2008 FEH totaled, need help with replacement

Old 10-28-2016, 03:31 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2008 FEH totaled, need help with replacement

This forum has been invaluable through the years, and has saved me significant money. Thank you.

Unfortunately my dependable Escape was lost in a chain reaction collision and with only 114K miles.

I have the opportunity to buy a gov't fleet 2008 FEH replacement that has been meticulously maintained (with records), but it is only a base model. I will ensure it has the usuals replaced (MCES, door actuator, etc), but it will have the loose front end (mine was needing help soon), and fixing myself is probably not in my wheelhouse (I'm a brakes and rear shocks kind of guy), so how much money ballpark will it cost to fix the front end issues?

I love the 08-12(?) body style, but should I look at a 09 or higher? I read there may be fewer issues with the newer model, but not sure!

I read the ecoboost engine was partly to blame for discontinuation of the hybrids; due to excellent performance and mileage relative to a comparable gas engine. Would it be worth upgrading to a even newer ecoboost escape (I know, not the correct forum, but looking for help).

And lastly, the escape is my perfect urban assault/weekend warrior vehicle, and perhaps it was the perfect compact SUV for my lengthy torso, as the headroom is marvelous for such a compact SUV. Every other crossover I've had to recline the front seats so far back I might as well bought a wagon or car. Are there any used 07-12 (or so) compact SUVs with comparable headroom? It really is a deal breaker for me. I know you will say go test drive some, but I haven't the time at the moment and hope someone could point me to some possibilities.

Thank you

Old 10-29-2016, 11:22 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 FEH totaled, need help with replacement

Sorry about your loss. I have a 2009. I've not had any trouble with it, so I guess from my experience, I'd rather than a 09 than an 08. Does your 08 have sync? I thought it came out in the 09, but maybe I'm wrong. That's worth a lot to me. The touch screen is nothing to write home about, but the Bluetooth audio is really quite good and holds connections to you phone. I never have dropped audio. I listen to lots of podcasts and the sync makes it MUCH more enjoyable. So if it were my money, I'd be looking at an 09 or new Escape.

I can't speak directly about Ecoboost directly, but I'm not sold on Ecoboost. You talk about "only" 114K miles on your Escape, and I've wondered how well Ecoboost, with a turbo installed, will hold up in high mileage scenarios. Also, the new Escape seems a bit smaller to me. I'm a big guy and the 09 is about as small as I would want. My Ford dealer had a test drive for school promotion the other day and I test drove an Edge. If I were looking at ecoboost, with my size, I'd be looking at one of those, I think.

Good Luck!

John

Old 10-29-2016, 04:21 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chaunceyjb
Sorry about your loss. I have a 2009. I've not had any trouble with it, so I guess from my experience, I'd rather than a 09 than an 08. Does your 08 have sync? I thought it came out in the 09, but maybe I'm wrong. That's worth a lot to me. The touch screen is nothing to write home about, but the Bluetooth audio is really quite good and holds connections to you phone. I never have dropped audio. I listen to lots of podcasts and the sync makes it MUCH more enjoyable. So if it were my money, I'd be looking at an 09 or new Escape.

I can't speak directly about Ecoboost directly, but I'm not sold on Ecoboost. You talk about "only" 114K miles on your Escape, and I've wondered how well Ecoboost, with a turbo installed, will hold up in high mileage scenarios. Also, the new Escape seems a bit smaller to me. I'm a big guy and the 09 is about as small as I would want. My Ford dealer had a test drive for school promotion the other day and I test drove an Edge. If I were looking at ecoboost, with my size, I'd be looking at one of those, I think.

Good Luck!

John
Unfortunately, the 08 doesn't include sync. My plan was to install aftermarket Bluetooth system. I'm not sure how much that will cost. I'm 6'3", and I agree the new escapes are smaller just like any new crossover, so those are out.

Good point about the ecoboost. I wonder if there are any 300k+ miles ecoboosts out there.

I looked at a 2008 with almost 400k miles, in great mechanical shape!

Old 11-03-2016, 03:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

The best year for the FEH is said to be 2009 - Best fuel economy, Sync etc.
2nd choice is anything later - 2010-2012
3rd Choice is the 2008 - Older software, no Sync

I have a 2008. If mine got totaled, I'd be looking for a loaded 2009-2012 with low miles and perfect condition.

As for the EcoBoost, I think losing durability is the biggest drawback. The FEH and other Atkinson Cycle hybrids have a major advantage if you want your vehicle to run for a decade or so. Heck, even the brake pads last forever. Other than cosmetic issues and front suspension, these things are almost bulletproof. Anything with a conventional drivetrain brings the old conventional lifespan and depreciation.