2007 MMH Cross bars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 08:15 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2007 MMH Cross bars?

Hi Everyone,

I just picked up my 2007 MMH, and wanted to purchase some cross bars. (Yeah, cheesy that they weren't included, but oh well.) I've seen some available for the 2005/2006 Escapes, but I've read some of you mention that the roof racks look different for the 2007 model, more "like the Mariner." This leads me to believe maybe the 2005/2006 Escape cross-bars wouldn't work.

I could just go back to the dealer and ask them to order some, but was trying to save a buck if I could. Anyone have any info?

TIA!

Kim

Old 10-20-2006, 04:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 MMH Cross bars?

The 2005/2006 FE crossbars will not work on 2007 FE, nor on any MM. The roof racks themselves are quite different.

I am not sure, but the MT roof rack and crossbars look mighty similar to the MM roof rack and crossbars.

If someone could come up a verified part number for the cross bars, there are many on-line places which sell Ford parts and accessories at a discount.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:04 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: 2007 MMH Cross bars?

My neighbor up the street has a 2007 FEH and I noticed the "roof rails" that run the length of the roof rather than the factory cross bars that came on my 06. Many of the SUV manufacturers are going to this system and I believe the FreeStyle and the Explorers now come with rails (the Escape is just catching up to Ford's decision) rather than full crossbar racks.

Since I prefer aftermarket racks for their quality and adaptability....the rails provide a convenient way to install aftermarket crossbars. Yakima makes product(s) called the LowRider and EZRider [ http://www.yakima.com/ProductCategory.aspx?id=22 ] that are designed to attach their (small, round) crossbar to the factory roof rails. Once you have their crossbars in place - any of their racks or carriers (for bikes, skis, kayaks, etc.) can be installed. [I'm sure its the same for Thule]
IMHO, If you really plan to use your roof rack, I would check out an aftermarket product before paying the $$ for an OEM crossbar system with limited options.

Old 10-20-2006, 07:50 AM
Enthusiast

IMHO, If you really plan to use your roof rack, I would check out an aftermarket product before paying the $ for an OEM crossbar system with limited options.
Thanks, I'll do that. I do plan to use the roof racks, and was possibly going to use them fairly soon for use with a cargo bag. Not sure I want the added height, tho', so may choose another option. Mostly, I plan to have them available for hauling skis for trips to the mountain, but it sure would be nice to have that flexibility. I have Yakima ski racks on my Explorer that connect directly to the OEM crossbars. (FWIW, Yakima also makes Universal Mighty Mounts to use with your OEM crossbars, so you can install other toys, too.)

Any opinion on using the Yakima roof top cargo boxes? Would they make the vehicle too tall for good sense?

Thanks ~

Old 10-20-2006, 10:53 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: 2007 MMH Cross bars?

Kim -

You are right, the more I drive around the more I run into parking garages with height restrictions - added height is to be considered.

Mighty Mounts - I have them for my Acura crossbars and, while they work as designed, I can never seem to get them "secure" enough. (Too much slop - the Acura cross bars are extremely wide and thin).

Cargo Boxes - I think most if not all the Yakima boxes are a good idea and I have seen a lot of them on MMs and Escapes. On the other hand, large cargo (duffle) bags I have carried on my Acura have had large negative affects on FE. Back East its nice to carry skis inside a Box rather than outside in nasty weather, salted roads, etc. on the way to the hill. When I lived out West I didn't have that problem.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by glennb
You are right, the more I drive around the more I run into parking garages with height restrictions - added height is to be considered.
The antenna of my MMH hits one of the height warning things in the parking garage at work.

Though, my Jeep never had such a problem, and it had the factory lift (UpCountry).

This all makes me remember that current insurance commercial on TV where, amongst things, a car drives straight into the garage with bikes still on the roof!

Old 10-20-2006, 01:06 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by glennb
Kim -

Actually, I was thinking more of the tip-factor. I can feel it lean in curves more than the Explorer, and I believe the safety ratings aren't so good for the FEH/MMH. I travel with dogs, and rear access is a must, so a cargo box in the back is out. I can squeeze us in the vehicle, but would love to use a carrier if it's not a hazard.

Mighty Mounts - I have them for my Acura crossbars and, while they work as designed, I can never seem to get them "secure" enough. (Too much slop - the Acura cross bars are extremely wide and thin).
The ones on my Explorer work great - but they're only for the ski racks.

Cargo Boxes - I think most if not all the Yakima boxes are a good idea and I have seen a lot of them on MMs and Escapes. On the other hand, large cargo (duffle) bags I have carried on my Acura have had large negative affects on FE. Back East its nice to carry skis inside a Box rather than outside in nasty weather, salted roads, etc. on the way to the hill. When I lived out West I didn't have that problem.
Yeah, not a real problem here in the Southwest - except maybe a trip to Mammoth, but that's minor. I have the cargo bag I *could* use but it's not as nice as the box. Of course, I'm going to spot all sorts of *toys* for the new vehicle!

Thanks for the input, Glenn!

Kim

Old 10-20-2006, 04:17 PM
Enthusiast

You can get a swing out box to mount on a hitch like the ones here http://www.prolineracks.com/stowaway.html

If you are planning on a permanent roof rack you are going to kill your fuel economy.

Old 10-20-2006, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by K9joyride
Actually, I was thinking more of the tip-factor. I can feel it lean in curves more than the Explorer, and I believe the safety ratings aren't so good for the FEH/MMH. I travel with dogs, and rear access is a must, so a cargo box in the back is out. I can squeeze us in the vehicle, but would love to use a carrier if it's not a hazard.
I think you have the right idea keeping things off the roof if possible, making the vehicle top heavy isn't good. However the safety ratings I saw were actually fairly decent, and remember most of them are for the standard Escape. The Hybrid has an pretty heavy extra weight pretty low (the battery) so its likely a bit better than the standard Escape.

That being said.... I'm not putting anything heavy on the roof, and I got the side curtain air bags as well.

Old 10-20-2006, 07:35 PM
Enthusiast

I'll weigh in here. I'm just getting comfortable with my 2007 FEH, at about 1400 miles. I, too, was disappointed when I realized I was getting no crossbars.

I checked the Yakima site referenced above. The "choose my rack" option has no 2007 FE/FEH option.

I've had a canoe for about three years, and it hasn't been removed from the hooks on the ceiling of my garage for more than year. :-) One of the reasons I got the FEH was to get that canoe back in the Chattahoochee River. I just have to get the right racking.

And maybe I'll get my bike out of the garage more often, too.

Quick Reply: 2007 MMH Cross bars?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands