and non-Hybrid Engine differences

Why are you looking at using a non-hybrid motor to be used in a hybrid vehicle?

Old 02-24-2014, 04:52 PM
Enthusiast

They are much less expensive and more available.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by MrFixit1328
Does anyone know what the differences in a 2.3L engine in a 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid versus one in a non-Hybrid are? I understand that there is a difference in the timing. I'm not sure if the cams are completely different or just the gears. I would also like to know if there are any other differences. Basically, I want to know what I have to do to a 2.3L non-Hybrid engine so it can be used in a Hybrid?
Different camshafts, compression ratios (pistons), starting systems etc. The block maybe the same.

Gary

Old 02-24-2014, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Crank, rods, pistons, camshafts are a given. The ECU, fuel injectors, starter (hybrid doesn't have a conventional one) and cylinder head are the other likely possible differences as well.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:05 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The e-CVT is also a big difference between a hybrid and non-hybrid. You'd probably have to ditch that transmission if you wanted to de-hybrid a FEH.

There have have been people on this site who claimed to have rebuilt the engines of FEHs (even with junkyard hybrid motors). But these days I bet not that many people are going to want to sink that kind of money in to a 8+ year old Escape.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:25 AM
Enthusiast

I'm not trying to de-hybrid my FEH. I need to either replace the motor or rebuild the one I have. I have been told that it is less expensive to get a used engine. I have not had any luck finding a replacement. If the differences were minimal, I would have bought a used used non-hybrid motor, used the good parts off my old motor and bought anything else that I needed.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrFixit1328
I need to either replace the motor or rebuild the one I have.
Just curious about your original engine. How many miles are on it and how did it fail?

Old 02-27-2014, 10:21 AM
Enthusiast

Just under 142000 miles. Spun a bearing and intake cam has one worn lobe. Oil level was perfect 1-1/2 weeks before the bearing spun. After it happened I checked the level and it was down 3-1/2 quarts. Signs of oil where the engine bolts up to the transmission.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
Crank, rods, pistons, camshafts are a given. The ECU, fuel injectors, starter (hybrid doesn't have a conventional one) and cylinder head are the other likely possible differences as well.

Originally Posted by GaryG
Different camshafts, compression ratios (pistons), starting systems etc. The block maybe the same.

Gary

So you're saying there's a chance?

Quick Reply: 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid and non-Hybrid Engine differences

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands