2008 FEH Key Shell Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 12:47 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default 2008 FEH Key Shell Replacement

Hey all. I just picked up an 08 FEH (Kiwi Green / Stone Cloth) with 72k miles and want to ping you all with a question, and make some comments.

First, love the car, the handling, the colors, the MILEAGE.

I've detailed it and gotten to know its 'used car' issues. Sounds like it has the usual vent door actuator problem in the lower right part of the dash from what I can hear. Figure it's the passenger side actuator and I'll do a search to verify how to replace/repair later.

The real question is what can I do about the remote key buttons being worn off completely? I know there are ebay sellers like this one selling shells and new buttons (the window latch release button is wrong without the "x2" writing, but I can live with that):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170846885255...S:1123&vxp=mtr

I looked at the existing keys I have and I can't figure out how the entire shell comes apart. I can get the battery side off but it appears the side with the key and the board are all one piece and I see no way to pry it apart. Since I can't get it apart, what's the point of buying the ebay shell if I can't get the board out of the original? Anyone have any knowledge on this? Is my only option to buy new key blank fobs with the boards and get the keys cut and fobs programmed?

EDIT: I see now where the key shell replacement on ebay has the key on the opposite side of fob, not like the original.

Last edited by 84GT Ragtop; 07-24-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:40 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 FEH Key Shell Replacement

I thought I'd get at least one reply here, but it's likely a rare problem. I did some more research on replacing the key fob buttons and couldn't find any cheap options since I can't figure out how to disassemble the old key to put new button rubber in the old key fob.

So I did the next best thing and bought a new uncut Ford key off ebay and will program it myself since I have both original keys (steps only work if you have 2 keys) using the steps I found online, and that I've outlined below. I'll edit the post once I know if the steps work/don't work.

1. Insert the first Ford programmed key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the key from the OFF position to the ON position (maintain the key in the ON position for a minimum of 3 seconds and less than 10 seconds).

2. Turn the key to the OFF position and remove the first key from the ignition lock cylinder.

3. Within 5 seconds of turning the key to the OFF position, insert the second programmed key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the key from the OFF position to the ON position (maintain the key in the ON position for a minimum of 3 seconds and less than 10 seconds).

4. Turn the key to the OFF position and remove the key from the ignition lock cylinder.

5. Within 10 seconds of turning the key to the OFF position, insert the unprogrammed key (the new key) into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the key from the OFF position to the ON position (maintain the key in the ON position for a minimum of 3 seconds and less than 10 seconds).

6. If it is desired to program additional key(s) (only up to 8 keys total can be programmed into the IC), repeat Steps 1-5 for each additional key that needs to be programmed.

7. Start the vehicle with the new key(s).

Old 08-10-2012, 06:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

Dont know if this helps but 2007 uses a seperate key fob which i beleive is user programmable. It supposedly works with the exterior keypad, so if you have that perhaps it will work with your 08

Old 08-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

Unfortunately I don't have the exterior keypad, and I'm concerned about whether anyone else with the same style 4-button key has been able to figure out how to completely disassemble the key to replace the worn rubber buttons. Seems like it should be a pretty simple thing to do, but maybe Ford made it impossible in order to make more money off complete replacements.

Last edited by 84GT Ragtop; 08-10-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Update to wrap up the thread. I was able to buy a new Ford 4-button uncut smart key from ebay for less than $50 and the dealer was kind enough to cut it for me for free. Once the key was cut it was easy to follow the instructions to I posted earlier to program it (only because I already had 2 working keys -- otherwise you'd need to visit the dealer to have it programmed).