2008 FEH towing capacity

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Arrow Re: 2008 FEH towing capacity

Originally Posted by wptski

Anyone that follows your suggestions is taking a risk!
You take a risk every time you get behind the wheel.

In this case, my case, the benefit is greater than the risk many times over.

I do usually say, just because you can do something, doesn't always mean you should. I have provided accurate information about what the FEH can do. It can run well on 85% ethanol also. I have had no unusual maintenance issues or costs in the 117,000 miles.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:48 PM
Imported from Detroit
Default Re: 2008 FEH towing capacity

Originally Posted by gpsman1
You take a risk every time you get behind the wheel.

In this case, my case, the benefit is greater than the risk many times over.

I do usually say, just because you can do something, doesn't always mean you should. I have provided accurate information about what the FEH can do. It can run well on 85% ethanol also. I have had no unusual maintenance issues or costs in the 117,000 miles.
You need to put a disclaimer in your signature for your warranty voiding suggestions!

Old 08-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

You can tow more then 1000 Lb. I would not push mush over 1500 Lb. BUT there is a price to paid in fuel economy. And I would also change my trans fluid every year if I was towing with my 09 Escape hybrid.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Thumbs down Re: 2008 FEH towing capacity

I don't know much...
Thank God we have you here to protect us from ourselves.

Some of us are just too dang dumb to know any better.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:14 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by colchiro
Thank God we have you here to protect us from ourselves.

Some of us are just too dang dumb to know any better.
Nothing like editing part of sentence! If I only owned a FEH, I could be critical of statements made here.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by wbonville
I live right next door to the Canadian Rockies (Calgary, AB) and spend a lot of time driving in the mountains. Long uphill climbs are a regular thing and I frequently keep it pegged at 4500 rpm or higher for minutes at a time. If 1000lbs is my safe towing weight then that is what i'll do. Some of the hills I go up and down in the passes are occasionally on a 7 to 10% grade.
Smart, no need to void your warranty on those expensive hybrid parts and their labor. I just ordered a new 2011 Explorer to replace my '02 Explorer to tow my boat even though my '09 FEH could do the job. The 2011 Explorer class 111 tow package retailed for $570 and now the vehicle is rated to tow 5,000 pounds just about anywhere under warranty. The warranty is why I buy new vehicles so it would be silly to void it. My '05 FEH is still covered under the hybrid warranty and I most likely will sell it while still covered.

GaryG

Old 08-16-2010, 10:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

First, since they have no way to now if you have really towed over the max amount, I say during the warranty period is the PERFECT time to test out the actual towing capacity. I also say that is is standard procedure to put low numbers in the book. I bet besides a very few select vehicles, every Ford vehicle says 1000 lb max. It's like my motorcycles. I have 3 Kawasaki motorcycles. They are very different bikes. Each one came with the exact same break in limitations as published by the manufacturer; same rpm limitation, same distance, etc.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:39 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by jworth
First, since they have no way to now if you have really towed over the max amount, I say during the warranty period is the PERFECT time to test out the actual towing capacity. I also say that is is standard procedure to put low numbers in the book. I bet besides a very few select vehicles, every Ford vehicle says 1000 lb max. It's like my motorcycles. I have 3 Kawasaki motorcycles. They are very different bikes. Each one came with the exact same break in limitations as published by the manufacturer; same rpm limitation, same distance, etc.
True but I've already heard of a owner with a transmission issue and the dealer pointed to their Class III hitch and suggested abuse. I don't know where it all went or ended but the thought is there. Just look what's suggested in this forum!!!

Old 08-17-2010, 04:34 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Just look what's suggested in this forum!!!
Bill, you sure do get excited.

We're all adults, capable of making our own decisions. With some common sense, and watching the rpm and temp gauges, you can exceed the specs. I'm not suggesting that's a good thing, but there are times when you work with what you got. If you have a big load, a short trip, don't have access to a truck, change fluids often, and are willing to stay at a reasonable speed (below 55 mph), it's not a big deal.

Now why don't you take your meds and do something relaxing, 'cause you're going to blow a gasket if you keep monitoring this thread.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:33 AM

When I was doing research to replace my '02 Explorer that I use to tow my 18' Boston Whaler, I considered the V6 Escape with a 3,500 pound tow cap.. What I found was a number of people complained about being blown all over the road on windy days while towing near the tow cap.. After reading all the warnings on the issue, I determined the V6 Escape could tow my boat but it was at a risk I was not willing to take with my family and equipment.

I just got back from a trip to the Keys for lobster season and was reminded of the road conditions of towing my boat. My '02 Explorer is rated at 7,100 pounds tow cap. but no matter how slow and careful I drove towing my boat I ran into many unsafe conditions such as stopping, road curves and acceleration onto the highway. A V6 Escape was not going to happen for me at this point so when I got back I ordered the 2011 Explorer.

There are many reasons Ford limits the FEH at a 1,000 tow cap. and it's mainly for your safety and their liability. The warranty is secondary but the FEH can break under normal conditions much less towing over the limits it was designed for. Add that you may lose control and hurt or kill someone and your insurance finds out you were negligent in towing hundreds of pounds over the towing cap..

To this day, Ford is adding more and more safety features to their vehicles to help prevent accidents while towing and other everyday road conditions. Here is just one more thing Ford has added to the 2011 Ford Explorer:

"Standard Trailer Sway Control can detect if trailer sway is occurring and automatically decrease engine speed and apply asymmetric braking to help correct the situation.* This provides more control to help you safely tow a boat or trailer."

GaryG

Quick Reply: 2008 FEH towing capacity

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands