2008 Ford Escape Hybrid battery replacement- What Years?

Old 06-12-2019, 01:53 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid battery replacement- What Years?

Greetings All,
I have had my 2008 ford escape for the last 6 years and its now above 250k miles. So I recently purchased a 2nd 2008 ford escape at auction hoping to score a good deal on a replacement. Unfortunatly when I got it home it was giving the dreaded SSN error (stop safely now). Diagnosis by a local shop said that the TCM/ inverter had gone bad. The quote for $3k had me take it home and do it myself. Then had it towed to the local ford dealership to reflash the TCM unfortunately more issues arose. Now it is giving the error codes P0A1F and P0AE1 both relating to the hybrid battery.

This vehicle sat for easily a year with a dead battery before it was brought to auction. Im guessing that the cells have discharged below the threshold to recharge. I pushed the jump start button 2-3 times with no help.

I am now looking into purchasing a battery from a junkyard and have searched for information on what batteries are compatible with what years. Unfortunately I have not been able to locate anything! I know that passed 2008 they removed the 12v charging of the Hybrid battery. Does that mean I can use a 06-08 battery? Will an 09 work?

any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:28 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid battery replacement- What Years?

You could look through on-line parts resources like Tasca, Fordpartsgiant, even Rock auto. Your local library may have Ford resources available too. I would recommend checking the 12V battery since a weak or bad one can lead to all sorts of flakey issues. With a good 12V battery and a compatible wireless OBDII reader, you should be able to download FORSCAN and run a number of diagnostic tests including the integrity of the main HV battery cells and it's state of charge. Then compare the data side-by-side with your existing good 2008 and research your codes on line as well for more guidance in case you don't get any answers here. What is the dealer mechanic saying - a new HV battery is required?

Old 06-13-2019, 05:35 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid battery replacement- What Years?

There is another thread here detailing how to charge the HV battery with an inexpensive external charger. I would be looking at that. If you buy a used battery from a wrecking yard, it will almost surely be below the start threshold as well.