2008 FEH towing capacity

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default 2008 FEH towing capacity

Hi all,

I'm new here so please excuse me if I seem a little ignorant. I very recently purchased a pre-owned 2008 FEH.

I do a lot of camping and spend a lot of time outdoors and was curious what the towing capacity of the FEH is. I am contemplating purchasing a small tent trailer but need to make sure that i'm able to tow it.

If anyone has some input on this it'd be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Default Re: 2008 FEH towing capacity

The max rated tow cap. is 1,000 pounds.

GaryG

Old 08-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

What is the weight of your tent camper? That said, there have been individuals who have exceeded the max rated capacity without major issue(s). A search might reveal exactly what these individuals (who have towed) feel is "doable".

Old 08-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by Billyk
What is the weight of your tent camper? That said, there have been individuals who have exceeded the max rated capacity without major issue(s). A search might reveal exactly what these individuals (who have towed) feel is "doable".
Why would anybody in their right mind exceed the manufacturer's suggested towing capacity??? That plain and simple, stupid!!

Old 08-14-2010, 11:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

Unloaded vehicle weight (lbs.)1,385 Approx. hitch weight (lbs.)185 Gross vehicle weight rating (lbs.)2,250 Cargo carrying capacity (lbs.)865

Old 08-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Talking Re: 2008 FEH towing capacity

Ford says with 1,000 pounds in tow, you can basically go any legal speed limit, for any length of miles. HOWEVER... if you are willing to slow down, you can safely tow more.

2,000 pounds and your max. speed on flat ground should be 65 MPH, and significantly slower on hills.

3,000 pounds in tow and your max. speed should be 55 MPH on flat ground, and significantly slower on hills.

Basically, in mine, I can run at 4,000 RPM all day long and nothing starts to get hotter than typical. Sustained 4,500 RPM and both the engine and motors rise in temperature by 20 degrees water temp, and 50 degrees (F) electric motor temp. Sill OK, but why push it?

I would not recommend sustaining greater than 4,500 RPM for longer than a couple of minutes at a time.

I have towed 2400 pounds and it's pretty much a piece of cake.
I have towed 3200 pounds at it was a struggle to go faster than 55 MPH.
Of course my trailer is 9 feet tall and has lots of wind drag.
I feel 3200 pounds is too much, but 2400-2500 totally acceptible.

While Ford advertises 1000 pounds of towing, that is way conservative.
They also advertise the FEH as a "No Compromise SUV" and I take them at their word. The V6 FEH can tow 3500 pounds, and the FEH is often compared to the V6 with about 30 fewer horsepower.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Ford says with 1,000 pounds in tow, you can basically go any legal speed limit, for any length of miles. HOWEVER... if you are willing to slow down, you can safely tow more.

2,000 pounds and your max. speed on flat ground should be 65 MPH, and significantly slower on hills.

3,000 pounds in tow and your max. speed should be 55 MPH on flat ground, and significantly slower on hills.

Basically, in mine, I can run at 4,000 RPM all day long and nothing starts to get hotter than typical. Sustained 4,500 RPM and both the engine and motors rise in temperature by 20 degrees water temp, and 50 degrees (F) electric motor temp. Sill OK, but why push it?

I would not recommend sustaining greater than 4,500 RPM for longer than a couple of minutes at a time.

I have towed 2400 pounds and it's pretty much a piece of cake.
I have towed 3200 pounds at it was a struggle to go faster than 55 MPH.
Of course my trailer is 9 feet tall and has lots of wind drag.
I feel 3200 pounds is too much, but 2400-2500 totally acceptible.

While Ford advertises 1000 pounds of towing, that is way conservative.
They also advertise the FEH as a "No Compromise SUV" and I take them at their word. The V6 FEH can tow 3500 pounds, and the FEH is often compared to the V6 with about 30 fewer horsepower.
Pure speculation on your part. If the vehicle is out of warranty, do what you please, it yours to wreck but if it isn't go by the owner's manual.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:36 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Talking Re: 2008 FEH towing capacity

Originally Posted by wptski
Pure speculation on your part. If the vehicle is out of warranty, do what you please, it yours to wreck but if it isn't go by the owner's manual.
You are WRONG! Field tested with over 10,000 miles towing that 3200 pounds gross high-sided box trailer! Over the Rocky Mountains of Interstate 70 as well!!! Please refrain from posting about what you know not.

( Shhhh.... I'll tell you a little secret... Ford test drove the first generation FEH on a test track with a 3,000 pound trailer with a 4x8 foot (or maybe 8x8 foot) vertical plywood frontal barrier at highway speeds for sustained periods and they told me and I quote... "they couldn't break the darn thing!.." )

Which means probably all their fleet, not just the FEH is under rated.

Last edited by gpsman1; 08-14-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:17 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by gpsman1
You are WRONG! Field tested with over 10,000 miles towing that 3200 pounds gross high-sided box trailer! Over the Rocky Mountains of Interstate 70 as well!!! Please refrain from posting about what you know not.

( Shhhh.... I'll tell you a little secret... Ford test drove the first generation FEH on a test track with a 3,000 pound trailer with a 4x8 foot (or maybe 8x8 foot) vertical plywood frontal barrier at highway speeds for sustained periods and they told me and I quote... "they couldn't break the darn thing!.." )

Which means probably all their fleet, not just the FEH is under rated.
I don't know much about a FEH but I do know how to read a owner's manual.

You are suggesting that owners ignore what the owner's manual clearly states because you "think" that you know more than the manufacturer! This clearly can cause voiding their warranty.

Anyone that follows your suggestions is taking a risk!

Old 08-15-2010, 09:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

I live right next door to the Canadian Rockies (Calgary, AB) and spend a lot of time driving in the mountains. Long uphill climbs are a regular thing and I frequently keep it pegged at 4500 rpm or higher for minutes at a time. If 1000lbs is my safe towing weight then that is what i'll do. Some of the hills I go up and down in the passes are occasionally on a 7 to 10% grade.

Quick Reply: 2008 FEH towing capacity

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands