Old 07-13-2007, 02:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default 2008 FEH "tweaked" for better City MPG

Is this new news or just new to ME?

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2007...-the.html#more

Ford Tweaks the 2008 Escape Hybrid; Better Fuel Economy Than 2007 Model
12 July 2007

The 2008 Escape Hybrid.
Ford has refreshed the 2008 Escape Hybrid with a new look, interior and exterior; two hybrid-specific upgrade packages including a 110V outlet; 100% recycled seating surfaces; and a boost in fuel economy—including nearly a 14% improvement in city driving compared to the 2007 model.

For 2008, Escape Hybrid engineers made revisions to the software in the control system to improve transparency, which is the transition between gasoline and electric operation. The transition from electric-only to gasoline power to a combination of the two now is more seamless and virtually imperceptible to the driver. In addition, the four-wheel-disc regenerative brakes have been retuned to provide a better feel.

A new Electric Power Assist Steering (EPAS) system allowed Ford engineers to tune the amount of steering assist independent of engine and vehicle speed, giving the Escape Hybrid a very easy steering effort at parking lot speeds, while retaining Escape’s hallmark crisp steering feel while driving. Thanks in part to the new EPAS system, Escape Hybrid models achieve the fuel economy improvement of up to 14% in the city cycle compared to the previous model.

The 2008 Escape Hybrid carries an EPA rating (using the new system) of 34 mpg city, 30 mpg highway, 32 mpg combined. The 2007 Escape Hybrid had a rating (adjusted using the new system) of 31 mpg city, 29 mpg highway, and 30 mpg combined.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: 2008 FEH "tweaked" for better City MPG

That info has been around for about 6 months.
The 2008 does get better MPG, and it does shut of the engine more often than older models. I got one of the first 5000 2005's produced, and in my opinion, Ford was very conservative with the demands they put on the battery pack, since they did not exactly know how well it would do in consumer's hands, and god forbid, they should have problems and get bad press with their debut hybrid. After the 2005's proved themselves, the later models were tweaked a little at a time, in favor of better performance and MPG. I think they were smart to start off conservative and slowly improve. Do you agree?

Old 07-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

It certainly makes more business sense to start small and increase production once you've established yourself in a market. I'm just thankful I get to benefit from Ford's decision to tweak the FEH; this tank of gas I should hit 36 MPG! Right now with 1/3 or so left I'm at 37.5 on the computer (I reset it at the beginning of this tank). Woo, and may I add, hoo!

Old 07-13-2007, 09:27 PM

Nice! Very very nice!

Old 07-14-2007, 08:16 AM

I've read many times the 08's had some "minor software tweaks" but never saw a number attached to that tweak.

Anyone know what else was "tweaked"?

Altho I'm almost 2k miles, I'm only on my 2nd tank of tracking. 32Mpg average for last 2 tanks, at least I'm consistant, but I love the 482 Miles To Empty !!! I'm sure if I did more city driving those numbers would increase, I can all ready get a good feel for EV mode, and feel I can maximize it most times. But since I live in the country, 98% of my driving is at highwy speeds, min 45 up to 60 mph usually. Now if it ever stops raining and summer actually starts like normal around here (100-110 days) I guarntee MAX AC will me used, but I still will beat the creap out of my mini van's 16.2mpg!!!!

Old 07-14-2007, 05:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
The 2008 does get better MPG <snip>
This is awesome, many folks suspected the FEH/MMH could be 'tweaked' for better mpg. I guess ya'll have been field testers and of course the Ford engineers have been paying attention.

It looks like the break-in hit we all had to endure is off the table too, eh?

Yes, "This car will shift people's paradigms given enough time." gpsman, I may not agree with you about the conti's but this statement is right on the money.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:10 PM
Enthusiast

Has Ford ever made a software upgrade of the control module available for owners of older models?

Old 07-15-2007, 08:54 PM

No. Enough items change from year to year that Ford cannot guarantee software from a different model year will even work in your car at all. And no dealer is willing to "experiment" with something that could do more harm than good, and be very expensive to fix.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Motown
Has Ford ever made a software upgrade of the control module available for owners of older models?
If there were no hardware changes to the hybrid driver system for '08 (though there seems to have been for the EPAS system), it is certainly possible for Ford to go back and add similar code changes to the older hybrids. Of course, I think we are talking about separate upgrades for each model year, and possibly even more if there were "running changes" made during any model year.

However, that would be development costs against vehicles that already sold. I doubt Ford would invest in doing that. More than anything, Ford would not get "credit" (CAFE, EPA, IRS, etc) for it.

I know that Mustangs have a similar "problem". A functional ram-air scoop adds HP, but only when the vehicle is moving. Unfortunately, official HP tests are done with the vehicle stationary. If Ford spends the money to add a ram-air scoop on each Mustang, officially Ford can't claim (advertise) any HP improvements. So, they rarely, if ever, will approve it for production.

Last edited by WaltPA; 07-16-2007 at 04:17 AM.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:14 AM
N/A

Having had a 2008 for almost 5 months, I must say I'm impressed with the power (torque really) in EV, the amount of time it stays in EV, and the seamlessness of the transitions. I usually notice when the ICE comes on but often fail to notice it's gone off. I'm often surprised to notice I'm in the green zone.

In my '04 (current generation) Prius, anything but snail-like acceleration engaged the ICE. But with the FEH I can stop/go for 3 miles through neighborhoods on the way home and the ICE will only come on a few times for maybe one or two blocks each time. It may not be ideal for economy, but has become something of a game to see how far I can go.

That EV whistle... I LOVE that sound !!

Quick Reply: 2008 FEH "tweaked" for better City MPG

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands