2008 Escape or 2008 Mariner - pros and cons?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2008 Escape or 2008 Mariner - pros and cons?

I'm on the fence about which hybrid SUV I'm going to buy - Mariner or Escape. I know that the technology, hybrid system, drivetrain and platform are identical. But how about their other aspects? I've read the reviews and they seem more positive for the Mariner. I purchased a used 2000 Honda Insight on eBay in 2001 and since have never gone back to ICE-only cars. I'm currently a very happy owner of a 2005 Toyota Prius (bought new) and I recently purchased a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid for my girlfriend. But I've found that I need more cargo room than the Prius offers, hence my choice to buy a hybrid SUV. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Last edited by tcjohnsson; 07-10-2007 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:31 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 Escape or 2008 Mariner - pros and cons?

I too had this choice to make went with the FEH AWD stock with Slate paint.

It was less money than the Mariner and I did not need the extras that came with the Mariner.

We have had about a week. Great suv.

Last edited by Nward; 07-10-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Enthusiast

We chose the Mariner strictly on looks--we liked the softer front end, and the clear rear tail lights.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I chose a FEH, mainly on avaibilty at the time I was ready to buy "now", and I liked the grill better than a Mariner. Honestly I never looked at a MMH before buying tho (other than online). [Does an 08 MMH look different than eariler years?]

I made a post here recently about the differences, they seem very minor. [ Older Post ]What I can recall at this time w/o re-reading is MMH has Keyless keypad, different interrior color, lumbar seats. The package options/upgrades are also different, FEH can add things incremently, like Leather, premiem upgrade w/o being forced into all options at once. If you're going all out then that's not an issue, but I wasn't paying $2k for a GPS I'll never use, my FED won't go more than 50 miles from home. On the other hand the MMH can have the moonroof w/o sirius (again something I won't use).

Last edited by 08hybridok; 07-11-2007 at 12:53 AM.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

In my case I considered the what if scenario of having car trouble on a trip far from home. Did I want to try and find a Ford dealer or a Mercury dealer?

Old 07-11-2007, 06:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

We bought an '07 FEH as it was a left over and they had an AWD with all the options in state. We also wanted to take advantage of the 0% incentive that was offered at the time. We prefer the looks of the '07 FEH over the '08 FEH.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:50 AM
N/A

For those considering this decision, please know that Mercury products are supported throughout North America by Ford dealers, as well as any standalone Lincoln-Mercury dealers. Ford dealers will honor the warranty and will also support Ford extended warranty claims.

One nice thing about owning any Ford product, especially for those in rural areas, is that you can get service nearly anywhere.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

Tim-
I, like Bryan, pretty much went for what was available, and I was the current owner of an Escape and loved it, so stuck with the brand. Also, I'm kind of a truck girl (dream vehicle is a new style F-150 king cab Harley edition *SIGH*) and I liked the slightly more rugged looks of the FEH. I think it depends on what you want--a truck or an SUV. That might not sound like it makes any sense, but it seems to me that the FEH is seen as more aggressive and able to do "truck" things, while the MMH, though just as capable, evokes an image of a luxury SUV (a la the Navigator, etc.).
One thing I would suggest would be to go with 2WD; the mileage really is amazing, and I don't miss my 4WD (of course, it hasn't started snowing yet [amazingly] so we'll have to see once winter arrives; based on these threads, it won't matter much unless my city decides to stop plowing).

Old 07-11-2007, 07:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mtberman
For those considering this decision, please know that Mercury products are supported throughout North America by Ford dealers, as well as any standalone Lincoln-Mercury dealers. Ford dealers will honor the warranty and will also support Ford extended warranty claims.

One nice thing about owning any Ford product, especially for those in rural areas, is that you can get service nearly anywhere.

Hey that is good to know. I assumed that such things were not allowed. I am assuming I can take my ford to a Mercury or a Lincoln dealer if I am on the side of the road?

Cris

Old 07-11-2007, 07:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by queenfan
(dream vehicle is a new style F-150 king cab Harley edition *SIGH*)
You might get a kick out of this "OCC Edition" truck I recently stocked in where I work:

http://www.auctiondirectusa.com/preo...EC19T44Z201644

I am a very long time (I built my first HD in 1970) Harley builder/customizer/hot-rod engine builder.

~John

Quick Reply: 2008 Escape or 2008 Mariner - pros and cons?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands